Obama dares Republicans to block his coming jobs package

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I would think the TP would be pretty hard on a spendy GOP president too. If McCain had won, we'd still have the backlash against debt. Only he'd probably draw more serious primary challenges than Obama.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2011, 12:39:07 PM
I would think the TP would be pretty hard on a spendy GOP president too. If McCain had won, we'd still have the backlash against debt. Only he'd probably draw more serious primary challenges than Obama.

It was just a total coincidence that they showed up once Obama got elected.  Likewise it was a total coincidence the anti-war movement died once Obama got elected.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 12:22:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 11:56:49 AM
Let's see what happens when President Romney/Perry/Bachman/some other goddamn loon passes a similar bill in the first year or their presidency.  You think anyone in the GOP is going to call out them out on any possible deficit problems? 

Yes.  The next GOP administration (whenever it happens) will not be a repeat of the Bush years.

Yeah the Dems said the same fucking thing yet here we are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

viper37

Yes.  The next GOP administration (whenever it happens) will not be a repeat of the Bush years.
The Bush administration was not supposed to be a repeat of the Reagan years either.
Yet...
You got masssive spendings approved by a majority GOP Congress.
Most of these expenses were for:
[/list][/list]

• A war in Iraq where the leaders of the country tought that praying would be sufficient to win the war, and as such no planning for the aftermath was necessary
  • a butched operation in Afghanistan since all resources were diverted to Iraq instead of gathering intelligence on Al-Queida
  • a tax cut for the very rich, wich had zero influence on the economy, and only delayed the inevitable
  • inept leadership in the face of economic turmoil, some banks were helped, some were not, confusing signals sent the markets spiraling down
  • help to US auto makers, wich the next govt had no choice but to continue
  • creation of new agencies, and multiplication of existing hierarchy to deal with new problems
  • ideologically motivated spending and cutting with regards to scientific research
Except for the 2 "hot" wars, I just don't see how it's different from Reagan.  He did run a very large deficit by increasing spending and reducing taxes, surfing on Carter's reform and pushing the country into recession by the end of its mandate.  He also socialized banks to avoid a big crisis, wich exploded while Bush Sr was in power, hence, in his case too, delaying the inevitable.

Clinton came, reduced spending, manage the deficit, paid back part of the debt, then Bush came in, did everything Reagan did with the same consequences, even worst, as he was unable to capture US Ennemy #1 while he was in US grasp as early as 2001.  Oh, and he dismantled the team charged with capturing him in 2005 saying it was not important to find him. 

All the while, he was supported in all he did by a Republican Congress.  Most of the same people still there today, pretending to be what's best for the US economy.

Frankly, I fail to see how anyone could believe them.  They are accomplices to one of the worst government in US history and now they tell us they've had a change of heart and will do things totally different if only they re-gained power?  I don't know about you, but I tend not to vote for this kind of people since, as history has proven, they keep repeating the same mistakes over&over.

The Democrats could be better if they had a President with a backbone, but it seems Obama is just as inept as Bush, the constant prayers in less.
I don't see a bright future the world's economy until someone can truly take the US #1 spot.

Could have been Canada, like in Barb Wire :P , but we've decided it's more important to look at the past than the future.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 12:27:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 11:38:35 AM
Eh even if he did offer specifics who cares?  It is not like when he does it really means anything.

I think it would mean a lot.  Particularly since he's already talking about how he'd use it against the GOP if they were against it. 

I really hope it includes a huge extension on unemployment benefits, since the administration seems to think that's a good way to get people back to work.

Well I guess that is true and to the extent it is good politics he will but just like his balanced budget proposals I doubt it will make much difference in convincing anybody or moving policy forward.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 01:07:43 PM
Well I guess that is true and to the extent it is good politics he will but just like his balanced budget proposals I doubt it will make much difference in convincing anybody or moving policy forward.

Did he release any details in his balanced budget proposals?  I remember hearing $4 billion or whatever, but I never heard where that was going to come from?

Maybe I'm not giving President Obama the benefit of the doubt he so richly deserves, but when I hear his administration talk about a "Jobs Bill" without any details, I assume it's just going to be more 'stimulus' spending that will again fall far short of promised job creation results.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 12:57:35 PM

The Bush administration was not supposed to be a repeat of the Reagan years either.

Why wouldn't they have wanted to repeat the Reagan years? That seems to be the gold standard for GOP pols.

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on August 17, 2011, 01:26:39 PM
Why wouldn't they have wanted to repeat the Reagan years? That seems to be the gold standard for GOP pols.

Yeah I am pretty sure that was the idea.

Berkut

Yet...
[/list][list=a]
  • A war in Iraq where the leaders of the country tought that praying would be sufficient to win the war
:lmfao:

Stopped reading right there...

Crazy much?[/list][/list]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 01:25:39 PM
Did he release any details in his balanced budget proposals?  I remember hearing $4 billion or whatever, but I never heard where that was going to come from?

Maybe I'm not giving President Obama the benefit of the doubt he so richly deserves, but when I hear his administration talk about a "Jobs Bill" without any details, I assume it's just going to be more 'stimulus' spending that will again fall far short of promised job creation results.

See I just presumed it is a political tactic without the intention of producing any results.  Anyway Obama has been in power now for 2.5 years he no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on August 17, 2011, 01:26:39 PM

Well the idea was to repeat the "Mythic Reagan" years, not the real Reagan.  Mythic Reagan was a hero who saved the economy and destroyed the Soviets with harsh words.  Real Reagan was a bit more nuanced.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 01:25:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 01:07:43 PM

$3 Trillion in cuts, $1 Trillion in tax raises. The GOP should have taken it, they got way less in the end by insisting on no tax hikes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2011, 01:49:51 PM

Yet...
[/list][list=a]
  • A war in Iraq where the leaders of the country tought that praying would be sufficient to win the war
:lmfao:

Stopped reading right there...

Crazy much?[/list][/list]
really, what was the plan for post-war Iraq, I mean, to stabilize the country once Saddam was toppled?  What has been done within the 1st year post-Saddam?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.