Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:06:25 AM
What would happen if the cops went home?

I'm not sure how cities would continue to function if protesters decided to hangout in the streets. Also, I think we'd rapidly decay into a third world situation. Who wants squatters everywhere? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2011, 06:13:47 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:06:25 AM
What would happen if the cops went home?

I'm not sure how cities would continue to function if protesters decided to hangout in the streets. Also, I think we'd rapidly decay into a third world situation. Who wants squatters everywhere? :x

Be the change you wish to see in the world.  If you don't want armies of quasi-homeless people, either disperse them with force and kick us farther down the road to the civil war that is all but inevitable,* or enact policies which will ease the tensions and begin to heal our wounded nation.

*Hyperbole?  Probably.  I'm a little tired. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Oh and then we have all the trespassing and property damage. Like the store owners near Zuccotti park who have installed bathroom locks after the were experiencing flooding from protesters bathing in their restrooms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Sometimes being a self-sustaining community means taking things from neighboring communities.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:17:03 AM
Be the change you wish to see in the world.  If you don't want armies of quasi-homeless people, either disperse them with force and kick us farther down the road to the civil war that is all but inevitable,* or enact policies which will ease the tensions and begin to heal our wounded nation.

:huh:

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:21:35 AM
Sometimes being a self-sustaining community means taking things from neighboring communities.

I thought that the protest needs to gain sympathy in order to be effective. Not sure how that would gain them any sympathy.

garbon

Btw interesting article on NYC

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/10/16/2011-10-16_good_times_coming_back_to_the_city_tech_real_estate_education__tourism_lead_way_.html

QuoteThe national economy is still wobbly, but there's good news on the local front: New York City has regained many jobs lost in the recession, spawned new businesses and is attracting investment dollars in key areas.

A key driver has been New York's $31 billion tourism industry. The city expects up to 50 million tourists this year to book hotel rooms, swarm stores and fill restaurants.

"Tourism has become our new export industry," said Barbara Byrne Denham, chief economist at real estate investment services firm Eastern Consolidated.

There's also been dramatic growth in technology, real estate and educational services.

Since September 2009, New York has regained 100,000 jobs - some two-thirds of the 140,000 lost in the downturn. That's three times the national rate.

"Relative to other major American cities, the fundamentals in New York are pretty strong," said Seth Pinsky, president of the New York City Economic Development Corp.

Neji Ramaida is a case in point. The 32-year-old from Flushing, Queens, was barely making ends meet when he lost his catering job last year.

A city Workforce1 Career Center helped him find work as a concierge in a local hotel.

Then he landed a better job at Yotel, a high-tech, mid-priced hotel that opened in June near Times Square. Now, Ramaida fields calls from visitors as a member of the hotel's "pre arrivals crew" where workers earn $45,000 to $50,000 a year.

He's not alone. Yotel, the largest hotel to open in the city this year, has hired 232 workers, part of a city tourism hiring boom.

"I feel good," Ramaida said. "Things are falling into place."

There are still reasons to worry. Over the past few months, local job growth has slowed and the state controller says the financial sector could lose nearly 10,000 jobs by the end of next year.

Still, amid the doom and gloom, there are bright spots.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2011, 06:22:07 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:17:03 AM

:huh:

I mean, I prefer the latter.  But unless this country changes, it will only get worse and worse till people truly do not have anything to lose.  And we will miss the days of peaceful protests which inconvenienced some commuters and flooded a bathroom.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2011, 06:23:29 AM

I thought that the protest needs to gain sympathy in order to be effective. Not sure how that would gain them any sympathy.

Come now.  You wouldn't grant sympathy to the protesters if they all set themselves on fire in the middle of Times Square.  You'd complain about how it blocked traffic or something.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:29:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2011, 06:23:29 AM

Come now.  You wouldn't grant sympathy to the protesters if they all set themselves on fire in the middle of Times Square.  You'd complain about how it blocked traffic or something.

Probably not - because I still have no idea on what they actually want. :D

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:25:52 AM
I mean, I prefer the latter.  But unless this country changes, it will only get worse and worse till people truly do not have anything to lose.  And we will miss the days of peaceful protests which inconvenienced some commuters and flooded a bathroom.

Not buying it.

Ideologue

Winter is coming.

No, really, it's like in two months. :)
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 16, 2011, 06:42:06 AM
Winter is coming.

No, really, it's like in two months. :)

:yes:

Bloomberg has stated that he wonders what the campers will do then

Ideologue

Watched a video of cops arresting a woman for being a Citibank customer (not a protestor, just being at the bank).  No way we should let them just go home.  That $3.1 million is clearly being well spent, infiltrating protest groups and manhandling entirely innocent bystanders.
Kinemalogue