News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking: Turkey expels Israeli ambassador

Started by Martinus, September 02, 2011, 11:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 10, 2011, 01:59:37 PM
Isn't the Foreign Minister from one of the nutbar parties of Bibi's coalition?
Lieberman's from Yisrael Beitein which is the third largest party in the Knesset.  They generally reresent the Russian-speaking Israelis (I think their name means 'Our Israel' which reflects that those Israelis were perhaps previously marginalised in Israeli politics) and I think especially non-religious settlers.  They're having a pretty negative influence on Israeli politics in my view. 

They're nutbar in the sense that their views are extreme, but they're not one of the small religious parties that cause problems in Israeli coalition they're a significant party.

Edit:  They're also larger than, say, Ehud Barak's party, or Labour (:weep: :wub:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Yeah, some extremist.  The guy has worked very hard to damage relations with the Saudis and Turkey.  God knows why, maybe he wants another war.  I don't understand why they haven't  sacked him.  I guess he's popular in Israel, but undermines the rest of the government.  It's like if they made Siege their foreign minister.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2011, 02:17:22 PM

Yeah, some extremist.  The guy has worked very hard to damage relations with the Saudis and Turkey.  God knows why, maybe he wants another war.  I don't understand why they haven't  sacked him.  I guess he's popular in Israel, but undermines the rest of the government.  It's like if they made Siege their foreign minister.

If he is an Eastern European, that's understandable. People in these parts seem to hold a view that foreign politics is about dignity, ego and "being right", rather than pursuing interests.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 02:23:26 PMIf he is an Eastern European, that's understandable. People in these parts seem to hold a view that foreign politics is about dignity, ego and "being right", rather than pursuing interests.
He's Russian.  According to wikileaks the Krelmin consider him 'our man' in Israel.

What you said sort of goes with him talking about even considering an apology to be a sign of national weakness.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

QuoteI hope all the people who thought the islamists winning in Turkey was not a bad thing eat their hats now.
:lmfao:
Cute.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Israel 20 Years Ago: Secular, militaristic, hostile to neighbors, functional democracy with the greatest economy in the Middle East. 
Turkey 20 Years Ago: Secular, militaristic, largely isolationist, semi-functional pseudo-democracy with a relatively weak economy. 

No obvious conflicts, areas of mutual interest, lots of similarities.  The Turks and Israelis both disliked the Arab Middle-East, both had an interest in maintaining military superiority over local Arab neighbors, and had a reasonably similar political ideology.

Israel Today: Secular but coerced by fanatical Settlers and the Putinesque Lieberman, militaristic, hostile to neighbors,  semi-functional democracy with an incredibly vibrant economy.
Turkey Today: Secular but influenced by Islamist-leaning Erdogan and Davutoglu, militaristic, expanding influence and clout in the ME, more functionally democratic with an incredibly vibrant economy. 

Obvious areas of conflict, but interestingly there are-if anything-more similarities now than there were 20 years ago.  Turkey wants to expand it's clout in the Middle East, and sees (non-military) conflict with Israel as a crucial part of that strategy.  This is likely increasingly important as Turkey's attempts at strengthening ties with it's autocratic near abroad complicated it's image in the Arab street during the Arab Spring.  I think this is rather clever, to be honest

But I forgot; the Turks should just do whatever the fuck the crumbling EU says so that Tamas and Martinus can't accuse Erdogan of being a towel-head, even though these are the same people who would not let Turkey in to the EU if the Turkish president was a lesbian atheist.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Zoupa

I'd vote for accepting Armenia over Turkey.  :frog:

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 10, 2011, 04:04:38 PM
Israel 20 Years Ago: Secular, militaristic, hostile to neighbors, functional democracy with the greatest economy in the Middle East. 
Turkey 20 Years Ago: Secular, militaristic, largely isolationist, semi-functional pseudo-democracy with a relatively weak economy. 

No obvious conflicts, areas of mutual interest, lots of similarities.  The Turks and Israelis both disliked the Arab Middle-East, both had an interest in maintaining military superiority over local Arab neighbors, and had a reasonably similar political ideology.

Israel Today: Secular but coerced by fanatical Settlers and the Putinesque Lieberman, militaristic, hostile to neighbors,  semi-functional democracy with an incredibly vibrant economy.
Turkey Today: Secular but influenced by Islamist-leaning Erdogan and Davutoglu, militaristic, expanding influence and clout in the ME, more functionally democratic with an incredibly vibrant economy. 

Obvious areas of conflict, but interestingly there are-if anything-more similarities now than there were 20 years ago.  Turkey wants to expand it's clout in the Middle East, and sees (non-military) conflict with Israel as a crucial part of that strategy.  This is likely increasingly important as Turkey's attempts at strengthening ties with it's autocratic near abroad complicated it's image in the Arab street during the Arab Spring.  I think this is rather clever, to be honest

But I forgot; the Turks should just do whatever the fuck the crumbling EU says so that Tamas and Martinus can't accuse Erdogan of being a towel-head, even though these are the same people who would not let Turkey in to the EU if the Turkish president was a lesbian atheist.

You caught me on a double standard there - I am a known supporter of Israel on this board.

Seriously, though, I wouldn't let either of them in.

They should be happy they are in the Eurovision. That's as far as they will get as far as I am concerned.

Capetan Mihali

The picture of Apartheid Israel saddens me more than that of Islamicistic Turkey.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Siege

It's like if they made Siege their foreign minister.

Wrong. Avigdor Lieberman is a wako with no consistent policies.
He wants to give away israeli land, as the far left wants, in exchange for a paper that says "peace", and all his "right winginism" is about hatred of israeli arabs.
The guy ain't a right winger, he is just a racist, banking on pro-ashkenazi domination.

And he never served in Southern Lebanon, nor in the infantry, let alone in the Golani.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Giving away Israeli land is absolutely critical.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Siege on September 12, 2011, 07:28:02 PMWrong. Avigdor Lieberman is a wako with no consistent policies.
He wants to give away israeli land, as the far left wants, in exchange for a paper that says "peace", and all his "right winginism" is about hatred of israeli arabs.
The guy ain't a right winger, he is just a racist, banking on pro-ashkenazi domination.

And he never served in Southern Lebanon, nor in the infantry, let alone in the Golani.
Siege, I've read a lot about him being pretty hardcore irreligious (as I believe is common in the Russian-speaking community in Israel) and sometimes quite anti-religious but do you have any examples of it?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 12, 2011, 07:28:02 PM

It's like if they made Siege their foreign minister.

It's trading some land a pretty mainstream position?  I was under the impression that all the major political parties had accepted that some land will have to be lost.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Statements like this make me tremble with fear. Being too whacko for Seigy puts you pretty high on the crazy-meter.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2011, 01:08:19 AM

Statements like this make me tremble with fear. Being too whacko for Seigy puts you pretty high on the crazy-meter.
It was Seige's condemnation of him being racist against Arabs is what made my eyes pop.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point