Obama dares Republicans to block his coming jobs package

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Obama showing a backbone? Shocking!

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-obama-bus-tour-20110817,0,5073945.story

QuoteObama dares Republicans to block his coming jobs package

The president, visiting the Midwest, pledges to send Congress a plan in September and challenges Republicans to block it. Not all Democrats are comfortable with his hard-line stance.
Obama in Iowa

By James Oliphant, Washington Bureau

August 16, 2011, 6:58 p.m.
Reporting from Davenport, Iowa—
After pledging to send a job-creation package to Congress next month and daring Republicans to block it, President Obama offered few specifics Tuesday about the form the plan might take as he stuck to a broad outline of how to improve the economy.

On the second day of Obama's three-day bus tour of the upper Midwest, the president worked off the blueprint he had used the day before, offering proposals such as extending a payroll tax cut, spending money to repair roads and bridges, and ratifying pending trade agreements.

And he continued to hammer away at Republicans in Congress, suggesting they stand in the way of economic growth, even as some Democrats expressed discomfort with what they saw as a potentially divisive stance.

"We could do even more if Congress is willing to get in the game," Obama said to a gathering of small-business owners, community leaders and rural development experts at a small college in Peosta, Iowa.

"There are bipartisan ideas — common-sense ideas — that have traditionally been supported by Democrats and Republicans that will put more money in your pockets, that will put our people to work, that will allow us to deal with the legacy of debt that hangs over our economy," he said.

Republicans pushed back by escalating their criticism of Obama's trip, calling it nothing more than a glorified campaign swing at taxpayer expense.

"This week taxpayers made a donation to the Obama reelection campaign. No matter what the president says, his Midwest bus tour is nothing but a campaign trip," said Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee. "He's talking about campaigning against Congress and doling out talking points, not policy plans."

Congressional Democrats and former administration officials gave a mixed review of Obama's declaration. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) welcomed the president's feistier tone.

"I heard more of that approach yesterday than I've heard in a while, and I think it's very important," she said in an interview. "He needs to say now, 'I've tried it your way, and now we have to create an aggressive approach to creating jobs.' "

But one Senate Democrat, who requested anonymity to speak candidly about the White House, was troubled by the president's gambit.

Voters are tired of the partisan back-and-forth and it would be a mistake for Obama to present Congress with a large-scale, high-stakes jobs bill and challenge them to pass it, the senator said. A more sensible approach would be for Obama to roll out a series of smaller proposals, the senator said, adding that the public "has very little patience for anything that looks like you're beating up on the other side."

Jared Bernstein, a former economic advisor to Vice President Joe Biden, said it was futile for Obama to try to accommodate Republicans determined to block the White House agenda. "If the president frames his jobs agenda based on what Republicans will accept, I don't think he's going to end up with much," he said. "He has to prescribe what he and his team believes the country needs and fight for it."

White House spokesman Jay Carney wouldn't comment on the shape or the scope of the plan or say whether it would take the form of legislation.

But Carney reiterated the president's threat that if Congress failed to act, Obama would not hesitate to leverage that failure politically.

"If they don't do it," Carney said, "he will take his arguments to the American people."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Republicans were waiting to act on pending trade deals with Colombia, Panama and South Korea, but he complained that the White House hadn't sent them to Capitol Hill.

Carney said the administration was working with Senate leaders on an agreement for submitting the treaties for ratification.

Obama didn't spend his entire day in Iowa talking economic policy. He stopped at a high school in Maquoketa and visited a volleyball practice, bought ice cream cones for his aides in DeWitt and shopped at an antique store in LeClaire.

The president will wrap up his tour Wednesday with two town hall events in Illinois before he returns to Washington.

[email protected]

Lisa Mascaro and Peter Nicholas in the Washington bureau contributed to this report.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

I thought Obama not infrequently would make those sort of noises only to compromise later as he doesn't have enough command of his party to really stand on the former stance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

QuotePresident Obama offered few specifics Tuesday about the form the plan might take as he stuck to a broad outline of how to improve the economy.

Shocking.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

You shouldn't play chicken when the other side has no qualms about running yo uover.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 11:34:22 AM
QuotePresident Obama offered few specifics Tuesday about the form the plan might take as he stuck to a broad outline of how to improve the economy.

Shocking.

Eh even if he did offer specifics who cares?  It is not like when he does it really means anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2011, 11:38:48 AM
Let's see his backbone after Republicans block it.
If they block it he can run against them on that issue. If they pass it and the economy improves he can run on it. That sounds like a win win situation to me.

The only danger is if he passes it and the economy doesn't improve.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2011, 11:53:32 AM
Let's see how much it would add to the deficit.

Let's see what happens when President Romney/Perry/Bachman/some other goddamn loon passes a similar bill in the first year or their presidency.  You think anyone in the GOP is going to call out them out on any possible deficit problems? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2011, 11:49:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2011, 11:38:48 AM
Let's see his backbone after Republicans block it.
If they block it he can run against them on that issue.
Yes, he can, but he won't.  Instead he will agree to lower the capital gains tax to -10% in exchange for Republicans allowing him to pass 1/3rd of the jobs bill.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 11:56:49 AM
Let's see what happens when President Romney/Perry/Bachman/some other goddamn loon passes a similar bill in the first year or their presidency.  You think anyone in the GOP is going to call out them out on any possible deficit problems?

I would expect some people to, but I don't know for sure.

What's your point?  That since we know Republicans will be mad deficit spenders when in power we should extend the same courtesy to Obama?

You know Raz, a little while ago you were arguing that the best way to achieve deficit reduction would be to vote all Republicans out of office.  So which is it, that Democrats are OSSUM deficit fighters or that deficits don't matter?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 11:56:49 AM

Yes.  The next GOP administration (whenever it happens) will not be a repeat of the Bush years.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 11:38:35 AM
Eh even if he did offer specifics who cares?  It is not like when he does it really means anything.

I think it would mean a lot.  Particularly since he's already talking about how he'd use it against the GOP if they were against it. 

I really hope it includes a huge extension on unemployment benefits, since the administration seems to think that's a good way to get people back to work.