News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flat Tax - please to esplain?

Started by merithyn, September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2011, 06:04:46 PM
Right now, I don't think there are any bipartisan solutions for counting to 3 or filling a glass with water.

The concepts are too complicated for the one time assistant wrestling coach?

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2011, 05:42:15 PM
The US [ ] are countries with a tradition of [ ] voluntarily paying taxes.

I kinda know what you are trying to say, but taken literally, that's a rather tall statement for a country which saw several rebellions (including the one that brought it to life) over the people's refusal to pay taxes, not to mention now has a very strong anti-tax political camp.  :D

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the country of Billy the Kid and Al Capone as one with a strong tradition of obeying the law. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 09:40:32 AM

I kinda know what you are trying to say, but taken literally, that's a rather tall statement for a country which saw several rebellions (including the one that brought it to life) over the people's refusal to pay taxes, not to mention now has a very strong anti-tax political camp.  :D

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the country of Billy the Kid and Al Capone as one with a strong tradition of obeying the law. ;)

Really?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I dont know if you are just playing dumb or whether you honestly didnt understand his point.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2011, 09:44:39 AM

Really?

Really.

Ideologue

I remember when they nabbed Billy the Kid for tax evasion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2011, 10:06:44 AM

Nice try but no cigar - never said Billy the Kid is an example of tax evasion. With such reading skills, no wonder you cannot find a job as a lawyer.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 09:57:40 AM
Really.

Sometimes you make me sad.  That was possibly the lamest and most retarded troll ever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

By the logic of those weak ties then i can assume that Poland is a nation of hypochondriac toe suckers :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 10:07:56 AM

Nice try but no cigar - never said Billy the Kid is an example of tax evasion. With such reading skills, no wonder you cannot find a job as a lawyer.

I dunno.  You're the one trying to build a thesis, "Americans lack respect for law," upon the historical example of Billy the Kid, which demonstrates the critical thinking kills of the average third grader, assuming, of course, that the average third grader has not yet come to understanding of the phrase "over a century ago."  I assume you also believe that Franklin Roosevelt is evidence that a polio epidemic is sweeping through America and that Henry Ford shows that America is possessed by a deep-seated anti-semitism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2011, 06:04:46 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on September 27, 2011, 05:41:05 PM
Do you have ideas toward potentially bipartisan solutions for this particular issue?

Right now, I don't think there are any bipartisan solutions for counting to 3 or filling a glass with water.
Anything with the word "tax" in it is out as far a likely bipartisan resolution.

Part of the problem--and this is sad--is that a lot of people don't even understand what "capital gains" means.  It's hard to have an intelligent discussion about whether or not capital gains should be taxed as ordinary income or not when people don't know what the term means.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2011, 10:29:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 10:07:56 AM

I dunno.  You're the one trying to build a thesis, "Americans lack respect for law," upon the historical example of Billy the Kid, which demonstrates the critical thinking kills of the average third grader, assuming, of course, that the average third grader has not yet come to understanding of the phrase "over a century ago."  I assume you also believe that Franklin Roosevelt is evidence that a polio epidemic is sweeping through America and that Henry Ford shows that America is possessed by a deep-seated anti-semitism.

I never said that "Amercians lack respect for law". I said that calling America a nation with a strong tradition of obeying law and paying taxes voluntarily is a bit of a stretch. You seem to act as if these traits were binary, whereas they are a continuum (and America is probably somewhere in the moderate middle ground).

Barrister

I'm pretty sure Marti was just kidding around.  I mean - there are a bunchof smilies...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 01:14:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Marti was just kidding around.  I mean - there are a bunchof smilies...

The reason I prefaced my post with "I know what you are trying to say". Since I understood what he meant, I just thought it's funny way of saying that, since Americans aren't famously fond of taxes.  ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 01:26:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 01:14:13 PM

The reason I prefaced my post with "I know what you are trying to say". Since I understood what he meant, I just thought it's funny way of saying that, since Americans aren't famously fond of taxes.  ;)

And yet Americans are famously fond of having a tax system which depends on voluntary reporting of taxes owed.  Yes there are exceptions to the rule that the IRS must track down but only a moron would try to deny that the system is built on voluntarily reporting and it would take an even greater moron to try to use such a stupid idea as the basis for a joke.