News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flat Tax - please to esplain?

Started by merithyn, September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2011, 06:36:00 PM
I thought dividends were taxed as income.

Depends on whether they are qualified or unqualified.  Unqualified dividends get taxed at your normal income tax rate.  Qualified dividends get taxed at the capital gains rate.

merithyn

What is the capital gains rate? I mean, what is the percentage, not what is it?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2011, 10:19:28 PM
What is the capital gains rate? I mean, what is the percentage, not what is it?
in canada it's taxed as 50% income. ie if you make 100,000 you only get taxed on the 50,000 (and if it's you're only income then at whatever bracket the 50,000 falls into). There are some other things like 500,000 tax free.

dividends are weird here. there are two rates. one for eligibile and one fr non-eligible. both lower then the normal bracket. But you have to mark up the value of your dividend income to to get the taxable value, and then you get a credit for it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM
With all of the noise going on about the budget, taxing the rich, taking from the poor, etc., I'm once again trying to wrap my brain around how a flat tax is a bad thing. Can someone please explain to me the arguments against a flat tax?

Thank you mucho in advance. :)

Flat taxers are bad people, and you should feel bad for not knowing why.

I'm sure someone explained the finer points.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Meri's gone full Mexican! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 20, 2011, 11:04:40 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 20, 2011, 10:44:44 AM
With all of the noise going on about the budget, taxing the rich, taking from the poor, etc., I'm once again trying to wrap my brain around how a flat tax is a bad thing. Can someone please explain to me the arguments against a flat tax?

Thank you mucho in advance. :)

Flat taxers are bad people, and you should feel bad for not knowing why.

I'm sure someone explained the finer points.

Flat tax is what they do in Eastern Europe.  You support the flat tax, you support Putin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2011, 06:19:06 PM
A flat tax also implies that the tax is not tiered of course. When we say that the top bracket in 33%, that doesn't mean that you are taxed 33% on all your income if you are over a certain income, that means you are taxed 33% only on the income that is over the bracket. Which does make it kind of complex, since it means you are taxed at a variety of different rates for a given income. Although I suppose that if the tax system was simple enough, for a given highest bracket, the amount you would be taxed at the lower rates would effectively be fixed, right?

IE, if the brackets look like this:

0-50k: 10%
50-75k: 15%
75k+: 20%

then everyone in the 75k+ braket will always pay the same amount and rate on the first 75k -  8750.
That's exactly right. 

QuoteI thought dividends were taxed as income.
Could be, but income's split into different categories.  Income from emloyment will be different from income from director's fees (in some countries) or from, say, rental properties.  Dividends are normally treated differently from employment income.

Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

You have to also remember that "simplifying the tax code" is not as easy if you want to keep competitive for foreign (or local) investors. It makes sense to keep corporate income tax low (or eliminate it in certain transactions/set-ups) as otherwise a number of corporate entities you have in your group structure would affect the amount of tax you pay - which would make no sense.

But this means that the same system can be used by the rich to avoid paying the same level of taxes as everybody else.

Malthus

A flat tax also implies that the tax is not tiered of course. When we say that the top bracket in 33%, that doesn't mean that you are taxed 33% on all your income if you are over a certain income, that means you are taxed 33% only on the income that is over the bracket. Which does make it kind of complex, since it means you are taxed at a variety of different rates for a given income. Although I suppose that if the tax system was simple enough, for a given highest bracket, the amount you would be taxed at the lower rates would effectively be fixed, right?

then everyone in the 75k+ braket will always pay the same amount and rate on the first 75k -  8750.

Yup. Makes it pretty simple.

Of course most (sensible) flat tax plans work sort of like this, only with a single bracket - there is a deduction for X amount earned.

So (say) 0-20K = no tax;

20K + = taxed at 10% (or whatever).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2011, 03:16:49 PM

Yup. Makes it pretty simple.

Of course most (sensible) flat tax plans work sort of like this, only with a single bracket - there is a deduction for X amount earned.

So (say) 0-20K = no tax;

20K + = taxed at 10% (or whatever).

I'm glad to see you approve of Alberta's flat tax. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Taxes will always become burdensome and complicated. There will always be loop holes. Tax codes  start off much simpler (and smaller. Canadian one is like a phone book printed on rice paper). But people find work around and so either things become illegal or compromises occur (which adds complexity to calculate). Even where things are illegal there are ways around that so more laws are passed. There are reasons the tax accountants and lawyers are handsomely paid.

And that's ignoring other stuff like business incentives that muck the system up.

So changing laws for simplicities sake is, I think, flawed. That's not to say changes shouldn't be made for fairness. I believe capital gains and dividends taxes should be higher, for example. Especially in the current climate.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2011, 03:22:06 PM
I'm glad to see you approve of Alberta's flat tax. :)

I don't see any particular social advantage to it. Progressive strikes me as better.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 03:06:08 PM
You have to also remember that "simplifying the tax code" is not as easy if you want to keep competitive for foreign (or local) investors. It makes sense to keep corporate income tax low (or eliminate it in certain transactions/set-ups) as otherwise a number of corporate entities you have in your group structure would affect the amount of tax you pay - which would make no sense.

But this means that the same system can be used by the rich to avoid paying the same level of taxes as everybody else.
I think most people think about personal income taxes when talking about simplifying the tax code.
Designing corporate taxes in a way that money that is taken out of the company as personal income is considered just that and taxed accordingly should be feasible, no?

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 21, 2011, 03:36:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 03:06:08 PM

I think most people think about personal income taxes when talking about simplifying the tax code.
Designing corporate taxes in a way that money that is taken out of the company as personal income is considered just that and taxed accordingly should be feasible, no?

Not really. There is a host of reasons/things at work here.

You could spend company money of your 100% owned company for personal stuff (e.g. companies can buy houses, cars, food etc.) and noone can do a shit.

Self-employed people need to be as competitive as companies, and thus cannot be taxed more. So you just go into self-employment and sell services to your former employer, as opposed to be an employee - voila, you pay a corporate income tax rate!

Capital gains tax is the same for everyone and can be used to circumvent personal income tax.

You could source your income through a Cypriot or a Jersey structure and pay hardly any taxes.

Etc.

Etc.