American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2013, 10:02:10 PM
So you think this will hurt then in 2014?

I don't necessarily think it'll help, what with, you know, the whole "rebranding" thing and all.

But Christ, they're Senators.  It's not like they're looking at the same pressure as those assmonkeys in the House. 
You pull a Kyoto on it--give it the "aw, shucks, we tried" with the old Clinton lip bite, look good to the Mommies that buried their kids with ventilated skulls, and not sweat it since it wasn't going to go anywhere in the first place.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 10:09:15 PM
I don't necessarily think it'll help, what with, you know, the whole "rebranding" thing and all.

:bleeding:  In Reince We Trust.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Wow sorta surprised not even the background checks thing went through.  I mean that is pretty wild, see how silly you guys were to ever think any actual gun control would pass?  I told you.  I mean even if it were the Supreme Court already spoke on this issue.

I bet this whole dog and pony show was done just to stir up donations to politicians, guns and gun control always does that big time.  The only competing issue for easy cash is abortion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2013, 10:18:51 PM
Wow sorta surprised not even the background checks thing went through.  I mean that is pretty wild, see how silly you guys were to ever think any actual gun control would pass?  I told you.  I mean even if it were the Supreme Court already spoke on this issue.

So you're surprised but you're also not surprised? :P

QuoteI bet this whole dog and pony show was done just to stir up donations to politicians, guns and gun control always does that big time.  The only competing issue for easy cash is abortion.

I'm sure that was part of it, but I don't doubt that the measures' sponsors were completely sincere.  And it's worth repeating that some pro-gun amendments were defeated. 

The real battles (and lots of money following those battles) are being fought at the state level.  Anti-gun types have had some success there, but there are some possible pro-gun advances in red states.  Two Americas :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2013, 10:27:52 PM
The real battles (and lots of money following those battles) are being fought at the state level.  Anti-gun types have had some success there, but there are some possible pro-gun advances in red states.  Two Americas :mellow:

The strict get stricter, and the loose get looser.  What a way to run a railroad.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2013, 10:27:52 PM
So you're surprised but you're also not surprised? :P

I am surprised the surveillance state stuff did not get passed.  That usually has bipartisan support.  I guess that so long as guns are involved somehow the Constitution wins :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

And Reid has officially pulled the bill, while making defiant statements of course.

11B4V

:huh:

http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2013/04/missouri-house-votes-to-nullify-all-federal-gun-control-measures-115-42/

QuoteMissouri House Votes to Nullify all Federal Gun Control Measures, 115-42

Today, in the shadows of a pro gun-rights rally at the state capitol, the Missouri House voted to approve House Bill 436 (HB436), the 2nd Amendment Preservation Act, by a strong veto-proof majority.

Earlier this week, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed into law what many are calling the strongest state-level protection against federal infringements on the 2nd Amendment in the country.  But that title might be short-lived, as Missouri's HB436 (and the companion bill, SB325) up the ante.

The bill, which passed by a vote of  115-42, would nullify virtually all federal gun control measures on the books – "past, present, or future."  It reads, in part:

All federal acts, laws, orders, rules, and regulations, whether past, present, or future, which infringe on the people's right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution shall be invalid in this state, shall not be recognized by this state, shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in this state.

(2) Such federal acts, laws, orders, rules, and regulations include, but are not limited to:
    (a) The provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1934;
    (b) The provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968;
    (c) Any tax, levy, fee, or stamp imposed on firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition not common to all other goods and services which could have a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
    (d) Any registering or tracking of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition which could have a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
    (e) Any registering or tracking of the owners of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition which could have a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
    (f) Any act forbidding the possession, ownership, or use or transfer of any type of firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition by law-abiding citizens; and
    (g) Any act ordering the confiscation of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition from law-abiding citizens.

Ron Calzone of Missouri First, one of the leading state-level organizations supporting the effort, summed it up. He said, "This is the full-blown nullification of all federal firearms laws which are inherently unconstitutional. This will be the strongest defense of the Second Amendment in the country."

Just a short time before the House vote, a rally of hundreds of people in support of the right to keep and bear arms was held inside the capitol.    A number of people were holding signs in support of the legislation, and the companion bill.

That companion bill, SB325 introduced by State Senator Brian Nieves, has already passed the General laws committee in the Senate and will go through a similar process there.  Moving both bills simultaneously is an excellent strategy towards passage into law as it will help fast track the measures to the Governor's desk with enough time on the calendar to override his veto.  Inside sources say if the committee move the bill forward quickly, a veto-proof majority is attainable with strong grassroots support.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Kinder chocolate eggs don't kill people, people kill people.

And besides, Cadbury's eggs are better.  :mad:

Caliga

The girl looks cool holding the assault rifle. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

So cruise missiles, MLRS, and .50 cal machine guns are legal in Missouri now?

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 19, 2013, 06:11:16 AM
So cruise missiles, MLRS, and .50 cal machine guns are legal in Missouri now?

I think only the machine gun could possibly be classified as 'arms' right?  I was not aware we had a right to nuclear arms.