American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2013, 01:20:20 PM
Check out the "kid's corner" - mostly has pics of very young kids with guns - I assume the ones with actual babies are just for the cute factor.  :hmm:

http://www.crickett.com/crickett_kidscorner.php?osCsid=p38cacquj25qhl3gd0mun3ucd5

What is the little girl with the pink rifle in the 4th row holding?  :lol:

:D

:weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Berkut

Well, to be fair we don't even know if his sister was wearing a hoodie. This could be a righteous shoot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

11B4V

QuoteWhy charge them with a crime?

To start holding parents responsible.

They are morons (honestly, buying a rifle for a 5 year old was the first clue), but being stupid is not a crime, and there isn't any reason to send them off to jail.

Disagree. The storage and improper safety , which is the responsibility of the parents is the reason they are morons and their daughter is dead.

QuoteThis is a tragedy, but parental negligence leads to serious injury or death for children all the time - car accidents being the #1 culprit, of course.

Sure it is and sure it does.

QuoteIt won't "punish" them, because how can you possibly imagine that any punishment could be worse than being responsible for the death of your child? And it won't deter anything, since the people that are stupid enough to buy rifles for their five year olds and stupid enough not to secure said rifles are stupid enough to think that such a thing could not possibly happen to THEM anyway.

Absolute cop out and them buying a 22LR rifle is not the biggest reason they are morons.

Again charge the parents and this coming from a Languish tagged "Gun Nut".

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

QuoteNot sure I agree that general deterence isn't applicable here.  It sends the message to society at large that you have to store your firearm safely......

Exactly and I'll add (...or be held responsible.)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Here's one that happened last year in my area and this guy should have know better. I say no mercy. Dont feel sorry for the parents.

QuoteDad charged with manslaughter after 3-year-old son shoots sister
By Isolde Raftery, msnbc.com

A Washington state police officer was charged Tuesday with second-degree manslaughter two months after his 3-year-old son picked up his unsecured gun and fatally shot his older sister.

Follow @msnbc_world

On March 10, Derek Carlile, 31, and his wife locked their four children in the family van and stepped out to run a quick errand at an art studio. Carlile's wife, Forrest, asked whether he had secured his personal weapon but in his haste, Carlile forgot, according to charging documents. Investigators suggest it could have been that he was also tired – the night before, he had worked until 2 a.m.

Forgetting to secure the weapon was not typical for him, he later told investigators; usually he strapped the .38-caliber revolver to his ankle with a Velcro strap or locked it in a side door compartment in the van.
Advertise | AdChoices

According to charging documents obtained by the Everett Herald, investigators believe the boy stepped out of his booster seat, grabbed his father's gun from a cup holder and shot his 7-year-old sister Jenna in the stomach.

The boy was apparently fascinated guns, Carlile told investigators, saying that he "climbs up on top of the safe and gets to the holsters."

"That's why I'm beating myself up, because I left my damn gun, for 40 seconds in the center," he said. "It's like, what the hell?"

The prosecutor wrote, "Though the undeniable tragedy and grief that has stricken the defendant and his family is staggering, compassion must be balanced with accountability for the acts which caused it."

On that afternoon, as Carlile and his wife spoke with the shop owner, they heard a thud. Rushing back to the van, Carlile screamed, "He's got the gun." He immediately administered aid to his daughter but she died just after midnight.

Detectives obtained a copy of a firearms training guide from where Carlile had trained as a police officer. One chapter addresses children and firearms and the misconceptions that children "don't know how (a gun) works" and, "they aren't strong enough to use it."

Read the original story at KING5 News

Defense lawyer David Allen issued a statement to KING5 News: "This is a double tragedy for the Carlile family that not only lost Jenna, but now also faces the possibility of losing Derek to prison if the prosecution is successful. While he takes full responsibility for this tragic accident, his actions were not criminal and he intends to vigorously defend this charge."

Boy, 9: 'Dear Amina, I am sorry I hurt you because I brought a gun to school'

Around that time, three other children in Washington state were accidentally killed with guns. Another 3-year-old killed himself; Amina Bowman, 8, was shot by a classmate who had brought a gun to school; and a Spokane, Wash. police officer's 10-year-old daughter shot herself in the leg with his gun. 
Advertise | AdChoices

Carlile could face 27 months in prison.

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 02:53:08 PM
Here's one that happened last year in my area and this guy should have know better. I say no mercy. Dont feel sorry for the parents.

Is it okay if I say they should be prosecuted, but I still feel sorry for the parents?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 02:53:08 PM

Is it okay if I say they should be prosecuted, but I still feel sorry for the parents?

Certainly, whatever floats your boat. I feel sorry for the dead kid that had an idiot parent. Not the parent

crazy canuck

I would also join the idiot gun company that markets selling to young children and supplies the weapons for that purpose.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:10:51 PM
I would also join the idiot gun company that markets selling to young children and supplies the weapons for that purpose.

I wasnt aware a "young kid" had the ability to buy a firearm. Must be something new.  :rolleyes: Get real.

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 03:15:11 PM

I wasnt aware a "young kid" had the ability to buy a firearm. Must be something new.  :rolleyes: Get real.

What are you talking about?  Do you think adults are buying pink guns designed for use by young girls for their own use or do you think they are designed for the young girls.

Yes you have been labelled a gun nut and for this very reason.  You seem to realize that putting weapons into the hands of young children is somehow wrong but your gun nutness prevents you from understanding why that is.

The Minsky Moment

The gun company is just filling a demand.
The problem is that there is a demand for lethal weapons in the form of pink toys for small children.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2013, 03:22:04 PM
The gun company is just filling a demand.
The problem is that there is a demand for lethal weapons in the form of pink toys for small children.

One of the ways to see that the demand is not met is to cut the supply.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:17:33 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 03:15:11 PM

What are you talking about?  Do you think adults are buying pink guns designed for use by young girls for their own use or do you think they are designed for the young girls.

Yes you have been labelled a gun nut and for this very reason.  You seem to realize that putting weapons into the hands of young children is somehow wrong but your gun nutness prevents you from understanding why that is.

How lame. Again you cant see past your "Anti- gun nuttiness". When you dont have an arguement you result in personal attack. I will take that as you ceding this conversation.   

I understand, which you fail too see, that is in the end, the responsibility of the parent. Funny I have an 8 y/o daughter and she doesnt have a pink rifle.  :lmfao: