Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 08:25:46 AM
And of course, no, we do not need only one language, nor is it desirable.  It's been proven that bilingual or trilingual people have more brain power than unilinguals:
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/brains-of-bilingual-people-wired-differently-study-says/3444
Actually, your link doesn't say that at all (it says that bilingual people read slightly better in both languages).  Nevertheless, you are correct that learning a second language allows a person to understand more about their first language, especially when those languages are related (Latin does as much in this respect as French or Spanish).  This effect isn't strong, though.

QuoteYou lose a lot by having only one language.  And you don't gain much.
I'd argue that you lose little and gain little.  Having a single common language would be a huge gain, but there is no reason to restrict everyone to that one language.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2011, 10:15:30 AM
Having a single common language would be a huge gain, but there is no reason to restrict everyone to that one language.

...except to avoid translation and localization costs.

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on August 25, 2011, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2011, 10:15:30 AM
Having a single common language would be a huge gain, but there is no reason to restrict everyone to that one language.

...except to avoid translation and localization costs.
Under those circumstances, you don't want to avoid those costs.  That would be like banning literacy to save on printing costs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2011, 10:36:48 AM
Under those circumstances, you don't want to avoid those costs.  That would be like banning literacy to save on printing costs.

I'm prepared to take up the literacy issue later.  My original offer was to, along with the rest of the world,* learn Icelandic in exchange for never having to deal with localization and translation issues.

* Except Icelanders, but there are only like 3 of them anyway.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
The Russians imposed one language throughout their empire.  The Soviets decided it was a good idea to make everyone the same, to solve their differences.  One country, one people.  How did that go for them?
The Soviets typically designed their apartments such that a toilet and a bath tub were in separate rooms, rather than in one room as is typical in US.  How did that work out for them?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2011, 10:52:15 AM
The Soviets typically designed their apartments such that a toilet and a bath tub were in separate rooms, rather than in one room as is typical in US.  How did that work out for them?

My Hod!  No wonder we won the Cold War.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2011, 04:19:42 AM
To give you an example how this silliness works - when making an application to the EU institutions (such as the European Commission or the European Court of Justice), you can write in your local language of the EU member state, but also have to translate it into English, French or German, and the commission or the court will respond in that language.

Most people in Europe speak English, and therefore it would make sense that the language of communication (whether as a translation or not) is just English - but because of political bickering, tons of snotty idiotic Germans and French write their applications in their silly language - and get a response in the same language. Which means the body of European case law is not uniform and you have to translate it sometimes into English, when a certain deicision is not available in English.
That all seems so messed up of a process just to try and avoid a major language that Europe has in common, and a major Euro nation speaks (UK)!   :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on August 25, 2011, 10:39:51 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2011, 10:36:48 AM

I'm prepared to take up the literacy issue later.  My original offer was to, along with the rest of the world,* learn Icelandic in exchange for never having to deal with localization and translation issues.

* Except Icelanders, but there are only like 3 of them anyway.
I don't understand why you responded to my post.  I said nothing about Icelandic, nor do I think the elimination of "localization and translation issues" is a good thing.  As research has shown, localization and translation issues are good things that make the multilingual speaker/reader/listener marginally better in all his or her languages.

Having a single universal language would be a good thing, so long as your suggestion is avoided and we don't restrict everyone to that single language.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The Soviets Europeans typically designed their apartments such that a toilet and a bath tub were in separate rooms, rather than in one room as is typical in US.  How did that work out for them?
FYPFY.

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 03:21:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2011, 02:57:46 AMWhile yes, a Common Language as a second language for everyone would suffice (English is basically right there, it's just that many people decide to disadvantage themselves by not learning it), I am not sure lotsa' languages is the way to fight blandification. Without a common language to establish links between these local-speaking groups, blandification can only increase.

This is obviously something you cannot see around you, but being a non-english native I can: there is a HUGE gap culturally between those who at least read English semi-decently, and those who don't.  Thanks to the Internet, no doubt.  And I mean mostly popular culture, and the ability to easily research basic stuff via google and wikipedia. So not some esoretic elitist knowledge, but stuff which makes your everyday life more enjoyable and varied, and your daily life easier.
That disadvantage is smaller when your first language is one that is more widely spoken than Hungarian though. While there is certainly more information available in English, there is still plenty in German. And I assume it's the same in French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese etc.

Up to a certain degree. Some things are so obscure that English is pretty much the only way to go. Which is why it pisses me off to no end when Google always redirects me to the .es page. If I wanted to be there I'd go myself.

Zanza

Quote from: KRonn on August 25, 2011, 11:41:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2011, 04:19:42 AM
To give you an example how this silliness works - when making an application to the EU institutions (such as the European Commission or the European Court of Justice), you can write in your local language of the EU member state, but also have to translate it into English, French or German, and the commission or the court will respond in that language.

Most people in Europe speak English, and therefore it would make sense that the language of communication (whether as a translation or not) is just English - but because of political bickering, tons of snotty idiotic Germans and French write their applications in their silly language - and get a response in the same language. Which means the body of European case law is not uniform and you have to translate it sometimes into English, when a certain deicision is not available in English.
That all seems so messed up of a process just to try and avoid a major language that Europe has in common, and a major Euro nation speaks (UK)!   :huh:
It's the convenience of using your own language, not avoidance of using English. The latter is just Marti's personal interpretation.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:53:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 09:51:44 AM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I’m woefully under qualified for, but since I’m fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Wait until they hear your pidgin Azorean Portuguese though. :weep:
Pidgin continental Portuguese, thank you very much! Actually, my spoken portuguese is fairly good (although there are NA worlds like Drivar, which would make some one in portugal very confused)

Though, i'll be communicating with brazillian, so it doesn't help lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

It doesn't matter how many or how few languages there are in the world.  What would make the world a better place (well, Languish anyway) would be if Timmay couldn't post in any of them.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2011, 11:59:43 AM
The Soviets Europeans typically designed their apartments such that a toilet and a bath tub were in separate rooms, rather than in one room as is typical in US.  How did that work out for them?
FYPFY.

yes, and it is way more civilized the European way.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 01:24:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 09:53:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 09:51:44 AM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I'm woefully under qualified for, but since I'm fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Wait until they hear your pidgin Azorean Portuguese though. :weep:
Pidgin continental Portuguese, thank you very much! Actually, my spoken portuguese is fairly good (although there are NA worlds like Drivar, which would make some one in portugal very confused)

Though, i'll be communicating with brazillian, so it doesn't help lol

:yuk: That's Azorean pidgin, sorry.