News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

You are in a world of Sith, CC.  ;)

There no Rule of Two in that period, and one NPC sums it best by quipping that it's usual expectation that when two Siths enter in a room and meet, only one exits it.

Scipio

I'm trying to convince my wife to go in for this.  She may like the companions enough to do it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Berkut

Is there anywhere in the SW mythos where there are force users who do subscribe to one of the two extremes of Sith and Jedi?

They are both basically idiotic, really.

BTW, how does Luke Skywalker ever get married anyway? Aren't Jedi supposed to be basically celibate, what with the no passion thing?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Scipio

Quote from: Berkut on January 16, 2012, 07:04:48 PM
Is there anywhere in the SW mythos where there are force users who do subscribe to one of the two extremes of Sith and Jedi?

They are both basically idiotic, really.

BTW, how does Luke Skywalker ever get married anyway? Aren't Jedi supposed to be basically celibate, what with the no passion thing?
Just like the Shakers, they found out that shit don't propagate.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Yeah...remember the early, early days of WoW, when every 14 year old Timmay off his Ritalin rolled Alliance, and there wasn't enough Horde to go around?

Well, it's like that.  Only worse.

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on January 16, 2012, 07:04:48 PM

He is the only known living force user around, and is de facto a Jedi Master. So he gets to start anew and decide, without a Jedi Council to chastise him.

No one told him that Jedi were supposed to be celibate, only that Jedi must learn to control and restraint their feelings and intuition. I'm not even sure Luke knows the Jedi code, or that the fact that his mother being married to Anakin in secret and pregnant of him and Leia drove Anakin insanely greedy to the point of becoming Darth Vader for their sake. He only knows that Anakin was a great Jedi, got seduced by the Dark Side and became Darth Vader. You'd think Obi-Wan's force ghost, or even Anakin's, would be the first to tell him it's a bad idea, especially to marry a force user trained to the Dark Side by Sidious himself. But no one said that Luke and Mara Jade's love story was insanely passionate like Padmé and Anakin's was. Anakin's first priority was to make peace with Leia, because he had already made peace with Luke on Death Star II.

Then again, maybe he did tell off-record Luke's it was bad advice, but as the Sith are now believed to be extinct the threat of direct manipulation is gone. Luke was well passed puberty when he was trained, and wasn't trained to be a monk. He was trained to be the last hope of the Alliance, plus the only one who could face Vader and the Emperor and have a chance to live.

Berkut

QuoteI'm not even sure Luke knows the Jedi code, or that the fact that his mother being married to Anakin in secret and pregnant of him and Leia drove Anakin insanely greedy to the point of becoming Darth Vader for their sake.

I would say that Anakin was well on the way towards the Dark Side before he married Padme, she was more the final straw than anything else.

Which is kind of silly, when you think about it. How did Yoda and Obi-wan not see pretty clearly what was happening? It was blindingly obvious that Anakin lacked anything like the tempermant necessary for the Jedi Order, and was pretty much a stereotype of what becomes Sith.

I guess maybe the Sith were gone so long at that point they didn't really understand the danger beyond the theoretical.

My theory is that for someone like Anakin, the strictures of the Jedi Order are basically so impossible that attempting to mold him into that makes his failure (and hence turn towards the Dark side) inevitable. A more nuanced view of emotion and less radically nutty ethical structure could actually be *better* at keeping someone like Anakin from turning to the dark.

That is my pet SW theory anyway - that the Jedi are just as bonkers as the Sith. In an effort to reject the radicalism of the Sith, they've become just as radical themselves, and with nearly as bad consequences.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Drakken on January 16, 2012, 11:23:45 PM
You'd think Obi-Wan's force ghost, or even Anakin's, would be the first to tell him it's a bad idea, especially to marry a force user trained to the Dark Side by Sidious himself.

That's what happens with trying to retro-write bad screenplays along the way.

Faeelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2012, 07:08:52 PM
Yeah...remember the early, early days of WoW, when every 14 year old Timmay off his Ritalin rolled Alliance, and there wasn't enough Horde to go around?

Well, it's like that.  Only worse.

The problem is that the Sith quests seem better. I have a Sith Sorcerer, and I started a Republic Commando, but I just don't care about the commando. The plot's a bit dull, and there's no personal edge to it.

I mean, I'm someone who is tempted to quit playing the Sith because of all the idiots who think they should be more "nuanced" and are "misunderstood," but the plot really is better.

Faeelin

Speaking of the dullness of the Republic Commando, are the Jedi classes' plots interesting?

Barrister

I don't see how the trooper's quests are dull. :huh:

I mean - I guess it isn't personal - you're a soldier doing your duty, and the quests all revolve around that, not what your backstory is.  But the quests seem pretty interesting to me.

I did Jedi Knight up to 10 and again, it didn't really capture me too much.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2012, 05:59:33 PM
If my old guild and you guys, with the exception of BB, werent all playing Empire I would probably give the Republic a go.

Give in to your love.  Embrace the light side of the force.  Together we can aid the galaxy.

Barrister

Oh, and I finally got to Tatooine last night.  So much Star Wars love on that planet.   :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2012, 12:41:20 AM
Which is kind of silly, when you think about it. How did Yoda and Obi-wan not see pretty clearly what was happening? It was blindingly obvious that Anakin lacked anything like the tempermant necessary for the Jedi Order, and was pretty much a stereotype of what becomes Sith.

They mention they feel like Anakin is bad news but they did what they did anyway.  It was stupid and inexplicable but it is the SW prequels: they are not coherent or make sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2012, 09:52:42 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2012, 12:41:20 AM

They mention they feel like Anakin is bad news but they did what they did anyway.  It was stupid and inexplicable but it is the SW prequels: they are not coherent or make sense.

I dunno, Obiwan had this entire emotional "ZOMG HOW CAN THIS BE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE ONE!" moment, like it was totally shocking to him that this could happen.

But your right, it is the SW prequels, were any kind of even remotely subtle character development was to be avoided.

0 rows returned