Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

jimmy olsen

This topic came up in the Canada thread, and I think it deserves it's own thread.

Whether it's English, Chinese, another language entirely, or some unholy creole of a couple of the more widespread languages, would it better to have one language spoken throughout the world?

I say yes. The ability of all people to communicate with each other would promote economic growth, faster scientific advancement and more effective diplomacy.

This in my opinion outweighs the disadvantages, which would include the loss of certain cultural nuances and modes of thought which would be difficult (perhaps even impossible in a few cases) to express in the new language. Obviously some people will argue that the loss will far exceed what I just expressed, and vote no based on that reasoning.

So, what say you Languish?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Yes and it should be English.  But it is not going to happen any time soon.

Zanza

No. Humans are perfectly capable to learn multiple languages. You can gain all the advantages you name by just teaching everybody English as a second language.

Richard Hakluyt

Concur with Zanza; a lingua franca is the way forward. It is difficult to quantify or define, but language does seem to affect culture. The world is getting quite bland enough and some small boost to economic growth is not worth further blandification.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 02:26:37 AM
No. Humans are perfectly capable to learn multiple languages. You can gain all the advantages you name by just teaching everybody English as a second language.

If *everybody* knows English other languages will die out naturally, as the Gaelic languages are doing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 25, 2011, 02:40:37 AM
Concur with Zanza; a lingua franca is the way forward. It is difficult to quantify or define, but language does seem to affect culture. The world is getting quite bland enough and some small boost to economic growth is not worth further blandification.

While yes, a Common Language as a second language for everyone would suffice (English is basically right there, it's just that many people decide to disadvantage themselves by not learning it), I am not sure lotsa' languages is the way to fight blandification. Without a common language to establish links between these local-speaking groups, blandification can only increase.

This is obviously something you cannot see around you, but being a non-english native I can: there is a HUGE gap culturally between those who at least read English semi-decently, and those who don't.  Thanks to the Internet, no doubt.  And I mean mostly popular culture, and the ability to easily research basic stuff via google and wikipedia. So not some esoretic elitist knowledge, but stuff which makes your everyday life more enjoyable and varied, and your daily life easier.

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 02:26:37 AM

Yeah.  I guess I'll vote yes because I'm pretty sure Tim didn't mean "forced eradication of all languages but English," although on the other hand I could probably get a good job in the camp system.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Linguæ Francæ über alles!

Zanza

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2011, 02:42:00 AMIf *everybody* knows English other languages will die out naturally, as the Gaelic languages are doing.
Not really. My English is pretty much fluent and I have a couple of friends that speak it fluently as well, yet we never have a conversation in English.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2011, 02:57:46 AMWhile yes, a Common Language as a second language for everyone would suffice (English is basically right there, it's just that many people decide to disadvantage themselves by not learning it), I am not sure lotsa' languages is the way to fight blandification. Without a common language to establish links between these local-speaking groups, blandification can only increase.

This is obviously something you cannot see around you, but being a non-english native I can: there is a HUGE gap culturally between those who at least read English semi-decently, and those who don't.  Thanks to the Internet, no doubt.  And I mean mostly popular culture, and the ability to easily research basic stuff via google and wikipedia. So not some esoretic elitist knowledge, but stuff which makes your everyday life more enjoyable and varied, and your daily life easier.
That disadvantage is smaller when your first language is one that is more widely spoken than Hungarian though. While there is certainly more information available in English, there is still plenty in German. And I assume it's the same in French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese etc.

Martinus

I agree with Zanza and others. I also think the current inefficiency problems do not come from "defense of first language" per se, but from certain groups insisting their language becomes the official second language in certain regions or counries, in lieu of English.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 03:21:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2011, 02:57:46 AMWhile yes, a Common Language as a second language for everyone would suffice (English is basically right there, it's just that many people decide to disadvantage themselves by not learning it), I am not sure lotsa' languages is the way to fight blandification. Without a common language to establish links between these local-speaking groups, blandification can only increase.

That disadvantage is smaller when your first language is one that is more widely spoken than Hungarian though. While there is certainly more information available in English, there is still plenty in German. And I assume it's the same in French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese etc.

True. But the cultural aspect still must be there. Lack of an ability to communicate can only alienate people from each other.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2011, 03:26:44 AM
I agree with Zanza and others. I also think the current inefficiency problems do not come from "defense of first language" per se, but from certain groups insisting their language becomes the official second language in certain regions or counries, in lieu of English.

So, the problem is that there is no globally accepted official common language. True.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2011, 03:35:58 AM
So, the problem is that there is no globally accepted official common language. True.
Official? There is no authority that could define a common language.

English is de facto the globally accepted common language. Not necessarily the English that British or Americans speak, but some pidgin variant that is understood everywhere.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 03:43:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2011, 03:35:58 AM
Official? There is no authority that could define a common language.

English is de facto the globally accepted common language. Not necessarily the English that British or Americans speak, but some pidgin variant that is understood everywhere.

Yes, I am merely trying to answer Tim's original question :P