And we're back!

Main Menu

Bullfighter survives terrifying face goring

Started by jimmy olsen, October 08, 2011, 08:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 09:34:20 PM
Really?  Which part?

The whole thing.  They go to Pamplona and get blootered, the hero's ex-squeeze runs off with the bullfighter.

OK, I remember now the part in For Whom The Bell Tolls that talked about bullfighting.  Takes backs.

Razgovory

Hemingway had a pathological hatred for cows.  He glorified their killing in many books.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Incidentally, if I ever visited Spain, I would go to a Bull Fight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 09:12:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 08:59:57 PM
That is my understanding.

But my source is Hemmingway, who was writing about bullfighting in the 1930's. 

He also claimed that if a bull puts up a particularly inspriing fight the crowd can lobby for him to be spared before he gets a sword in the heart.

Yeah, I seem to recall that as well.  I read Death in the Afternoon too.  Still, before anti-biotics, a bunch of spears in the back was probably fatal.  It is curious how he supported the Reds who were kind of luke warm on bull fighting over Franco who heavily promoted it.  Incidentally, I remember reading that For whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway's other bull fighting themed book, was a favorite novel of both John McCain and Barak Obama.

In that case, "being spared" probably means being walked off the field before going to the butcher, as opposed to going on a cart.

Razgovory

I dunno.  Yi and I are basing this on books we read written in the 20's and 30's by a guy who eventually blew his own brains out.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 09:12:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 08:59:57 PM
That is my understanding.

But my source is Hemmingway, who was writing about bullfighting in the 1930's. 

He also claimed that if a bull puts up a particularly inspriing fight the crowd can lobby for him to be spared before he gets a sword in the heart.

Yeah, I seem to recall that as well.  I read Death in the Afternoon too.  Still, before anti-biotics, a bunch of spears in the back was probably fatal.  It is curious how he supported the Reds who were kind of luke warm on bull fighting over Franco who heavily promoted it.  Incidentally, I remember reading that For whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway's other bull fighting themed book, was a favorite novel of both John McCain and Barak Obama.

Insane alcoholic closeted homosexuals are rarely consistent in their views. Just look at Languish.

Siege

I never understood why people play with food.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

I thought the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind where the guy builds the mountain with his mashed potatoes was cool.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2011, 02:28:08 AM

Insane alcoholic closeted homosexuals are rarely consistent in their views. Just look at Languish.

Hemingway wasn't gay, you twit.