Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 07:45:16 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2011, 06:29:45 AM
It is difficult for, say, English native speakers to learn. 

But easy for, say, Hindi speakers to learn?

Hindi is distantly related to English.  Chinese is utterly alien to both.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

The main problem with learing (spoken) Chinese is that it is a tonal language - meaning that the meaning of words depends on the tone used to speak them.

Since English is not a tonal language, this is very difficult for English speakers to learn. The difference between "ma" (rising tone), "ma" (descending tone) and "ma" (desending then rising tone) are difficult for English speakers (and I assume other non-tonal language speakers) to grasp.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 08:55:01 AM
Mass communications mean that it is not locale that determines dialect, but socio-economic class, ethnicity, interests, etc. etc.

Try listening to some ghetto kids.

Yeah I worked with them for years.  I never had any problems speaking with them.

For one I knew the sort of music they listened to and their slang are part of our mass culture.  Heck their style of dress and speech are imitated around the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 08:28:23 AM
What you guys are missing is that while there is a natural tendancy for language to spread and become common, there is an equal and opposite tendancy for groups to develop their own versions of it, less and less comprehesible to outsiders.

The elites have always had some sort of commonly understood language - whether it be the Latin of the Church, or the French of diplomacy. The commoners have always made do with some sort of lingua franca, or some type of pidgin, made up of a mixture of the dominant language of the day with all sorts of other expressions from a variety of local languages. Meanwhile, the dominant language gets divided by slang, by local variants, etc.

You will never, bar force, get everyone speaking one common language, for the simple reason that language is always changing. Even if everyone in the world spoke perfect English tomorrow, the day after the language would start to develop local variants ...

My prediction: English will indeed become both the dominant (though not sole) language of the international elite, and in a form highly infected with neologisms as seen on the Internet, the lingua franca of the mass for purposes of international communication; meanwhile, languages will go on merrily developing as they always have, with local variants - see the Indian version of English. 

Moreover, there are benefits to being multi-lingual, and none to being unilingual. So this state of affairs is both natural and desireable.

I think distance and time were the major factor in language shifts.  Two villages speaking the same language separated by a three hundred miles would slowly develop their own dialects do to the isolation.  This isolation doesn't exist as much today.  You don't see people in the same city develop different languages over time.  They might use different jargon or will perhaps use deliberate obscuration (such a Cockney or Fenya), but those are the exception rather then the rule.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 09:01:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 08:55:01 AM
Mass communications mean that it is not locale that determines dialect, but socio-economic class, ethnicity, interests, etc. etc.

Try listening to some ghetto kids.

Yeah I worked with them for years.  I never had any problems speaking with them.

For one I knew the sort of music they listened to and their slang are part of our mass culture.  Heck their style of dress and speech are imitated around the world.

That's my point - language development, in an era of mass culture, will not be bounded by distance but will nevertheless occur - as different socio-economic, racial, ethnic, etc. groups develop language that while being "English" is not necessarily mutually understandable.

Certainly *you* could understand these ghetto kids - but *my dad*, who speaks "perfect English" (he's an extremely articulate university professor), could not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 09:12:43 AM
Certainly *you* could understand these ghetto kids - but *my dad*, who speaks "perfect English" (he's an extremely articulate university professor), could not.

That is because his old fashioned brand of English is dying out to be supplanted by the new universal ghetto english.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 09:14:23 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 09:12:43 AM

That is because his old fashioned brand of English is dying out to be supplanted by the new universal ghetto english.

:P

Not so. What you will get, is two different strands parting ways, combined with a freezing of social mobility - the elois and the morlocks, if you will.  :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:33:10 AM
Wouldn't that mean it is better everybody know their local language plus a universal lingua franca? :hmm:
Often during times, one language was a language of commerce, another a language used for everything else.
It doesn't have to be one lingua franca.  I find the world, language-wise, ok as it is.
I'm French, I can read you, I can see your tv, read your papers.  Some don't, it's their loss.
HVC has Portuguese origins he can read this forum.
I can't understand Portuguese, he can't understand French.  Yet, we found a way.  Neither of us is uniligual.
Neil speaks French & Latin, and probably some east european language as well.

Nobody needs to speak only language.

Yeah I fail to see how looking the same has anything to do with people being able to communicate with each other.  How is looking the same useful?
Do we really communicate better because we have one language?  I look at your country and it seems to me you all speak the same language.  Yet, I keep hearing about political troubles in Congress, what with near-defaulft on the debt and such.  I keep seeing troubles between Republicans and Democrats.  Yet, they all speak the same language.

The Russians imposed one language throughout their empire.  The Soviets decided it was a good idea to make everyone the same, to solve their differences.  One country, one people.  How did that go for them?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
The Russians imposed one language throughout their empire.  The Soviets decided it was a good idea to make everyone the same, to solve their differences.  One country, one people.  How did that go for them?

Not too good.  But nobody is wanting to create one people through legislation and force.  I think there will be one common way of communication just because we all are going to be communicating alot and therefore such a thing is needed.  Where there is a need humans fill that need.

I mean I am just saying what I think will be so in the future.  I do not mean to say it wil be a wholley positive good or that any steps need to be taken to get there.  Just that it will happen.  Heck people are moving to protect local languages...what are they protecting them from?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 09:18:10 AM
Not so. What you will get, is two different strands parting ways, combined with a freezing of social mobility - the elois and the morlocks, if you will.  :hmm:

You are way too hairy to be an eloi. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2011, 09:36:53 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 09:18:10 AM

You are way too hairy to be an eloi. :contract:

Hell, who would want to be? Hunted by morlocks isn't any sort of life.  :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 09:30:06 AM
If they were still around the technological advances in media in the last 20 years would be accelerating their linguistic/cultural imperialism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I'm woefully under qualified for, but since I'm fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 09:51:44 AM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I’m woefully under qualified for, but since I’m fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Bilingualism is great.  Having any sort of skill is great.  It is just a hard skill to get it takes, like, work and stuff.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2011, 09:51:44 AM
Bilingualism is good sometimes. for example i have a job interview on Monday that I'm woefully under qualified for, but since I'm fluent in Portuguese they're giving me a shot hah

Wait until they hear your pidgin Azorean Portuguese though. :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.