Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2011, 02:37:22 PM
It seems to me that this sort of thing is more effective than even OWS types being machine gunned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/audio-slideshow-on-the-streets-in-one-of-americas-hardest-hit-communities/article2229596/
I always wondered whether typical American's view of poverty, and government programs aimed to combat it, are colored by the fact that certain social constructs seem to make up a disproportionate share of those below the line.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 02:50:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2011, 02:37:22 PM
It seems to me that this sort of thing is more effective than even OWS types being machine gunned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/audio-slideshow-on-the-streets-in-one-of-americas-hardest-hit-communities/article2229596/
I always wondered whether typical American's view of poverty, and government programs aimed to combat it, are colored by the fact that certain social constructs seem to make up a disproportionate share of those below the line.

Elaborate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

The strong correlation between poverty and race turns the poor/rich issue into a black/white issue.  That also allows GOP, a party that in its current incarnation is decidedly the party of the oligarchs, appeal to the people whose economic interests it would be trampling on.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2011, 02:50:26 PM

I think the typical American's view of government programs aimed to combat to poverty are strongly influenced by the failures and pathologies of Johnson's Great Society.

Razgovory

How much of it was actually a failure though?  Did poverty rates increase, decrease, or stay the same during the period?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 04:07:49 PM
How much of it was actually a failure though?  Did poverty rates increase, decrease, or stay the same during the period?

Poverty rate is a useless measure.  If median income goes up, a person that was not in poverty before is now in poverty.  And vice versa.

Teenage pregnancy, single mother households, inner city crime, drug use, pretty sure all those things went up.

Razgovory

Are those good indicators of poverty?  Doesn't seem so.  Teenage pregnancy increasing seems to be a good indicator of teenage pregnancy going up.  Not poverty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 04:17:05 PM
Are those good indicators of poverty?  Doesn't seem so.  Teenage pregnancy increasing seems to be a good indicator of teenage pregnancy going up.  Not poverty.

Is change in the poverty rate the only possible metric for assessing the failure or pathology of an anti-poverty program?  Doesn't seem so.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2011, 04:19:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2011, 04:17:05 PM

Is change in the poverty rate the only possible metric for assessing the failure or pathology of an anti-poverty program?  Doesn't seem so.

Okay, So I found a graph that followed one of your metrics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is it your contention that poverty has been steadily increasing since 1962?  The graph seems to indicate this, if indeed this is a useful metric of measuring poverty.

Admiral Yi

No, it is not my contention that poverty has been steadily increasing since 1962.  Because of the way we measure poverty, I would expect the poverty rate to be relatively steady.  Which is really the fundamental critique of the Great Society, since the intention of that bundle of programs was to remove people from poverty, rather than improving the living conditions of a permanent underclass.

My contention is that the Great Society, among other things, incentivized large, single mother families, and rendered black fathers a liability rather than an asset.

Razgovory

Do you have anything to actually prove all this?  From what I've seen the level of poverty by the way we measure poverty did not remain relatively steady during the 1960's, rather in declined dramatically.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2011, 05:19:59 PM
My contention is that the Great Society, among other things, incentivized large, single mother families, and rendered black fathers a liability rather than an asset.

I agree that Johnson erred in pushing through the Black Fathers as a Liability Act of 1965.

Or at least I would agree if that had actually happened.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2011, 05:28:54 PM
I agree that Johnson erred in pushing through the Black Fathers as a Liability Act of 1965.

Or at least I would agree if that had actually happened.

I'm sure he gave it a different name.

Ideologue

Perhaps social disintegration simply strikes at the poor first, and blacks making up a disproportionate number of the poor in the U.S., it led to the (current) asymmetric result.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)