News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flat Tax - please to esplain?

Started by merithyn, September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 09:40:32 AM
that's a rather tall statement for a country which saw several rebellions (including the one that brought it to life) over the people's refusal to pay taxes

a) The Revolutionary War wasn't about a refusal to pay taxes so much as it was about a refusal to be taxed without receiving real representation in the British government.

b) What rebellions in US history have been caused by the people's refusal to pay taxes?
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on September 28, 2011, 04:42:57 PM
that's a rather tall statement for a country which saw several rebellions (including the one that brought it to life) over the people's refusal to pay taxes

a) The Revolutionary War wasn't about a refusal to pay taxes so much as it was about a refusal to be taxed without receiving real representation in the British government.

b) What rebellions in US history have been caused by the people's refusal to pay taxes?

Well, the Whiskey Rebellion - though it hardly merits the name.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Whiskey.

Fuck.  One second late.

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2011, 04:52:52 PM
Well, the Whiskey Rebellion - though it hardly merits the name.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

Excellent, thanks; I'd forgotten about that one.

Admiral Yi

fhdz

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2011, 05:01:04 PM
But no helpful link.  :D

Points for helpful link, and for being first. Malthus wins, by a nose.

Admiral Yi

fhdz

Razgovory

I would argue it was more about the revocation of a colony charter.  Various taxes might be unpopular with the colonists but most payed them with out to much trouble.  The heavy handed crack down on Massachusetts really mobilized the rest of the colonies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017