American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2017, 09:50:57 PM
My Yugoslavia SKS does just fine. And it has a grenade launcher attached to the muzzle.

QuoteA guy at the range let me fire his Tavor.  Trigger pull was nicer than expected. Really nice rifle. Bullpups just aren't my thing though.

Any particular reason?  Too short to be comfortable, maybe?

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 03, 2017, 10:23:42 PM

That and the weight usually seems distributed too much towards the back.  But I'm old school-- the M16A2 (or the A2 AR clone I put together) feels most natural.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I thought I was captain of the SKS fan club here. I don't have a bayonet or grenade launcher.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2017, 08:46:56 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 03, 2017, 10:23:42 PM

That and the weight usually seems distributed too much towards the back.  But I'm old school-- the M16A2 (or the A2 AR clone I put together) feels most natural.

I too prefer the feel of a Berthier M1916.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 04, 2017, 07:26:54 PM
I thought I was captain of the SKS fan club here. I don't have a bayonet or grenade launcher.  :(

It's a poor's weapon.  :yuk:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2017, 07:29:59 PM

Only dropped once in 1989 in Romania.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 04, 2017, 07:37:08 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 04, 2017, 07:29:59 PM

Only dropped once in 1989 in Romania.

Now if your talkin' SVT's, OK then.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2017, 08:46:56 AM

Yeah, I just ended up getting an AR.  It's just more..familiar.  I suppose if I want the bullpup "experience" I could convert the SKS, but all the ones I've ever seen look like cheap shit, while my SKS is in pretty damn good shape.  Meh.  Maybe I'll get a Tavor some other time.

E:  The one I got is the Springfield Saint.  Weird name for a gun, but I liked the grip (it is more vertical and comfortable than the others I was eyeballing) and the sights it came with since I probably won't ever be bothering with any fancy optics or shit like that.  Mid length vs carbine, too.

E2:  Next thing I'm wanting is an Enfield 5 jungle carbine, and...the Saxet gun show is this weekend.  I want me some 303 wandering zero awesomeness.

MadBurgerMaker

The Saint shoots pretty nice, even with the unadjusted iron sights.  Was running cheapo steel .223 through it with 2" groupings at 50 and 100 yards.  I get real squinty beyond about 10 though, so it was mostly luck, just pointing at areas on fuzzy white squares.  A buddy of mine brought a 44 Mag lever gun and a 308 rifle of some sort that were pretty fun to shoot.  SKS is the same as always.   Hit paper = good.  Pistols were fine.

A good day.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 07, 2017, 10:32:33 PM
The Saint shoots pretty nice, even with the unadjusted iron sights.  Was running cheapo steel .223 through it with 2" groupings at 50 and 100 yards.  I get real squinty beyond about 10 though, so it was mostly luck, just pointing at areas on fuzzy white squares.  A buddy of mine brought a 44 Mag lever gun and a 308 rifle of some sort that were pretty fun to shoot.  SKS is the same as always.   Hit paper = good.  Pistols were fine.

A good day.

Didn't even have to use your AK.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 07, 2017, 10:32:33 PM

A good day.

Awesome.  Country music festivals are safe again.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 08, 2017, 10:36:50 AM
Didn't even have to use your AK.

:huh:

Quote from: CountDeMoneyAwesome.  Country music festivals are safe again.

I guess? 

11B4V

The Brain

He probably used his AK on the way home or something.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.