News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Montreal 2012

Started by garbon, October 12, 2011, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2012, 09:47:27 PM
So it is definite and umm...Zoups if you don't wanna ditch me this time, I'll be around. :D

And holla at you too, Grallon. :P

Hmmm

We could have dinner.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Zoupa

Huh I didn't ditch, oh queerest. I suggested a meet and you were all "haha yeah right!".  :glare:

When are you coming?

Syt

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Fukyu+sushi+C%C3%B4te+Neiges+forced+change+inappropriate+name/7239040/story.html

QuoteFukyu sushi bar in Côte des Neiges forced to change 'inappropriate' name

MONTREAL - A Montreal restaurant has been ordered to put up a new sign, after the name "Fukyu Bar à Sushi" was said to be in bad taste by a Quebec Superiour Court judge.

Named after a type of kata practised in Japanese martial arts, "Fukyu" may have been a hit with certain diners who snickered and took pictures of the sign outside the recently-opened Côte des Neiges restaurant.

It was less amusing to the judge, who sided with the Jean Talon St. restaurant's landlord and neighbouring tenants.

"As it is, the word is clearly inappropriate given its meaning when pronounced in a Montreal context," wrote Judge Kirkland Casgrain in his Aug. 23 decision which gave restaurant part-owner John De Melo 24 hours to cover up the word "Fukyu."

It's an unusual case in commercial real estate, where disputes erupt between tenants over bad smells or loud noises, but rarely over signage, said lawyer David Ghavitian who represented the restaurant's landlord L.G. Plaza Inc. While edgy branding has creeped into retailing, like the company French Connection (FCUK), a play on the F-word doesn't go over as well in real estate, where the ability to attract and keep tenants is key to a property's value.

"It's not so much for the tenants who are there, but it's for the next tenants where there is a vacancy," said Bernie Marcotte, senior managing director of Cushman & Wakefield Ltd. Montreal.

"If you're an accounting firm, you might not want to be associated with that."

Most commercial real estate leases not only have special clauses that oblige tenants to get their landlord's permission before putting up a sign, but detailed guidelines as to what type of signage is appropriate, Marcotte said. The lease signed between De Melo and L.G.'s representative Sam Rosenberg included such a clause to "prevent situations like this," Ghavitian said.

"As far as the signage, we have to be sure that it didn't offend anybody because it would diminish the value of the property."

In an interview, De Melo said he and his two partners chose the name "Fukyu" because of its Japanese origin and because he thought it would make the restaurant stand out in a city with countless sushi bars. It worked.

"We picked the name because it's a Japanese sushi restaurant and of course, because it would turn heads," De Melo said. "The word itself makes you take a second look. It was never intended to offend anyone."

But in late July, the landlord began receiving complaints about the name from other tenants in the building, along with other companies that considered moving in, court documents filed by Ghavitian say.

The owner of one long-standing company in the building, which has a business selling urns, said in a letter that while he found the name to be "highly amusing" on a personal level, it caused him professional problems given the sombre nature of his work.

"As we are in the funeral business, I am not so sure that giving directions to clients who have recently lost a loved one by telling them that we are 'two doors down from Fukyu' will go down very well with them."

Following the court decision, the two sides have managed to come to an agreement. De Melo and his two partners have since ordered a new sign for the restaurant and have come up with a new name — Kabuki Bar à Sushi, named after the traditional Japanese theatre.

"It's very fitting," De Melo said. "Because this story was quite a drama."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on September 15, 2012, 11:31:05 PM
Huh I didn't ditch, oh queerest. I suggested a meet and you were all "haha yeah right!".  :glare:

When are you coming?

We must have got our wires crossed then as last I recall you were like wanna meetup at a bar and watch a hockey game and I was like yeah, just tell me when. :)

Still need to finalize it but that first weekend October. In Montreal starting either Sat eve or Sunday. I feel no compelling need to be with family for Columbus day. :D

@G - I can do dinner either that Friday or Sat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2012, 01:42:22 PM
It's around four hours drive from Plattsburgh to Quebec City and it's a three hour drive from Quebec City to Montreal.
More like 2, 2½ between Montreal and Quebec city.  You need to use highway #40, on the north shore of the St-Lawrence, less trafic, less cops, less heavy trucks and a tad shorter distance.  It is more confusing around Trois-Rivières (halfway through) if you don't pay close attention to the signs.  But it shouldn't be a problem for people used to Toronto or New York ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It's also less boring.

:bleeding: @ the 20.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2012, 01:31:20 PM
Thursday - in evening drive from NYC to Plattsburgh (or there abouts). 
Friday - get up early and drive up into Quebec City. Spend the night there.
Saturday - hang out in Quebec City for the day then drive to Montreal in eve. Spend night in Montreal
Sunday - hang out in Montreal, spend night in Montreal
Monday - morningish drive to NYC
If I were you, I'd drive up to Montreal on Thursday, than go to Quebec city on Friday, leave saturday night.
Maybe I could arrange a quick dinner Friday night, in Quebec city, but I doubt I'll be able to on Saturday.  Unless I manage to get my usual fall chores done for the week-end, I'll have work to do on the Saturday of this week-end.
I'll pick the restaurant depending on where you'll stay, to avoid any unncessary travels.

You could easily spend en entire day in Quebec city, just walking around the old town.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2012, 10:19:04 AM
If I were you, I'd drive up to Montreal on Thursday, than go to Quebec city on Friday, leave saturday night.

So the problem is that I won't be off work till 5, so best case scenario, I'm not looking at getting to border till midnight and then Montreal after that. I'm a little leery given how much flak I got when going to Montreal last year when I did border crossing in afternoon.

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2012, 10:19:04 AM
Maybe I could arrange a quick dinner Friday night, in Quebec city, but I doubt I'll be able to on Saturday.  Unless I manage to get my usual fall chores done for the week-end, I'll have work to do on the Saturday of this week-end.
I'll pick the restaurant depending on where you'll stay, to avoid any unncessary travels.

Yeah then I could dinner on Friday as either way, I plan to be in Quebec City by sometime Friday afternoon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2012, 10:46:51 AM
I'm a little leery given how much flak I got when going to Montreal last year when I did border crossing in afternoon.
and here I thought they were only screening for Canadian criminals illegally importing a few whiskey bottles and a few pack of cigarettes.
in a way, I'm glad they are also protecting us against the waves of illegal US immigrants!  :)

Yeah then I could dinner on Friday as either way, I plan to be in Quebec City by sometime Friday afternoon.
Just PM me when you know exactly at what time you'll be available, and I'll try to make it work.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2012, 04:06:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2012, 10:46:51 AM
I'm a little leery given how much flak I got when going to Montreal last year when I did border crossing in afternoon.
and here I thought they were only screening for Canadian criminals illegally importing a few whiskey bottles and a few pack of cigarettes.
in a way, I'm glad they are also protecting us against the waves of illegal US immigrants!  :)

Yep, cuz like I said last year, if there is one place I'd want to flee - it would be Quebec so that I could get frowned at for not speaking French. :D

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2012, 04:06:54 PM
Just PM me when you know exactly at what time you'll be available, and I'll try to make it work.

Sure, I'll confirm the week of but for now I'm guessing I'll be to Quebec City by 2pm that Friday (only thing that could hold me up is how long it takes to get through border crossing but even on a super conservative estimate, I'd be settled in the city before 5pm).

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2012, 04:24:21 PM
Yep, cuz like I said last year, if there is one place I'd want to flee - it would be Quebec so that I could get frowned at for not speaking French. :D
All you have to do is live in Downtown Montreal, or west of St-Laurent for this to appear normal.  Speaking French, you would look like an alien.
It's hard to get service in French in most downtown parts of Montreal.

Sure, I'll confirm the week of but for now I'm guessing I'll be to Quebec City by 2pm that Friday (only thing that could hold me up is how long it takes to get through border crossing but even on a super conservative estimate, I'd be settled in the city before 5pm).
Ok, I can be in Quebec city around 19h00, maybe 18h30 depending on how things go at the office.

garbon

Got the location, I'll be at that Hilton near Old Town.

viper37

There's a good restaurant 15-20 10 minutes walking from your hotel.  Imho, if we're talking quality/price ratio, it's among the best:
Le Cosmos
They have fine (small, european type) pizzas, excellent salads and pastas.  Decent wine selection.
With wine&tip, expect around 40-50$.
575 Grande Allée Est.

If we pay more, we can get better:
Auberge Louis Hébert
With wine&tip, expect around 60-70$.
668 Grande Allée Est.

We could also go elsewhere in the city.
http://www.tonresto.ca/restaurants-en-search.html

Btw, coming from New York, if you don't stop in Montreal first, stick to the south shore of the St-Lawrence, highway 20, otherwise, you'll have to enter Montreal and it won't shorten your trip.  On you way back from Quebec city to Montreal though, use highway 40 on the north shore of the river.

Be aware that there might be some traffic in Quebec city at 5:00pm.  Usually, it's on the other side (getting out of the city), but sometimes it's jammed both ways.  Our great government in all it's usual wiseness has decided this year was a good year to repair&rebuild all 3 north-south highways at the same time.  Still, compared to New York, it should look like a sunday morning ;)

garbon

Hey both those restaurants look good. I can do either as I'll be on vacation. :D

Thanks too for the tips on driving routes and yeah that doesn't sound worse than trying to get through midtown during rush hour.  I'll pm you closer to when I'm around.

And Grallon and Zoupa - if you have any free time during those bits when I'm around your cities - invitation still open. :)