News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2012, 12:39:23 PM
Yeah, I guess it is inevitable, but some of the dark/light quest options are really stupid.

I had one where I was on a quest to stop some Imperial double agent, and it comes down to a choice of

1. Killing him as instructed, and to protect the Empire from this traitor (light result), and
2. Letting him live in return for a giant pile of cash (dark result).

Uhhh, say what?

I had similar frustration with the operative quest where I was tasked with going to blow up some eels that were a delicacy so that the quest giver could trade for the spice that was going to go to paying for eels.  When I get there I find that the eel trader is really an imperial operative who is obtaining the spice for the benefit of the Empire.

I was trying to play my toon as lawful evil with a first allegiance to the emperor and willing to do anything to acheive the goals of the empire.  I thought the perfect dark side solution to this problem was to tell the eel dealer to get on with his business and go back and kill the guy that hired me.  But that was not an option.  Instead I had to choose between not blowing up the eels - light side and killing the imperial agent - dark side and blowing up the eels.

I am supposed to be an imperial agent right?

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2012, 01:07:22 PM
I think so...but I don't know anything about Revan beyond the intro quest line is SWOL!

The cult he's left is there in SWTOR as well, on Drumond Kass, at least on the Sith side.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2012, 01:17:04 PM
Yeah, I guess it is inevitable, but some of the dark/light quest options are really stupid.

I had one where I was on a quest to stop some Imperial double agent, and it comes down to a choice of

1. Killing him as instructed, and to protect the Empire from this traitor (light result), and

Uhhh, say what?

I had similar frustration with the operative quest where I was tasked with going to blow up some eels that were a delicacy so that the quest giver could trade for the spice that was going to go to paying for eels.  When I get there I find that the eel trader is really an imperial operative who is obtaining the spice for the benefit of the Empire.

I was trying to play my toon as lawful evil with a first allegiance to the emperor and willing to do anything to acheive the goals of the empire.  I thought the perfect dark side solution to this problem was to tell the eel dealer to get on with his business and go back and kill the guy that hired me.  But that was not an option.  Instead I had to choose between not blowing up the eels - light side and killing the imperial agent - dark side and blowing up the eels.

There are a few times when it seems like there should be more options.  I had a trooper quest where you discover some Imperial has committed "war crimes", but you need information from him.  Somehow the only options were to let him go, or to kill him on the spot.  Umm... can I not arrest him instead?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2012, 01:17:04 PM

Uhhh, say what?

I've found that being a loyal, practical, and efficient agent steers you towards the light side quite a lot.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on January 17, 2012, 02:34:49 PM
I've found that being a loyal, practical, and efficient agent steers you towards the light side quite a lot.

That was the conclusion I was coming to.  When I pick the sith side up again I will probably start another agent and play through light side options (I really like the game mechanics of that class) - although I take it my first companion will have o affection for me if I do that.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2012, 02:40:43 PM

That was the conclusion I was coming to.  When I pick the sith side up again I will probably start another agent and play through light side options (I really like the game mechanics of that class) - although I take it my first companion will have o affection for me if I do that.

Yeah - my conclusion for empire was that dark side equalled being a murderous psycopath, while light side alternated between being coldly efficient, and having some level of sympathy.

If you like the mechanics of the agent, give a smuggler a try.  Same mechanics, it's still republic but you have way more latitude in your responses.

katmai

Pfft I am trying to be a cold murderous bastard and still stuck as a "grey" sith.

Can't get my Dark side score high enough because of some of these silly choices.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2012, 02:43:44 PM
Yeah - my conclusion for empire was that dark side equalled being a murderous psycopath,
For the warrior at least it gets better the higher up you get.

The only thing that annoyed me is that my character is turning pink so i turned off the dark side effecting your appearance thing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Not really, your first companion is more of a rebel without a clue type than any kind of actually evil person. Kind of a weirdo anarchist.

My agent has always been light side. But it is easy to move from one to the other, and it doesn't matter enough to warrant starting over.

Beebs, how far along are you anyway? Is there some reason you don't just move to Kaas City, even if it is on the republic side? I was going to make a trooper, but don't want to play on another server, since legacy stuff appears like it is going to be cross faction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2012, 02:58:20 PM

Not really, your first companion is more of a rebel without a clue type than any kind of actually evil person. Kind of a weirdo anarchist.

My agent has always been light side. But it is easy to move from one to the other, and it doesn't matter enough to warrant starting over.

Beebs, how far along are you anyway? Is there some reason you don't just move to Kaas City, even if it is on the republic side? I was going to make a trooper, but don't want to play on another server, since legacy stuff appears like it is going to be cross faction.

I'm level 26, and it took me a month to get to this point.  Plus if you guys are all playing imperials I don't see any big advantage to me playing all by my lonesome with the republic.

Yeah, legacy stuff is cross-faction, but so far all it includes is your legacy name.

Solmyr

Kaliyo does actually prefer light side choices sometimes, for example killing Watcher X at the end of Nar Shaddaa. She's not even all-dark usually, she just likes snarky responses.

crazy canuck

Good advice.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2012, 04:35:35 PM

Good advice.

Your final dark side / light side level doesn't matter, and can be changed.  But the conversations do play out quite differently depending on which option you pick - and you can't go back and see the other options.  I've noticed that with my jedi knight alt - I levelled to 10 in beta and went 100% light side, but now in live I've taken some dark side options which really changed things.

I don't know that I'd recommend going back and levelling two (or more) of every character, but if you choose to do so you will see some different content.

Solmyr

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2012, 09:48:07 AM
Give in to your love.  Embrace the light side of the force.  Together we can aid the galaxy.

Now see, it's bullshit like that why I prefer playing Sith.