Obama dares Republicans to block his coming jobs package

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2011, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 11:56:49 AM
Let's see what happens when President Romney/Perry/Bachman/some other goddamn loon passes a similar bill in the first year or their presidency.  You think anyone in the GOP is going to call out them out on any possible deficit problems?

I would expect some people to, but I don't know for sure.

What's your point?  That since we know Republicans will be mad deficit spenders when in power we should extend the same courtesy to Obama?

You know Raz, a little while ago you were arguing that the best way to achieve deficit reduction would be to vote all Republicans out of office.  So which is it, that Democrats are OSSUM deficit fighters or that deficits don't matter?

I'm not sure how the fuck you came to that conclusion.  We can't realistically achieve deficit reduction without raising taxes.  Nearly every Republican has signed an oath not to raise taxes.  This makes Republicans impediments to deficit reduction.  And yes, before you start, Democrats have agreed to cuts.  They have no ideological straight jacket that says "No, we can't cut government spending".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 08:49:44 PM
I'm not sure how the fuck you came to that conclusion.  We can't realistically achieve deficit reduction without raising taxes.  Nearly every Republican has signed an oath not to raise taxes.  This makes Republicans impediments to deficit reduction.  And yes, before you start, Democrats have agreed to cuts.  They have no ideological straight jacket that says "No, we can't cut government spending".

And now they're asking for more spendng.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2011, 09:49:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 08:49:44 PM

And now they're asking for more spendng.

Gotta spend some to make some.  Actually, you have no idea what the bill will entail.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2011, 12:50:55 PM
They showed up before Obama got elected.

They showed up in February of 2008.  A few days after Obama got elected.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 09:52:28 PM
Gotta spend some to make some.  Actually, you have no idea what the bill will entail.

When you've seen 60 or so jobs bills come and go that involve spending and none that are built solely on good intentions and positive attitude, you can make a reasonable prediction about the 61st.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2011, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 09:52:28 PM

When you've seen 60 or so jobs bills come and go that involve spending and none that are built solely on good intentions and positive attitude, you can make a reasonable prediction about the 61st.

You don't know if it will actually increase spending.  It could just shift money around.  I suppose it could also include tax cuts, but that'd be okay.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 09:58:03 PM
You don't know if it will actually increase spending.  It could just shift money around.  I suppose it could also include tax cuts, but that'd be okay.

Sure thing Raz.  Whatever you say.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 12:53:34 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2011, 12:50:55 PM
They showed up before Obama got elected.

:yeahright: If they did it was just before.
Yeah, it was just before, because that's when the meltdown happened.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

MadImmortalMan

He was elected in November 2008 though.

Anyway, Obama's not to blame for them. It was a reaction to TARP, and that was Bush's thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2011, 11:05:47 PM
He was elected in November 2008 though.

Anyway, Obama's not to blame for them. It was a reaction to TARP, and that was Bush's thing.

If we include protests about TARP then I suppose that means Michael Moore is a Tea Party member.  The TARP protests had ended by the time Obama was in office the Tea Party began shortly after.  The term Tea Party comes from something some commetator said about an Obama proposal, not TARP.

QuoteBy most accounts, the Paul Revere figure of this Second American Revolution is an excitable cable-news reporter named Rick Santelli, a former futures trader and Drexel Burnham Lambert vice-president who stood on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange last February and sounded the alarm on CNBC about the new Administration's planned assistance for homeowners facing foreclosure. He proposed a nationwide referendum, via the Internet, on the matter of subsidizing "the losers' mortgages," winning both the attention and the vocal support of the working traders in his midst. "President Obama, are you listening?" he shouted, and then said that he'd been thinking of organizing a Chicago Tea Party in July, urging "all you capitalists" to come join him on Lake Michigan, where "we're going to be dumping in some derivative securities." It was a delicate pose—financial professionals more or less laughing at debtors while disavowing the lending techniques that had occasioned the crisis—but within a matter of hours a Web site, OfficialChicagoTeaParty.com, had gone live, and by the end of the following week dozens of small protests were occurring simultaneously around the country, invoking the legacy of early New England colonists in their revolt against King George.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/02/01/100201fa_fact_mcgrath#ixzz1VLp3QSTJ

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/02/01/100201fa_fact_mcgrath?currentPage=all

MadImmortalMan

Santelli was late to the party, but threw gas on the fire.

Not Obama's fault.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 18, 2011, 01:32:38 AM
Santelli was late to the party, but threw gas on the fire.

Not Obama's fault.

You are basing this on what exactly?

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
If we include protests about TARP then I suppose that means Michael Moore is a Tea Party member.
He might have been, if it wasn't for all those conservatives showing up at the movement.  Your attempt to argue based on Michael Moore has failed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.