1 billion $ spending cuts proposed for Canadian army

Started by viper37, October 03, 2011, 11:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Canada cannot fight Russia?
I thought Canada's economy was larger than Russia's.
Isin't Russia a 3rd world country with nukes?

I wonder what's Russia's GDP and income percapita these days.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2011, 08:09:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2011, 07:01:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 04, 2011, 06:06:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:55:26 PM
Canada was conquered?

Erh... Yes?

You gotta forgive him, it's not covered at the Civ Museum in Gatineau so I figure Anglos don't consider it a Conquest.

:yuk:

That's okay, the Francophones probably don't consider their settlement of Quebec a Conquest either.  But the First Nations probably do.

Fuck the First Nations.

And the Second. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 04, 2011, 06:06:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:55:26 PM
Canada was conquered?

Erh... Yes?

I suppose if you want to define Canada as something before Canada was actually formed in order to conform to a particular political ideology....

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 09:07:55 PM
I suppose if you want to define Canada as something before Canada was actually formed in order to conform to a particular political ideology....

It has very little to do with political ideology and much to do with the actual political dynamics of the country. I think the British conquest of what, at the time, was called "Canada" (which followed the conquest of Acadia) is pretty fundamental in defining the shape of the country thereafter, including a) the strong military presence of British troops b) its subsequent loyalism c) the relationship to Britain. And that's leaving aside the conquest from Native people. It does not need to draw a direct equation between "Canada as a French colony" and "contemporary Canada" to be meaningful as an analysis. Therefore, I see very little wrong in the simple sentence: "Canada was conquered in 1760".

Of course, 1760's Canada is not 1867's Canada, and 1867's Canada is neither 1982's Canada nor 2011's Canada. But that is a constant problem in history. For better or for worse, "Canadian history" includes these elements - i.e., we have decided as a nation (or as two nations ;) ) to draw a line that would connect these different episodes. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 09:13:10 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 04, 2011, 01:55:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 01:30:25 AM
Canada joins New Zealand and Belgium and defends itself by relying on a big friendly well armed neighbor.

That's pretty much been the case for the last 60 years.

:rolleyes:

The big cuts happened during the Trudeau governments.  I know you are young but that wasnt 60 years ago.

That's nice. It's not really related to what I posted though. Try again?

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2011, 07:01:15 PM
That's okay, the Francophones probably don't consider their settlement of Quebec a Conquest either.  But the First Nations probably do.
There were no First Nations in Quebec by the time of Champlain.  Nor in Montreal.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 09:07:55 PM
From Wikipedia:
Canada was the name of the French colony that once stretched along the St. Lawrence River; the other colonies of New France were Acadia, Louisiana and Newfoundland.[1] Canada, the most developed colony of New France, was divided into three districts, each with its own government: Québec, Trois-Rivières, and Montréal. The governor of the district of Québec was also the governor-general of all of New France.[1]

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on October 05, 2011, 02:52:49 PM
That's not a credible statement.
then provide factual basis for a war of conquest in or around what is today Quebec city.  Same for Montreal and Trois-Rivières.
I'll even say, provide me a factual basis for a war of conquest along the St-Lawrence river involving the French colonists & France against any native indian nation.  Then, we'll discuss.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

If we are to speak of Canada as the French colony then it was not conquered.  France gave over the territory in the Treaty of Paris. 

When we say Canada today we speak of the nation not a colony of some other nation.  Which is, I think the point Oex understood but tried to explain away.  So when I see someone say that Canada was conquered you can understand why I would object to that.  If Viking had said something to the effect that a French Colony had been ceded by the French to the English that would have made a lot more sense but of course that would have undermined the point he was trying to make.

Valmy

Why are you so butthurt about Britain winning and taking land from France anyway?  It is not like the French never acquired any territory after they won a war.  I was in Nice and I didn't notice them bitching about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2011, 03:12:43 PM
Why are you so butthurt about Britain winning and taking land from France anyway?  It is not like the French never acquired any territory after they won a war.  I was in Nice and I didn't notice them bitching about it.

STRAßBURG FOR STRAßBURGERS!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2011, 03:12:43 PM

We could program a bot for you to pop up to defend the French interests here.  It would save some time.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 03:23:24 PM
We could program a bot for you to pop up to defend the French interests here.  It would save some time.

How was I defending French interests?  I thought I was just pointing out this was European power politics.  Territory changing hands as some sort of outrage is absurd.

Nice was the example I used because France took it from Piedmont in 1859.

I also spent time in Barcelona but those people DO bitch.  Miserable fucks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."