American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2017, 08:23:02 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 03, 2017, 06:29:30 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 03, 2017, 06:00:18 PM
Better late than never I guess.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/miami-judge-rules-floridas-new-stand-your-ground-law-is-unconstitutional/ar-BBDFVMh?OCID=ansmsnnews11

MIAMI — Florida's updated "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law is unconstitutional, a Miami judge ruled on Monday.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Milton Hirsch ruled that lawmakers overstepped their authority in creating the law this year that forces prosecutors to disprove a defendant's self-defense claim at a pre-trial hearing.

The judge ruled that under Florida's constitution, that change should have been crafted by the Florida Supreme Court, not the Legislature.

"As a matter of constitutional separation of powers, that procedure cannot be legislatively modified," Hirsch wrote in a 14-page order.

The ruling is a victory for prosecutors who have firmly opposed the law they believe makes it easier for defendants to get away with murder and other violent crime.

Putting aside the issue on struck-down law...having judges decide what falls under separation of powers sounds like an unsound way to determine separation of powers. :hmm:

Uh, who exactly ought to decide a separation of powers issue?  :hmm:

Yeah, isn't it part of judicial responsibilities to judge situations? Who would indeed be better qualified?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The Florida Constitution is a bit unusual - it actually vests law-making powers in the Supreme Court, although only procedural law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Got my Utah permit in the mail.  You may commence your worship.

derspiess

I was trying to come up with a joke that involved both polygamy and antiquated revolvers, but I have a conference call in 6 minutes so I don't have the time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2017, 09:53:41 AM
I was trying to come up with a joke that involved both polygamy and antiquated revolvers, but I have a conference call in 6 minutes so I don't have the time.

Dude, it writes itself.

Q: What does a revolver and a polygamist have in common?
A: You hear the same noise six times.

There, about 30 seconds.  That's gold, Jerry!  Comedy gold!

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2017, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2017, 09:53:41 AM

Dude, it writes itself.

Q: What does a revolver and a polygamist have in common?
A: You hear the same noise six times.

There, about 30 seconds.  That's gold, Jerry!  Comedy gold!

:D

What's the difference between a revolver and a polygamist?

The main drawback of the one is the long reload time. The other's a revolver.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Meh. Like listening to Jackie Mason tell a joke. Oy vey

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

So what is up with NRA making a video that they are coming for the New York Times?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2017, 03:18:14 PM
So what is up with NRA making a video that they are coming for the New York Times?

When a presidential candidate can suggest that "2nd Amendment people" can stop another candidate, what's the big deal about a newspaper amirite? 

I bet Dana Loesch is an incredible submissive slut, though.  Anybody that angry is usually the angriest at Daddy.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 05, 2017, 09:13:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2017, 03:18:14 PM

When a presidential candidate can suggest that "2nd Amendment people" can stop another candidate, what's the big deal about a newspaper amirite? 

I bet Dana Loesch is an incredible submissive slut, though.  Anybody that angry is usually the angriest at Daddy.

Tamas dreams about her SuperBeets ads.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Nice case. The Wally World actually looks clean.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".