1 billion $ spending cuts proposed for Canadian army

Started by viper37, October 03, 2011, 11:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 05:27:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:03:56 PM
Marti, did you just hack Viking's account?

Eh?

Your diagram was so nonsensical I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:32:41 PM

Eh?

Your diagram was so nonsensical I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you can't tell me what is wrong with it your comment is of no consequence to me. If you don't understand it I can try to restate or rephrase my point.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 05:36:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:32:41 PM

Eh?

If you can't tell me what is wrong with it your comment is of no consequence to me. If you don't understand it I can try to restate or rephrase my point.

Let me answer your question with another question.  Do you really think there was such a thing as a Canadian army during the same time period as "Oliver's Army".  Do you also think that humans and dinasours lived at the same time?

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:41:58 PM
Let me answer your question with another question.  Do you really think there was such a thing as a Canadian army during the same time period as "Oliver's Army".  Do you also think that humans and dinasours lived at the same time?

I'm still confused how you concluded from my diagram that I argue that Oliver's Army is contemporaneous with either the Canadian or British Army.

The Act of Union occurring first in 1707, Canada being conquered in 1763 and Oliver Cromwell dying in 1658.

Both the British Army and Canadian Army decend from a common ancestor, The Parliamentary army.

I say this with the best of intentions, but you seem either to be mendacious, monumentally stupid or willfully ignorant.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Canada was conquered?

I think you have been reading too many of Grallon's posts lately.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 05:55:26 PM
Canada was conquered?

I think you have been reading too many of Grallon's posts lately.

Apparently he died for nothing.....

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 04, 2011, 06:06:56 PM
Canada was conquered?

Erh... Yes?

You gotta forgive him, it's not covered at the Civ Museum in Gatineau so I figure Anglos don't consider it a Conquest.

:yuk:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

I repeat; Mendacious, Monumentally Ignorant or Willfully Stupid.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 05:01:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 04, 2011, 04:54:34 PM
I can assure you that the Canadian Army has never killed a monarch.

Here's a diagram for you.

Oliver's Army
                                |
                                |
         -------------------------------------------------------
         |                                                     |
     Brit Army                                            Canuck Army       

Diagram fail.  The ancestry of the Canadian Army is much more closely tied to the militias than the British Army, although it was certainly influenced by the British Army.  Nevertheless, it was still the Militia until WWII.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on October 04, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Diagram fail.  The ancestry of the Canadian Army is much more closely tied to the militias than the British Army, although it was certainly influenced by the British Army.  Nevertheless, it was still the Militia until WWII.

I'd argue that the Canadian Militia has the same relationship to the Army as the British Territorial Army does. Canadian Regiments may have drawn manpower from Militia Units, but the Regiments themselves were British and Commonwealth Regiments formed, operated and maintained as if they were integral to the British Army. Basically British Army units with Canadian manpower. To the army itself the only differentiation between a Yorkshire Regiment and a Manitoba one would be the annoying fact that the Canadian Government itself was somewhat tangential to the chain of command and thus the political consequences of any action involving it would be different that the political consequences of doing the same thing to the Yorkshire one.

The Canadian Army is created during WWI from units relying on canadian manpower in British Service, who, as a consequence of high casualties are granted their own army and army group as recompence.

But, to quote Wikipedia...

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Canadian_ArmyThe Canadian Army evolved from the various British garrison forces on the North American continent in the 19th century.

I'm pretty sure something like that wouldn't survive if it weren't true, since if untrue it would massively insult Canadian Army sensibilities.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
Canada was conquered?

Erh... Yes?

You gotta forgive him, it's not covered at the Civ Museum in Gatineau so I figure Anglos don't consider it a Conquest.

That's okay, the Francophones probably don't consider their settlement of Quebec a Conquest either.  But the First Nations probably do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2011, 07:01:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
Canada was conquered?

Erh... Yes?

That's okay, the Francophones probably don't consider their settlement of Quebec a Conquest either.  But the First Nations probably do.

Fuck the First Nations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017