Obama dares Republicans to block his coming jobs package

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 12:27:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 11:38:35 AM
Eh even if he did offer specifics who cares?  It is not like when he does it really means anything.

I think it would mean a lot.  Particularly since he's already talking about how he'd use it against the GOP if they were against it. 

I really hope it includes a huge extension on unemployment benefits, since the administration seems to think that's a good way to get people back to work.

So, what do you think should happen to people on unemployment benefits?

I actually think the GOP will pursue austerity while in power. We aren't seeing Republican legislatures and governors pursuing stimulus programs now, right? They are probably an indication of how serious the GOP is about austerity at the expense of job creation.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on August 18, 2011, 08:15:20 AM

Depends on how long they've been on them.  I'm not opposed to the general idea of unemployment insurance, but I think extending them to 99 weeks was a bit excessive.

QuoteI actually think the GOP will pursue austerity while in power.

Raz would like a word with you.

QuoteWe aren't seeing Republican legislatures and governors pursuing stimulus programs now, right? They are probably an indication of how serious the GOP is about austerity at the expense of job creation.

I disagree with your underlying notion there, which seems to be that austerity <-----> job growth is a zero sum game, but if decreased spending comes at the cost of some unsustainable potential "make-work" jobs, then so be it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Alot of the States have to do austerity anyway regardless of what ideology they follow.  They cannot just print more money so if they do not have the money they have to either make cuts or start borrowing and most of them are not comfortable enough with their future prospects to take such a risk...oh and alot of them have balanced budget provisions in their constitutions.

So I do not think that necessarily means that will be what happens on a federal level once the Republicans get their next shot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2011, 07:52:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
If we include protests about TARP then I suppose that means Michael Moore is a Tea Party member.
Michael Moore
What happened to Boss Hogg
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2011, 09:35:12 AM
I disagree with your underlying notion there, which seems to be that austerity <-----> job growth is a zero sum game, but if decreased spending comes at the cost of some unsustainable potential "make-work" jobs, then so be it.

Well, we have seen some prominent nations pursuing austerity the past few years. How's that working out?

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on August 18, 2011, 10:13:34 AM

Well, we have seen some prominent nations pursuing austerity the past few years. How's that working out?

Fiscal austerity very much tends to be a "short term pain for long term gain" kind of thing.

Better question is to ask how countries pursuing austerity are doing in ten years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 08:32:01 PM
really, what was the plan for post-war Iraq, I mean, to stabilize the country once Saddam was toppled?  What has been done within the 1st year post-Saddam?
The plan was, as Cheney announced, to have the Iraqis greet US troops with flowers, so no other plans were needed, what with Cheney being infallible and all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM
Better question is to ask how countries pursuing austerity are doing in ten years.
Ten years after Clinton, not so well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2011, 11:08:57 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM
Ten years after Clinton, not so well.

I dunno - it seems to me Clinton got serious about the deficit after 1994, when Newt took the House.

1994-2004 were some pretty good years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 11:12:57 AM
1994-2004 were some pretty good years.
2004 had the highest unemployment between 1996 and 2009.  Government debt was rising, the trade balance was the second-worst in modern history (followed the next year by the worst), tax revenues (%GDP) were worse than before 1980, and the worst until the '09 crash.

Not so good ten years out.

This isn't to say it wouldn't have been worse without the discipline of the Clinton years, of course.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

If we include protests about TARP then I suppose that means Michael Moore is a Tea Party member.
He might have been, if it wasn't for all those conservatives showing up at the movement.  Your attempt to argue based on Michael Moore has failed.

And you know, Leftists protesting corporate greed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: Faeelin on August 18, 2011, 08:15:20 AM

Depends on how long they've been on them.  I'm not opposed to the general idea of unemployment insurance, but I think extending them to 99 weeks was a bit excessive.

Well, the unemployment rate now is 9.2% right? So what's your plan for people who can't get a job?

QuoteI disagree with your underlying notion there, which seems to be that austerity <-----> job growth is a zero sum game, but if decreased spending comes at the cost of some unsustainable potential "make-work" jobs, then so be it.

I agree that in the long term austerity can improve the economy, but I don't see how it can boost the economy in the short term.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on August 18, 2011, 09:38:46 AM
Michael Moore
What happened to Boss Hogg

Barbour is still Scippy's gov, as far as I know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 18, 2011, 10:13:34 AM

For some it has achieved the intended purpose--maintaining the ability to borrow at reasonable terms.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on August 18, 2011, 02:47:50 PM
Well, the unemployment rate now is 9.2% right? So what's your plan for people who can't get a job?

Well, some of those folks are going to have make-do with taking a job that may pay less than their previous job.  I know it sucks to have to do that, but we cannot afford to extend unemployment benefits indefinitely.  Otherwise we'll end up with a nation of Cousin Eddies who are unemployed for 7 years because they're "holding out for a management position" :P

As far as a plan to fight fight unemployment, all I can think of is to maybe try to remove some barriers (certain labor laws, etc.) that may discourage employers.  And maybe cut down on the talk about raising taxes on "the rich"-- many small business owners are "the rich" and they're less likely to hire if they think their taxes might increase in the near future.

I agree that in the long term austerity can improve the economy, but I don't see how it can boost the economy in the short term.

Businesses think long-term.  If they see congress taking the debt/deficit problems seriously (maybe even if that includes some slight tax increases), I think they'll have more confidence in the future of the economy & resume hiring.

But beyond that, we simply can't afford any more Keynesian attempts to jump-start the economy through wasteful spending.  And FWIW, I don't think many (if any) of the recently-proposed "cuts" qualify as austerity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall