Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 03:43:50 AM
English is de facto the globally accepted common language. Not necessarily the English that British or Americans speak, but some pidgin variant that is understood everywhere.

A million years ago I read somewhere that the true international language is broken English.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 03:43:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2011, 03:35:58 AM
So, the problem is that there is no globally accepted official common language. True.
Official? There is no authority that could define a common language.

English is de facto the globally accepted common language. Not necessarily the English that British or Americans speak, but some pidgin variant that is understood everywhere.

It's not about authority really - it's about stuff like Germans or the French insisting that shit is translated into their language rather than into English (vide the horrible inefficiency of conducting the official EU business in French and German where English could just suffice).

The problem is not about people wanting their local language not to die out, but some language groups (I think in Europe the French are the most annoyingly silly about it) insisting their language rather than English becomes the international language.

Martinus

To give you an example how this silliness works - when making an application to the EU institutions (such as the European Commission or the European Court of Justice), you can write in your local language of the EU member state, but also have to translate it into English, French or German, and the commission or the court will respond in that language.

Most people in Europe speak English, and therefore it would make sense that the language of communication (whether as a translation or not) is just English - but because of political bickering, tons of snotty idiotic Germans and French write their applications in their silly language - and get a response in the same language. Which means the body of European case law is not uniform and you have to translate it sometimes into English, when a certain deicision is not available in English.

Razgovory

I'd rather not have to learn Chinese.  From what I understand it's a fucking nightmare to learn.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 02:26:37 AM
No. Humans are perfectly capable to learn multiple languages. You can gain all the advantages you name by just teaching everybody English as a second language.

This. Everyone keeps their cultural distinctiveness and identity, and also get to communicate with everyone else.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on August 25, 2011, 04:39:28 AM
No. Humans are perfectly capable to learn multiple languages. You can gain all the advantages you name by just teaching everybody English as a second language.

This. Everyone keeps their cultural distinctiveness and identity, and also get to communicate with everyone else.

I grew up speaking two languages. Icelandic at home and English outside. I was so completely unphased by this that when I went back to Iceland at age 3 I actually was a bit distressed when I found out that all the other kids didn't speak English outside. I also sort of presumed all the kids in England spoke Icelandic at home just like I did.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 04:20:37 AM
I'd rather not have to learn Chinese.  From what I understand it's a fucking nightmare to learn.

Chinese do not expect non-Chinese to speak Chinese. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2011, 05:46:57 AM

Chinese do not expect non-Chinese to speak Chinese.

So do the Chinese agree that their language is inflexible and difficult to learn?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 06:24:26 AM

So do the Chinese agree that their language is inflexible and difficult to learn?

It is difficult for, say, English native speakers to learn. 

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2011, 04:19:42 AM
To give you an example how this silliness works - when making an application to the EU institutions (such as the European Commission or the European Court of Justice), you can write in your local language of the EU member state, but also have to translate it into English, French or German, and the commission or the court will respond in that language.

Most people in Europe speak English, and therefore it would make sense that the language of communication (whether as a translation or not) is just English - but because of political bickering, tons of snotty idiotic Germans and French write their applications in their silly language - and get a response in the same language. Which means the body of European case law is not uniform and you have to translate it sometimes into English, when a certain deicision is not available in English.
So your argument is that a uniform language would make your job a bit less of a hassle?

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on August 25, 2011, 04:39:28 AM

Cultural distinctiveness and identity is stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2011, 06:34:23 AM
So your argument is that a uniform language would make your job a bit less of a hassle?

Also traveling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 07:07:22 AMCultural distinctiveness and identity is stupid.

:yes:

yes to uniform language, and yes to one world government. it may not happen in even five hundred years, but then i doubt the question posed by timmay demands that it be constrained by feasible reality. the existence of other languages means that there will be those who speak the non-globalized one at home, to their children, etc, which threatens the goal of one language. the objective should not be a world where everyone knows how to at least sort of communicate with each other, but a world where everyone can communicate perfectly with one another

edit: wrong emoticon, stupid 56k

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2011, 06:29:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2011, 06:24:26 AM

It is difficult for, say, English native speakers to learn.

The lack of an alphabet would seem to make it somewhat inflexible.  Harder to add new words into the language.

Valmy

If it were used all the time I would consider it.

But it is not like you are bombarded by Chinese all the time.  I am not tempted to learn it so I can enjoy the latest popular movie in the original or just must read the latest amazing book in the original or be among the elite in world culture.  Chinese is spoken by alot of people but is not really a big cultural presence, at least not visibly from where I sit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."