Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 25, 2011, 01:59:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 01:24:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:53:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 09:51:44 AM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I’m woefully under qualified for, but since I’m fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Wait until they hear your pidgin Azorean Portuguese though. :weep:
Pidgin continental Portuguese, thank you very much! Actually, my spoken portuguese is fairly good (although there are NA worlds like Drivar, which would make some one in portugal very confused)

Though, i'll be communicating with brazillian, so it doesn't help lol

:yuk: That's Azorean pidgin, sorry.
hey, i have family from nazare and lisbon here, and they use it too :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2011, 01:30:02 PM
It doesn't matter how many or how few languages there are in the world.  What would make the world a better place (well, Languish anyway) would be if Timmay couldn't post in any of them.

The world would be a better place without Languish?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I love how I got away with insulting how HVC speaks portuguese, when I can't speak a word of it myself.  :showoff:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 02:18:01 PM
I love how I got away with insulting how HVC speaks portuguese, when I can't speak a word of it myself.  :showoff:

Better than your pidgin-Ruthenian Ukrainian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 02:22:21 PM

Insider's tip: if you wish to insult a Ukranian, call them a "little Russian". Works every time.  :D

Also, call Ukraine "The Ukraine".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 02:34:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 02:22:21 PM

Insider's tip: if you wish to insult a Ukranian, call them a "little Russian". Works every time.  :D

Also, call Ukraine "The Ukraine".

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

Of course I can't even speak pidgin Ukrainian.  I probably only know 20 words or so.  :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 02:15:36 PM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I'm woefully under qualified for, but since I'm fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Pidgin continental Portuguese, thank you very much! Actually, my spoken portuguese is fairly good (although there are NA worlds like Drivar, which would make some one in portugal very confused)

Even if Lisboete is pretty bad, that's way worse than Lisboete since they don't use it. Same goes for Nazarese although it's not obnoxious as Lisboete. :contract:

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 25, 2011, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 02:15:36 PM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I’m woefully under qualified for, but since I’m fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Even if Lisboete is pretty bad, that's way worse than Lisboete since they don't use it. Same goes for Nazarese although it's not obnoxious as Lisboete. :contract:
it's just the lingo here, meu (which i a purely euro portuguese term i hate).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 07:31:24 AM

The lack of an alphabet would seem to make it somewhat inflexible.  Harder to add new words into the language.

Harder?  It is almost impossible :contract:  Especially in the age of computers.  You can invent a new word.  Good luck to get the PRC computer system to accept it.  Because of the one child policy, a lot of parents are themselves single children, and both the father and the mother want to preserve their family name.  So they invent a new word as the surname for their child by combining their own respective family names.  Only to find that it is impossible to register the new word/name at government offices.  In the age of handwriting, the sympathetic officials can accept it.  But the local officials can't change the central computer database. 

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2011, 10:52:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
The Russians imposed one language throughout their empire.  The Soviets decided it was a good idea to make everyone the same, to solve their differences.  One country, one people.  How did that go for them?
The Soviets typically designed their apartments such that a toilet and a bath tub were in separate rooms, rather than in one room as is typical in US.  How did that work out for them?

That's a really good idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2011, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 07:31:24 AM

The lack of an alphabet would seem to make it somewhat inflexible.  Harder to add new words into the language.

Harder?  It is almost impossible :contract:  Especially in the age of computers.  You can invent a new word.  Good luck to get the PRC computer system to accept it.  Because of the one child policy, a lot of parents are themselves single children, and both the father and the mother want to preserve their family name.  So they invent a new word as the surname for their child by combining their own respective family names.  Only to find that it is impossible to register the new word/name at government offices.  In the age of handwriting, the sympathetic officials can accept it.  But the local officials can't change the central computer database.

Why don't you guys just develop a phonetic writing system?  Wouldn't that be easier?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister