Root of Italian Disunity after Roman Collapse?

Started by Queequeg, September 25, 2011, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2011, 07:26:47 AM
And plenty of civil war in between.

Yeah the Italian cities did not really factor in until those city walls started to be built.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2011, 10:17:33 PM
Eh, it more a war against an overbearing ally.  The Italian states were nominally independent, but they lost a great deal of power to Rome.  Rome pacified some of their allies with offers of citizenship (which further eroded those states power), but not all of them.

Um no the war was because they kept being denied Roman Citizenship.  The Italian state they developed was almost entirely identical to the Roman Constitution.  The only Italian peoples who wanted more than that were the Samnites.  And even then they fought largley on the Marian side against Sulla and his allies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Faeelin on September 25, 2011, 10:09:56 PM
Quote from: Siege on September 25, 2011, 09:28:38 PM
Two inventions: Crossbows and gunpowder, mixed with the ability of city-states to support small but professional armies through trade profits.

I don't see why gunpowder promotes the independence of city states. Rather the opposite, I should think.

Crossbows and gunpowder weapons are far easier to learn to use than bows and swords.
They allowed city militias to defeat feudal armies made of knights and bowmen that needed a lifetime of training to be good at their trade.
Later on, allowed the free companies to hire dudes out of anywhere, with no training, and making them into an effective mercenary force.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Siege, I think the point you are missing is that gunpowder is useful at blowing down city walls making the defence of said city more difficult - no matter how many crossbowmen one has hired as mercenaries.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 26, 2011, 05:43:20 PM

Crossbows and gunpowder weapons are far easier to learn to use than bows and swords.
They allowed city militias to defeat feudal armies made of knights and bowmen that needed a lifetime of training to be good at their trade.
Later on, allowed the free companies to hire dudes out of anywhere, with no training, and making them into an effective mercenary force.

Massed armies came later not because of technology, but because of money.  A feudal army was cheap.  You paid them in land and then they buy their own equipment and train themselves.  It was good in the dark ages and early middle ages because money was so scarce.  Mercenary armies came about in the later Middle ages because of the rise of cities.  Cities produced real money that could be used to pay for soldiers.  Mercenary armies were often more reliable then feudal armies (these mercenary armies weren't always free lance and many were more like modern volunteer armies.  But they normally fought for money rather then loyalty.  Still the distinction between mercenary regiments, feudal levies, and early modern military formations was fuzzy).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Implicit in the question is the false assumption that a unified national state is the natural or default form of political organization and that any deviation requires special explanation.  The city-states thrived because they were viable and successful forms of political organization that satisfied peoples' needs. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2011, 04:15:25 PM
Implicit in the question is the false assumption that a unified national state is the natural or default form of political organization and that any deviation requires special explanation.  The city-states thrived because they were viable and successful forms of political organization that satisfied peoples' needs.

Yup, one may equally ask why Europe "failed" to become united in an empire a la China or Rome.

OTOH, while I agree that the Renaissance achieved spectacular results in terms of art, science, etc., the city-state was unable to avoid predation by early modern states.

Italy suffered invasion after invasion and only succeeded in not being absorbed by one state or another at the cost of playing one state off against another, resulting in Italy commonly being a battlefield.

The pros of having a city-state seem to be rapid advancement in commerce, art, science - essentially, civilization. The cons - lack of security. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

I blame walls and invasions (or threat thereof). For conquering in ye olden days nations were good. You collect a larger army and run roughshod. To defend it's different. Army bypasses yours and you city is defenseless.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 04:28:56 PM
OTOH, while I agree that the Renaissance achieved spectacular results in terms of art, science, etc., the city-state was unable to avoid predation by early modern states.

While there is truth to that, the story is more nuanced.
First of all, the city-states thrived for centuries during the high and late middle ages.
Second, while they went through some rough times in the late Rennaissance and early modern eras, it's not like the big monarchical "national" states or the empires fared much better.  France suffered horrible, ruinous civil wars.  England had the War of the Roses, a period of subjugation to Spain, and its own nasty civil war.   The German empire and its constituents suffered even more.
The northern city-states continued to survive in modified form as "region-states" for quite a while, up til unification.  Economically they stagnated somewhat but due to the early lead still had higher levels of development than most of Europe well in the 18th century.   Maybe nothing to write home about but not so bad when one considers the fate of Bourbon France and Spain.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

I thought it has something to do with the constant invasions from the Ostrogoths to the situation where Italy becomes a playground for Germany and France and later Hapsburg and Valois to fight it out on a small scale.

All attempts at central authority gets destroyed by the invader or corrupted from within by the pope while all invaders fight a faction in disfavor willing to cooperate with the invaders. The histories of all european countries is basically the struggle of the central power to maintain and expand itself, the history of italy and germany is the struggle of minor factions and invaders to destroy the central power.

Byzantines invade and all but destroy the ostrogoths, the ostrogoths revive, the lombards invade and destroy the ostrogoths. Arabs invade and weaken the lombards, the normans invade the south and kill everybody. The pope and emperor fight it out turning imperial lands in the north into city states, crusade cement status quo, large states get stable government, small states get left alone. At that point the early renaissance starts to happen and historians discuss the emergence of the middle class.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2011, 07:55:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2011, 07:26:47 AM
And plenty of civil war in between.

Yeah the Italian cities did not really factor in until those city walls started to be built.

Indeed.  That's why you keep level 1 forts, especially after history had the patch change to adjust the size of rebel stacks to compensate for larger fortresses.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)