American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2013, 03:22:04 PM
The gun company is just filling a demand.
The problem is that there is a demand for lethal weapons in the form of pink toys for small children.

One of the ways to see that the demand is not met is to cut the supply.
To be fair, the nature of demand makes it somewhat self-limiting.

Neil

Personally, I blame the traitors who wrote the US Constitution.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on May 01, 2013, 03:28:32 PM

The Constitution is not the problem.  It took more than 220 years before the Constitution was read in such a way as to limit the power to regulate individual firearm use.  And even then, there is still a good deal of regulatory power left, as evidenced by the many restrictive state laws that still remain in force.  Congress has simply not elected to use that regulatory authority at the federal level.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 12:34:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 12:27:04 PM
Apparantly there is a market for this sort of insanity.

Ask Ed :ph34r:

My kids have trigger discipline. And the only guns they have is Nerf guns.

GETTING THEM TRAINED UP FOR THE WAR AGAINST ISLAM
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 03:25:05 PM
I understand, which you fail too see, that is in the end, the responsibility of the parent. Funny I have an 8 y/o daughter and she doesnt have a pink rifle.  :lmfao:

Does she have a rifle of any description?

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2013, 03:25:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2013, 03:22:04 PM
The gun company is just filling a demand.
The problem is that there is a demand for lethal weapons in the form of pink toys for small children.

One of the ways to see that the demand is not met is to cut the supply.
To be fair, the nature of demand makes it somewhat self-limiting.

I am not sure we can count on natural selection to work that quickly.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:17:33 PM
What are you talking about?  Do you think adults are buying pink guns designed for use by young girls for their own use or do you think they are designed for the young girls.

Personally I think it's silly, but there are a lot of pink firearms that are marketed to adult women. 

But in any case, this is quite different from "selling to young children".  The company is selling and marketing to their parents.  I haven't seen any commercials for them yet during cartoons.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 03:44:45 PM
What are you talking about?  Do you think adults are buying pink guns designed for use by young girls for their own use or do you think they are designed for the young girls.

Personally I think it's silly, but there are a lot of pink firearms that are marketed to adult women. 

But in any case, this is quite different from "selling to young children".  The company is selling and marketing to their parents.  I haven't seen any commercials for them yet during cartoons.

In this case the guns are child sized.  They are made for the purpose of being used by children.  They are marketed as goods to be used by children. 

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:50:48 PM
In this case the guns are child sized.  They are made for the purpose of being used by children.  They are marketed as goods to be used by children. 

The rifles are made for children, but marketed and sold to their parents.  You have to be 18 (or 21 in some places) to buy a rifle, so parents hold all the cards here. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 03:54:14 PM

The rifles are made for children, but marketed and sold to their parents.  You have to be 18 (or 21 in some places) to buy a rifle, so parents hold all the cards here.

No one is suggesting that a 4 year old is going to walk into a store and purchase their own gun but just a silly is the concept that a company would make a gun for them to use and market the gun for that purpose.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 03:44:45 PM

All of which is perfectly legal, and I don't even think should really be illegal - at least insofar as I can't really imagine a meaningful way of posig a law to restrict it.

The issue here isn't that these guns are available, it is that there are people who are fanatic enough about gun ownership that they actually create the demand for guns designed for small children.

You might as well sell a car designed for little children, except that it actually goes 65 mph. Gotta teach the little ones about car safety at a young age, dontchaknow!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2013, 04:09:21 PM
All of which is perfectly legal, and I don't even think should really be illegal - at least insofar as I can't really imagine a meaningful way of posig a law to restrict it.

The issue here isn't that these guns are available, it is that there are people who are fanatic enough about gun ownership that they actually create the demand for guns designed for small children.

You might as well sell a car designed for little children, except that it actually goes 65 mph. Gotta teach the little ones about car safety at a young age, dontchaknow!

If they can make a law prohibiting kinder eggs, surely they can make a law banning child-sized firearms...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:41:08 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2013, 03:25:05 PM
I understand, which you fail too see, that is in the end, the responsibility of the parent. Funny I have an 8 y/o daughter and she doesnt have a pink rifle.  :lmfao:

Does she have a rifle of any description?

No doubt, much too your chagrin, no.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on May 01, 2013, 03:28:32 PM

Says you with the tricky Dick av.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 04:10:53 PM
If they can make a law prohibiting kinder eggs, surely they can make a law banning child-sized firearms...

Certainly the Second Amendment would not prohibit that, even as applied in Heller
The question is whether the legislature will dare to - shall we say, pull the trigger.  And the problem is that the same mentality that gives rise to demand for this product also puts into office people who will defend this business model, either out of conviction or out of fear.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson