News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flat Tax - please to esplain?

Started by merithyn, September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2011, 05:04:02 PM
They're also trying to equalise tax on capital and on corporate income to remove economic distortions.  The theory is that if Buffet's paying the same rate whether he has his income as employment, corporate or capital income he won't be worrying about the respective tax schemes but will put it where it's most likely to benefit him and be economically effective.  So, basically, there's no tax encouragements by the state that distort investments.

Well no. A corporation is owned by people, so if you tax corporate earnings and then tax personal earnings again, you have created a disincentive to create a corporate business structure, and an incentive to remove wealth from the corporate form. Western countries typically have structures that large businesses with multiple investors can operate as so that they avoid corporate taxation.

Buffet's company is a corporation that pays corporate tax, but many investment companies are privately held and in forms that do not. So if you tax Buffet's corporation at 35%, and then add a personal tax rate on Buffett of an additional 35% (or so), what a great incentive for parts of his business to be sold or transferred to partnerships where the owners only pay personal taxes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 03:53:22 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 21, 2011, 03:36:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 03:06:08 PM
You have to also remember that "simplifying the tax code" is not as easy if you want to keep competitive for foreign (or local) investors. It makes sense to keep corporate income tax low (or eliminate it in certain transactions/set-ups) as otherwise a number of corporate entities you have in your group structure would affect the amount of tax you pay - which would make no sense.

But this means that the same system can be used by the rich to avoid paying the same level of taxes as everybody else.
I think most people think about personal income taxes when talking about simplifying the tax code.
Designing corporate taxes in a way that money that is taken out of the company as personal income is considered just that and taxed accordingly should be feasible, no?

Not really. There is a host of reasons/things at work here.

You could spend company money of your 100% owned company for personal stuff (e.g. companies can buy houses, cars, food etc.) and noone can do a shit.

Self-employed people need to be as competitive as companies, and thus cannot be taxed more. So you just go into self-employment and sell services to your former employer, as opposed to be an employee - voila, you pay a corporate income tax rate!

Capital gains tax is the same for everyone and can be used to circumvent personal income tax.

You could source your income through a Cypriot or a Jersey structure and pay hardly any taxes.

Etc.

Etc.

I hope you don't moonlight as a US tax advisor, or you and your clients are likely to end up in the big house.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

DGuller

You could spend company money of your 100% owned company for personal stuff (e.g. companies can buy houses, cars, food etc.) and noone can do a shit.

Self-employed people need to be as competitive as companies, and thus cannot be taxed more. So you just go into self-employment and sell services to your former employer, as opposed to be an employee - voila, you pay a corporate income tax rate!

Both of those workarounds seem like not workarounds at all, at least if my vague understanding of US corporate laws is correct.  AFAIK, you can't use corporate assets for personal use, in any guise.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 05:36:24 PM

Both of those workarounds seem like not workarounds at all, at least if my vague understanding of US corporate laws is correct.  AFAIK, you can't use corporate assets for personal use, in any guise.
in any case (at least in canada) when an employee uses company property like cars or condo's they're taxed on the value of the use.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Yet again Marti gives us pause to take his claim to be a lawyer seriously.

I wish my personal law corporation could just buy everything I need in my personal life.  But who knows maybe that is the way things work in Poland.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2011, 07:07:46 PM

I wish my personal law corporation could just buy everything I need in my personal life.  But who knows maybe that is the way things work in Poland.

Cocaine is a business expense. :angry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2011, 07:07:46 PM

I seem to recall Marty mentioning he did something with Maritime law, so everything he says about law may be true, but only at sea.  Then again, he might simply be a Sea Lawyer, which isn't really a type of lawyer. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sea%20lawyer and thus our confusion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I'm not a lawyer in any country, but know that in the US if you comingle personal and corporate assets you are just asking for the liability protections of the corporations to be disregarded, and that if you try to deduct personal expenses through a corporation you will end up in big trouble with the IRS if you get caught. So when Marty says "noone can do shit", noone is excluding the judicial system, the IRS, and law enforcement. But beyond those groups, I think Marty is basically correct. For example, a baker can't do anything about tax evasion or fraud without them.

Also, in the US (and I'm guessing this might be different in Poland), if you are a contractor to a company you will pay at a personal tax rate in almost every circumstance.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2011, 07:34:16 PM
Cal wants a flat chest tax.
I'd use the revenues raised to pay for mandated implants.  That way I would eventually remove the need for the tax.  Government works after all! :w00t:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 21, 2011, 07:40:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2011, 07:34:16 PM
Cal wants a flat chest tax.
I'd use the revenues raised to pay for mandated implants.  That way I would eventually remove the need for the tax.  Government works after all! :w00t:

Never eliminate your revenue streams.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I used to think that grumbler pretending that Marty isn't a lawyer was a tired schtick.  Now I think that Marty pretending to be a lawyer is the truly tired schtick.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 07:47:39 PM
I used to think that grumbler pretending that Marty isn't a lawyer was a tired schtick.  Now I think that Marty pretending to be a lawyer is the truly tired schtick.

People question Marty's claim of being a lawyer not because it's a schtick, but because he consistently demonstrates both an abysmal knowledge of laws and the principles they are based on.  It's kind of disturbing actually.  If he's telling the truth, then he is what passes for the "educated class" in Poland.  I shudder to think what the rest of the country may be like.  I imagine a country where people hear thunder, look up at the sky, and drown when rain trickles down their noses or slack jawed mouths.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 21, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 21, 2011, 03:36:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 03:06:08 PM
You have to also remember that "simplifying the tax code" is not as easy if you want to keep competitive for foreign (or local) investors. It makes sense to keep corporate income tax low (or eliminate it in certain transactions/set-ups) as otherwise a number of corporate entities you have in your group structure would affect the amount of tax you pay - which would make no sense.

But this means that the same system can be used by the rich to avoid paying the same level of taxes as everybody else.
I think most people think about personal income taxes when talking about simplifying the tax code.
Designing corporate taxes in a way that money that is taken out of the company as personal income is considered just that and taxed accordingly should be feasible, no?

Capital gains tax is the same for everyone and can be used to circumvent personal income tax.

You could source your income through a Cypriot or a Jersey structure and pay hardly any taxes.

Etc.

Etc.

I hope you don't moonlight as a US tax advisor, or you and your clients are likely to end up in the big house.

I am a Pole responding to a German. Why the fuck would you think my post has anything to do with US tax laws???

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2011, 06:53:04 PM

in any case (at least in canada) when an employee uses company property like cars or condo's they're taxed on the value of the use.

On the value of the use - which is lower than the value of the asset (at least if you take into account money-over-time).