American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2013, 03:46:40 PM
instead of in jail. :)

Nah, don't be silly. 
This is America; shooting folks in the face is barely a faux pas.  It's a presidential vice.

Or rather it's vice presidential. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 18, 2012, 10:14:49 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2012, 09:49:03 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 18, 2012, 07:43:35 PM
Passed my qualification for a CCDW today. :cool:

But somehow between the gun range and home I seem to have lost a piece of my pistol (the block adaptor/locking block). :blink:
:hmm:  Methinks the qualification criteria could use a bit more rigor.

No shit.

Way to go, Cletus.
:hmm:

derspiess

Looks like a wave of police trade-in S&W Model 10s is hitting the market. I'd like one for the hell of it but at nearly $300 they're way overpriced.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 07:46:31 PM
Looks like a wave of police trade-in S&W Model 10s is hitting the market. I'd like one for the hell of it but at nearly $300 they're way overpriced.

What'd they do, keep them in storage for 20 years first?

derspiess

Who knows. They could have come from anywhere. I've seen police trade-ins from Europe and Argentina recently. Wish Ihad had the cash for that Ballester Molina  I saw.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

You know, they could be Corrections recycling. If you get one, buyer beware.  :D  Take it to a gunsmith first, those things are dropped and treated like crap for their entire service life. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 06:49:56 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2013, 03:46:40 PM
instead of in jail. :)

Nah, don't be silly. 
This is America; shooting folks in the face is barely a faux pas.  It's a presidential vice.

Or rather it's vice presidential. :hmm:

Wouldn't have figured you for a whoosh.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Hey, now wait a minute.  That sounds like something Dick Cheney might have done!!

DGuller

Seriously, WTF?

QuoteCoroner: 5-year-old shoots 2-year-old sister in Ky. with his gun; mother had just stepped away

By Associated Press, Published: April 30 | Updated: Wednesday, May 1, 12:19 PM

BURKESVILLE, Ky. — A 5-year-old boy accidentally shot his 2-year-old sister to death in rural southern Kentucky with a rifle he had received as a gift last year, authorities said.

The children's mother was home at the time of the shooting Tuesday afternoon but had stepped on to the porch for "no more than three minutes," Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told WKYT-TV.

White told the Lexington Herald-Leader the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift. He said the rifle was kept in a corner and the family didn't realize a bullet was left inside it.

"It's a Crickett," White said, referring to a company that specifically makes guns, clothes and books for children. "It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun."

White said the shooting was an accident.

It wasn't immediately clear who gave the boy the gun or exactly what led up to the shooting. White did not return a telephone call from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

State police said in a brief news release the shooting occurred when the boy was "playing" with the rifle, but did not elaborate.

It is not clear whether any charges will be filed, said Kentucky State Police spokesman Trooper Billy Gregory.

"I think it's too early to say whether there will or won't be," Gregory said Wednesday.

Keystone Sporting Arms, based in Milton, Penn., produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults, but most of its products are geared toward children.

The company's slogan is "my first rifle" and its website has a "Kids Corner" section where pictures of young boys and girls are displayed, most of them showing the children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts. The smaller rifles are sold with a mount to use at a shooting range.

"The goal of KSA is to instill gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve," the website said.

No one at the company answered the phone Wednesday.

According to its website, Bill McNeal and his son Steve McNeal decided to make guns for young shooters in the mid-1990s and opened Keystone in 1996 with just four employees, producing 4,000 rifles that year. It now employs about 70 people.

Burkesville sits near the Tennessee-Kentucky state line along the Cumberland River, among the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. The small city is about 90 miles northeast of Nashville, Tenn.

It is home to a Mennonite community that gained attention in 2010 when nine of its members were killed in a head-on collision with a tractor-trailer.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

I might get Tommy an air rifle in a year or two, but even then I'd keep it locked in the safe with everything else. 

crazy canuck

DGuller, I think you have to turn yourself in

QuoteCopyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Malthus

Nothing quite says "safety" like a 4 year old's first firearm.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 10:00:36 AM
Hey, now wait a minute.  That sounds like something Dick Cheney might have done!!

:D
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2013, 12:24:28 PM
Nothing quite says "safety" like a 4 year old's first firearm.  :hmm:

Apparantly there is a market for this sort of insanity.

Quote"It's a Crickett," White said, referring to a company that specifically makes guns, clothes and books for children. "It's a little rifle for a kid. ...