1 billion $ spending cuts proposed for Canadian army

Started by viper37, October 03, 2011, 11:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2011, 03:26:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 03:23:24 PM
We could program a bot for you to pop up to defend the French interests here.  It would save some time.

How was I defending French interests?  I thought I was just pointing out this was European power politics. 

I was pointing out this was a European war and you used the word Butthurt. You have a really odd way of expressing yourself.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2011, 03:26:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 03:23:24 PM
We could program a bot for you to pop up to defend the French interests here.  It would save some time.

How was I defending French interests?  I thought I was just pointing out this was European power politics.  Territory changing hands as some sort of outrage is absurd.

Nice was the example I used because France took it from Piedmont in 1859.

I also spent time in Barcelona but those people DO bitch.  Miserable fucks.

About what?  Being Catalans?  No one cares.  No one even recognizes they're a separate ethnic or linguistic group; even when they do, they still don't care.  Example: me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 03:33:17 PM
I was pointing out this was a European war and you used the word Butthurt. You have a really odd way of expressing yourself.

I was talking to Viper.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2011, 04:20:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2011, 03:33:17 PM

I was talking to Viper.

ah, an error of misattributed butthurt.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 05, 2011, 02:50:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2011, 07:01:15 PM
That's okay, the Francophones probably don't consider their settlement of Quebec a Conquest either.  But the First Nations probably do.
There were no First Nations in Quebec by the time of Champlain.  Nor in Montreal.

In the whole of Quebec?  It's a pretty big province.  I find that hard to believe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2011, 09:27:41 AM
nobody (and I mean nobody) spends as much per capita on defence as the US does.
Except for North Korea, Eritrea, Saudi Arabia, Oman, the United Arab Emirates, Israel, Chad, Jordan, Georgia, and Iraq.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2011, 09:43:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2011, 09:27:41 AM
nobody (and I mean nobody) spends as much per capita on defence as the US does.
Except for North Korea, Eritrea, Saudi Arabia, Oman, the United Arab Emirates, Israel, Chad, Jordan, Georgia, and Iraq.

Yet somehow I think you proved my point, despite simultaneously disproving it...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2011, 08:51:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 01:30:25 AM
Canada joins New Zealand and Belgium and defends itself by relying on a big friendly well armed neighbor.

:rolleyes:

Canada spends a little over $21 billion dollars per year on defence.  With our heavy Afghanistan commitments, this has gone up quite a bit over the last several years.  A cut of one billion dollars is hardly going to destroy the Canadian Forces.

Right, cutting 5% won't destroy it and neither will another 5% after that and another 5% after that. In fact, you can always cut 5%, and have virtually no effect at all! Repeat ad naseum.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2011, 10:57:47 PM
Canada joins New Zealand and Belgium and defends itself by relying on a big friendly well armed neighbor.

Canada spends a little over $21 billion dollars per year on defence.  With our heavy Afghanistan commitments, this has gone up quite a bit over the last several years.  A cut of one billion dollars is hardly going to destroy the Canadian Forces.

Right, cutting 5% won't destroy it and neither will another 5% after that and another 5% after that. In fact, you can always cut 5%, and have virtually no effect at all! Repeat ad naseum.

Given our Afghanistan expenditures, the expenses for the CF have increased substantially the last few years.

I'm sure if you want to do some research, you can find some fault in how Canada funds the CF.  It's a shame you haven't done so in your post however. :(

Habbaku

To be fair, no amount of cuts in the Canadian Forces will harm the USA's ability to defend Canada.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:02:21 PM

Given our Afghanistan expenditures, the expenses for the CF have increased substantially the last few years.

I'm sure if you want to do some research, you can find some fault in how Canada funds the CF.  It's a shame you haven't done so in your post however. :(

I don't need to do any research to point out the absurdity in "Gosh, we spend $21 billion, so a cut of $1 billion is hardly going to destroy anything!"

A 5% cut to the budget is drastic. It is a major reduction in spending, and you don't have to do any research to know that the standard refrain of budget cutters that THIS cut will only cut the magical deadweight and "inefficiency" leaving the core mission unaffected is of course standard bullshit.

If you want to cut the Canadian military by a huge amount, just have the balls to say that is what you are doing, rather than pretend like it is not really much of a cut at all.

Otherwise, your "logic" that 1 billion from 21 is no big deal should just as readily apply to 1 billion from 20, or 950 million from 19, or 900 million from 900, etc., etc. Is there something magical about that LAST 1 billion that makes it different and somehow irrelevant compared to the other 20 billion?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on October 05, 2011, 11:03:53 PM
To be fair, no amount of cuts in the Canadian Forces will harm the USA's ability to defend Canada.

Thank goodness our two countries are such good friends then. :hug:

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2011, 11:08:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:02:21 PM

I don't need to do any research to point out the absurdity in "Gosh, we spend $21 billion, so a cut of $1 billion is hardly going to destroy anything!"

A 5% cut to the budget is drastic. It is a major reduction in spending, and you don't have to do any research to know that the standard refrain of budget cutters that THIS cut will only cut the magical deadweight and "inefficiency" leaving the core mission unaffected is of course standard bullshit.

If you want to cut the Canadian military by a huge amount, just have the balls to say that is what you are doing, rather than pretend like it is not really much of a cut at all.

Otherwise, your "logic" that 1 billion from 21 is no big deal should just as readily apply to 1 billion from 20, or 950 million from 19, or 900 million from 900, etc., etc. Is there something magical about that LAST 1 billion that makes it different and somehow irrelevant compared to the other 20 billion?

Funding for the Canadian Forces has gone UP significantly in the last few years.  This is hardly the death of a thousand cuts.

No - a 5% cut is rarely 'drastic'.  And it certainly isn't in this case.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:09:45 PM

Canada should just disband their armed forces and pay 5% of the US defense budget.  Win-win.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on October 05, 2011, 11:12:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2011, 11:09:45 PM

Canada should just disband their armed forces and pay 5% of the US defense budget.  Win-win.

If the US would give Canada 5% of authority over how the US military is used, that might be a reasonable basis for discussion...