Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 16, 2011, 06:04:50 PM
So really it doesn't stand for anything except that they are pissed at something.  Their contempt for the Tea Party is all the more ironic for this.
I think we should build a giant cage in North Dakota and put all the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street people in it, and order them to fight to the death.  I hope they do because it will be fun to watch, but if not then no biggie since they'll all just freeze to death come January. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on October 16, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2011, 02:57:07 PM
Just because people don't go along with whatever nonsensical hippie bullshit is going on at any given moment doesn't make one a reactionary.

Fair enough, but...

QuoteI'm fascist. Machinegun the hippies.

Could be considered reactionary.

I'm 'zany'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2011, 06:06:31 PM
So really it doesn't stand for anything except that they are pissed at something.  Their contempt for the Tea Party is all the more ironic for this.
I think we should build a giant cage in North Dakota and put all the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street people in it, and order them to fight to the death.  I hope they do because it will be fun to watch, but if not then no biggie since they'll all just freeze to death come January. :)

You could just get a divorce, you know...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2011, 07:45:26 PM
And your... heaving objection lies where exactly?
I would imagine that such a movement so totally lacking in ideas or substance can get such support.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2011, 08:03:03 PM
Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2011, 07:45:26 PM
And your... heaving objection lies where exactly?
I would imagine that such a movement so totally lacking in ideas or substance can get such support.

Yeah, I'm completely baffled...and saddened.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2011, 08:34:10 PM
So, you a Herman Cain guy Garbon?

No, I mean some individual members might be, but despite this protest stemming from the ideas of a couple Canadians, I don't think it is anti-America. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Infrastructure:  The trillion dollars for infrastructure could be obtained from borrowing at the present low rates, Cal.  I think we all agree (to take a page from Joan) that at the very least a Keynesian stimulus would be more useful than this prikhvatizatsia nonsense.

Negative income tax: I applaud them going one further and demanding what Milton Friedman concluded was the only way to liberate the labor market, and the best way to ensure a secure citizenry--not minimum wages, not welfare, but the right to life and dignity of every American.  Thing is, I don't know why they guy has both this and "living wage" in that list.  They're sort of the same thing, that is, a negative income tax is a way to arrive at a living wage.  Unless you wanna be hypertechnical and say that NIT is not a "wage," but the other beauty of NIT is that it obivates the necessity/desirability for companies to provide living wages to employees entirely.

Debt cancellation: I agree that the a full jubilee is a bridge much too far.  That's a little ridiculous.  Making our $900bn in student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy would be a step in the right direction.

Free college: yeah, fuck that, and fuck free high school, free middle school, and free kindergarten.  Let's become the nation of idiots we always wanted to be.  P.S. free college does not mean "free college for all."  But let's jump on board that conclusion train.  (Actually, it might for these guys.  But that's not what it says.)

Hydrocarbon weaning: this needs to be done, and government needs to take the lead, but radicalism in shifting to a energy regime is not going to do anyone any favors.  Besides, we need nuclear power plants to enrich our plutonium and make our tritium.  Duh.  Hell, even if you want to be hippie peacenik about it, He-3 for aneutronic fusion testing comes from nuclear reactors.

Credit reporting outlawry:  Yeah, no.  That said, banning its use by employers is a good idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 10:27:11 PM
Credit reporting outlawry:  Yeah, no.  That said, banning its use by employers is a good idea.
I disagree.  A credit report is a good way for an employer to spot a dishonest employee during the recruiting stage.

As for free college, well devaluing a college education even more than it already is won't help.  How does society benefit by making people take an additional four years of high school before getting a shitty service job?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2011, 08:00:08 PM

You could just get a divorce, you know...

I thought the same thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

North Dakota is a lovely state! :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

And already full of Tea Partiers, so he's got less work to do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2011, 08:26:46 PM
Yeah, I'm completely baffled...and saddened.

Replace a few names with domesticated animals, and the reports begin to sound amazingly like the first half of Animal Farm.
Experience bij!

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 10:27:11 PMCredit reporting outlawry:  Yeah, no.  That said, banning its use by employers is a good idea.

Why shouldn't employers be allowed to mitigate against risks? If you're in serious credit trouble you have motive - not necessarily inclination nor opportunity, mind you, but motive certainly - to commit fraud. The employees a company hires are potentially awesome, great workers - but they are also potential liabilities.
and the horse you rode in on