Obama dares Republicans to block his coming jobs package

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Maybe Spicy can hire me for less than my previous job. I won't stick around at that pay rate, but if he pays my relocation expenses, I'll take it. :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2011, 12:34:49 PM
I thought Spicy's laugher about "some of those folks are going to have make-do with taking a job that may pay less than their previous job" was a lot funnier

What you mean a 50 year old unemployed lathe operator in Michigan can't just instantly take a job as a website designer in Seattle, or an elder-care nurse in Phoenix? 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ancient Demon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2011, 02:53:23 PMWhat you mean a 50 year old unemployed lathe operator in Michigan can't just instantly take a job as a website designer in Seattle, or an elder-care nurse in Phoenix?

He can take an unskilled job though, which I think is better than being permanently unemployed.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

grumbler

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 20, 2011, 03:05:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2011, 02:53:23 PMWhat you mean a 50 year old unemployed lathe operator in Michigan can't just instantly take a job as a website designer in Seattle, or an elder-care nurse in Phoenix?

He can take an unskilled job though, which I think is better than being permanently unemployed.
Indeed, he has to... if the unskilled job is available.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

That's the point.

A lot of places will pass over overqualified applicants, too.

<---CASE IN POINT.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2011, 06:43:26 PM
That's the point.

A lot of places will pass over overqualified applicants, too.

<---CASE IN POINT.

:yes:
Why hire someone with a college degree who: a. will leave as soon as he gets a better job offer; and b. will want more pay/benefits over time, when you can hire a high school dropout/teenage to do the same work for longer and less.

Hey Ide, btw, you should teach abroad in Korea or China. All the cool kids are doing it.  :cool:

Maximus

HisMajestyBOB

Ideologue

Quote from: Maximus on August 20, 2011, 06:50:15 PM
I think he already taught abroad in Korea

[Rimshot.]

I think the JET programs and stuff like it would bounce me because of my criminal record.

They might also bounce me if my purpose statement was honest.  To cross-thread a little, "I'm broke and I like Asian women, so this is the solution that a trip to Thailand would not be."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2011, 06:53:59 PM

[Rimshot.]

I think the JET programs and stuff like it would bounce me because of my criminal record.

They might also bounce me if my purpose statement was honest.  To cross-thread a little, "I'm broke and I like Asian women, so this is the solution that a trip to Thailand would not be."

China, Vietnam, Thailand, and some Korean language schools aren't that picky.
And that statement would describe pretty much everyone that teaches abroad :lol:

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2011, 07:01:05 PM
How about the Peace Corps?

Well, A:

Quote from: Peace CorpsPlan ahead and apply nine months to a year in advance of your target departure date.

By which point I'm living under a bridge with a surplus army jacket full of cats.

And B, I didn't put up with three years of law school so I could get beheaded by some savage who doesn't like the way I talk about the Koran and/or the Bible and/or his shitty country, and not even get paid for it.

I'm strongly considering enlisting in the USAF, however, as that may be marginally preferable to moving back in with my parents or with my sister.

But who knows?  Maybe that hearings officer job in Georgia will pan out.  There's a D.C. arraignment clerk thing I'm filing Monday (I need to call and ask whether they need official transcripts or if unofficial ones are fine).  Presumably there is some kind of Goddamn job for a J.D. in this awful, Randian country.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 20, 2011, 07:20:24 PM

[Rimshot.]

And that statement would describe pretty much everyone that teaches abroad :lol:

Oh, I'm sure the PRC would love me.

Maybe I'll look into the Thai or Viet stuff.
Kinemalogue

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2011, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 20, 2011, 07:20:24 PM

[Rimshot.]

Oh, I'm sure the PRC would love me.

Maybe I'll look into the Thai or Viet stuff.

One of my friends from Korea spent time in Thailand and is thinking of going back there. I also have a friend in Vietnam and I traveled through there, so if you have any questions, just ask. :)