And we're back!

Main Menu

Flat Tax - please to esplain?

Started by merithyn, September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: fahdiz on September 20, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2011, 05:04:02 PM
Not necessarily.  Again I'd say look at the Kiwi approach.  Their tax rates go from 10.5% (on income up to $14k) to 33% (on income over $70k) and, I think the top rate's to fall to 30% soon.  They've still got some credits for people on low incomes.  But I think that sort of low, broad, simple system is probably best.

Not to agree nor disagree with the merits of the New Zealand system, but on what planet is 33% income tax "low"?

Everywhere but in the US.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Not to agree nor disagree with the merits of the New Zealand system, but on what planet is 33% income tax "low"?
As a top rate.  Isn't US Federal tax 35% at top rate?

Edit:  Also with the exception of oil oligarchies and offshore tax havens I can't think of a country with a lower top tax rate worth living in.  Possibly Hong Kong and Singapore.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2011, 05:22:50 PM

Yep. 349K and above, if I am remembering the brackets correctly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Edit:  Also with the exception of oil oligarchies and offshore tax havens I can't think of a country with a lower top tax rate worth living in.  Possibly Hong Kong and Singapore.

33% last year.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Ireland.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2011, 05:29:30 PMIreland.
It's in the 40s now.  You throw in PRSI and the Universal Social Charge and you're over 50%.  That's austerity :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2011, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2011, 05:29:30 PMIreland.
It's in the 40s now.  You throw in PRSI and the Universal Social Charge and you're over 50%.  That's austerity :(

Was it lower earlier in the decade?  I know they had a fairly low corporate tax, I assumed they had lower taxes for the higher brackets as well.  Incidentally conservatives in this country pointed to the Celtic Tiger as an example of how to do taxation.  I don't think they do so now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 20, 2011, 05:32:40 PM
Ick.
Yep.  And the top rate comes into effect around about €45-50k from what I remember, top rate of USC is effective at even lower, it was something ridiculous like €15k :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2011, 05:37:26 PM
Was it lower earlier in the decade?  I know they had a fairly low corporate tax, I assumed they had lower taxes for the higher brackets as well.  Incidentally conservatives in this country pointed to the Celtic Tiger as an example of how to do taxation.  I don't think they do so now.
Their corporate rate's still 12% and that seemed to become totemic of independence during the bailout row.  I couldn't tell you if they were lower earlier on, I've only really had to investigate post-crash.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2011, 12:14:47 PM

Personally I support what the New Zealand government are working towards.  Low rates, broad base, few deductions.  The challenge is making the rates low enough that you don't need to complicate the system with credits and deductions while keeping the base broad enough that you don't end up with a situation like the US or Ireland.
There's been talk of doing something fairly similar in the US, by politicians Dem and Repub, for a little while now. I think it has some good merit to it. I think also Pres Obama's debt commission had some similar ideas, but their views pretty much went nowhere.

Berkut

A flat tax also implies that the tax is not tiered of course. When we say that the top bracket in 33%, that doesn't mean that you are taxed 33% on all your income if you are over a certain income, that means you are taxed 33% only on the income that is over the bracket. Which does make it kind of complex, since it means you are taxed at a variety of different rates for a given income. Although I suppose that if the tax system was simple enough, for a given highest bracket, the amount you would be taxed at the lower rates would effectively be fixed, right?

IE, if the brackets look like this:

0-50k: 10%
50-75k: 15%
75k+: 20%

then everyone in the 75k+ braket will always pay the same amount and rate on the first 75k -  8750.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I don't feel like reading all of this but in case nobody has pointed it out already, in the case of Warren Buffett his income tax would be utterly marginal compared to what he pays on capital gains... IIRC as Berkshire CEO he only draws a salary of like $100K.  All the rest of his enormous income is derived from capital gains and dividends which are taxed at a much lower rate than conventional income.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I thought dividends were taxed as income.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2011, 06:36:00 PM
I thought dividends were taxed as income.
I think it's at a lower rate.  Capital gains is definitely a lower rate.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points