Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 07:31:24 AM
The lack of an alphabet would seem to make it somewhat inflexible.  Harder to add new words into the language.

If the rest of the world got ahold of it we would shape it to our needs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2011, 06:29:45 AM
It is difficult for, say, English native speakers to learn. 

But easy for, say, Hindi speakers to learn?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Anyway there will eventually be a lingua franca for the entire world.  Heck we practically have one already.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 04:20:37 AM
I'd rather not have to learn Chinese.  From what I understand it's a fucking nightmare to learn.

If it were used all the time I would consider it.

But it is not like you are bombarded by Chinese all the time.  I am not tempted to learn it so I can enjoy the latest popular movie in the original or just must read the latest amazing book in the original or be among the elite in world culture.  Chinese is spoken by alot of people but is not really a big cultural presence, at least not visibly from where I sit.

Slaves don't produce a lot of culture.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2011, 02:42:00 AM
Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 02:26:37 AM
No. Humans are perfectly capable to learn multiple languages. You can gain all the advantages you name by just teaching everybody English as a second language.

If *everybody* knows English other languages will die out naturally, as the Gaelic languages are doing.
not really.  At one point or another, lots of people were learning a second language.  Most haven't died.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

And of course, no, we do not need only one language, nor is it desirable.  It's been proven that bilingual or trilingual people have more brain power than unilinguals:
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/brains-of-bilingual-people-wired-differently-study-says/3444

You lose a lot by having only one language.  And you don't gain much.  We could also all be white with blond hairs and blue eyes.  Some say it's better that way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

What you guys are missing is that while there is a natural tendancy for language to spread and become common, there is an equal and opposite tendancy for groups to develop their own versions of it, less and less comprehesible to outsiders.

The elites have always had some sort of commonly understood language - whether it be the Latin of the Church, or the French of diplomacy. The commoners have always made do with some sort of lingua franca, or some type of pidgin, made up of a mixture of the dominant language of the day with all sorts of other expressions from a variety of local languages. Meanwhile, the dominant language gets divided by slang, by local variants, etc.

You will never, bar force, get everyone speaking one common language, for the simple reason that language is always changing. Even if everyone in the world spoke perfect English tomorrow, the day after the language would start to develop local variants ...

My prediction: English will indeed become both the dominant (though not sole) language of the international elite, and in a form highly infected with neologisms as seen on the Internet, the lingua franca of the mass for purposes of international communication; meanwhile, languages will go on merrily developing as they always have, with local variants - see the Indian version of English. 

Moreover, there are benefits to being multi-lingual, and none to being unilingual. So this state of affairs is both natural and desireable.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 08:25:46 AM
And of course, no, we do not need only one language, nor is it desirable.  It's been proven that bilingual or trilingual people have more brain power than unilinguals:

Wouldn't that mean it is better everybody know their local language plus a universal lingua franca? :hmm:

QuoteYou lose a lot by having only one language.  And you don't gain much.  We could also all be white with blond hairs and blue eyes.  Some say it's better that way.

Yeah I fail to see how looking the same has anything to do with people being able to communicate with each other.  How is looking the same useful?

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 08:28:23 AM
You will never, bar force, get everyone speaking one common language, for the simple reason that language is always changing. Even if everyone in the world spoke perfect English tomorrow, the day after the language would start to develop local variants ...

Sure if everybody was isolated from each other and there was no world culture to go with it.  I have not noticed each town in the US developing its own language.  I mean they might to some extent but not enough to prevent people from freely moving and communicating with each other.

jimmy olsen

What you guys are missing is that while there is a natural tendancy for language to spread and become common, there is an equal and opposite tendancy for groups to develop their own versions of it, less and less comprehesible to outsiders.

The elites have always had some sort of commonly understood language - whether it be the Latin of the Church, or the French of diplomacy. The commoners have always made do with some sort of lingua franca, or some type of pidgin, made up of a mixture of the dominant language of the day with all sorts of other expressions from a variety of local languages. Meanwhile, the dominant language gets divided by slang, by local variants, etc.

My prediction: English will indeed become both the dominant (though not sole) language of the international elite, and in a form highly infected with neologisms as seen on the Internet, the lingua franca of the mass for purposes of international communication; meanwhile, languages will go on merrily developing as they always have, with local variants - see the Indian version of English. 

Moreover, there are benefits to being multi-lingual, and none to being unilingual. So this state of affairs is both natural and desireable.
Television, Radio, Film and mass transit greatly retard the spread of dialects on a subnational level. There's a reason that 50-90% of the world's languages are expected to go extinct in the next hundred years and that reason is the vastly increased urbanization and inter-connectivity of global society.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Everybody knowing English with optional local tongue seems fine to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2011, 08:25:46 AM
Post hoc ergo prompter hoc.  How's that for trilingual?
QuoteYou lose a lot by having only one language.  And you don't gain much.  We could also all be white with blond hairs and blue eyes.  Some say it's better that way.
You don't really lose anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 08:36:34 AM

Sure if everybody was isolated from each other and there was no world culture to go with it.  I have not noticed each town in the US developing its own language.  I mean they might to some extent but not enough to prevent people from freely moving and communicating with each other.

Mass communications mean that it is not locale that determines dialect, but socio-economic class, ethnicity, interests, etc. etc.

Try listening to some ghetto kids.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 25, 2011, 07:51:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 04:20:37 AM
I'd rather not have to learn Chinese.  From what I understand it's a fucking nightmare to learn.

If it were used all the time I would consider it.

But it is not like you are bombarded by Chinese all the time.  I am not tempted to learn it so I can enjoy the latest popular movie in the original or just must read the latest amazing book in the original or be among the elite in world culture.  Chinese is spoken by alot of people but is not really a big cultural presence, at least not visibly from where I sit.

Slaves don't produce a lot of culture.

In the US they did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2011, 08:37:27 AM
Television, Radio, Film and mass transit greatly retard the spread of dialects on a subnational level. There's a reason that 50-90% of the world's languages are expected to go extinct in the next hundred years and that reason is the vastly increased urbanization and inter-connectivity of global society.

Media and interconnectivity means that you can speak perfectly well with that teacher over in Hong Kong, but find it difficult to understand the kids hanging out at the mall next door.