1 billion $ spending cuts proposed for Canadian army

Started by viper37, October 03, 2011, 11:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Should we say Royal Army of the Dominion of Canada now?

Anyway, it's an interesting proposal.  Let's see if the Conservatives will act on this report or simply 'forget' it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/10/03/pol-leslie-canadian-forces-transformation.html

I predict they will conveniently forget it, now that they have a majority, they don't seem that interested in reducing expenses.  It's not as sexy as hanging Queen's pictures everywhere.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Canada joins New Zealand and Belgium and defends itself by relying on a big friendly well armed neighbor.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 01:30:25 AM
Canada joins New Zealand and Belgium and defends itself by relying on a big friendly well armed neighbor.

That's pretty much been the case for the last 60 years.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on October 04, 2011, 01:55:23 AM

That's pretty much been the case for the last 60 years.

Canada had an impressive force during the Cold War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Assuming that some proper warming of the Arctic will go down during the next couple of decades, isn't this a pretty stupid move? Canada could get insane profits from new resources and the NW Passage opening, but Russia will be all over them if they don't have a decent army.

Monoriu

If we are talking about countering Russia, it'll be NATO, not Canada.  No matter how much Canada spends on defence, they can't fight the Russians on their own. 

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2011, 02:23:24 AM
If we are talking about countering Russia, it'll be NATO, not Canada.  No matter how much Canada spends on defence, they can't fight the Russians on their own.

On a battlefield which is remote to Russia, home turf for Canada, and is in the main influence area of the US, there would be no actual hostilities, only bullying by Russia if they smell weakness.

Josquius

And why not, were I in there position I'd do the same.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

No, no & no.

Altho his idea seem to be alright. We have way too much Full-time reservists.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2011, 02:23:24 AM
Actually, the main enemy is liable to be the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

:rolleyes:

Canada spends a little over $21 billion dollars per year on defence.  With our heavy Afghanistan commitments, this has gone up quite a bit over the last several years.  A cut of one billion dollars is hardly going to destroy the Canadian Forces.

And Viper - no it won't be the Royal Canadian Army.  That was never its name.  However we will continue to have the Royal 22e Regiment...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)