Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 03:00:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 02:36:11 PM
Montrealers, polite?

Now I know you are exaggerating.  ;)
well, I didn't say specifically Montrealers.  They are as polite as Parisians ;)
If English Canadians' taste of Quebec is only Montreal, than I understand the negative complaints ;)

Its hard to tell what might be motivating someone who writes in a comment.  Even harder to try to understand why anyone would read them.  Still harder to comprehend how anyone could make generalized assumptions about a linquistic group from such comments.

derspiess

I'd like to go to Quebec.  Among other things, to visit Unibroue in Chambly.  I figure my wife could handle speaking the French for us if that were an issue.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on August 08, 2013, 03:10:03 PM
I'd like to go to Quebec.  Among other things, to visit Unibroue in Chambly.  I figure my wife could handle the French for us if that were an issue.

Quebec City is lovely.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 03:06:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: fhdz on August 08, 2013, 02:32:26 PM
:D

Here, I'd like you to read the comments on this YouTube cat video, please. I'd like a full report.
I would love to study in a human science field, like sociology and be paid to read these things.  The few glimpse I got of Youtube is they are fucking insane.  And they usually switch to "America is Evil", "Israel is Nazi" and the "Nazis were cool" very quickly.

I interviewed for a job once at a company that did just that. Thought was even if some comments are garbage, they are out there and influencing people. (One of their clients was one of the arab emirates which was trying to improve its image).  Unfortunately, they only wanted to pay 35k.

Hey, we both know people who would happily tell the UAE that idiots on the Internet think they are all are stinking sand niggers for $35K .  :D

Hey, CdM, you reading this?!  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 03:11:03 PM
I'd like to go to Quebec.  Among other things, to visit Unibroue in Chambly.  I figure my wife could handle the French for us if that were an issue.

Quebec City is lovely.

Yes although I would wager mainly as a couple's getaway. 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 03:13:23 PM

Quebec City is lovely.

Yes, and since he was talking about taking his wife there my post seems to be right on topic. ;)

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 03:15:15 PM

Quebec City is lovely.

Yes, and since he was talking about taking his wife there my post seems to be right on topic. ;)

I didn't say it wasn't. I was just specifying as I don't see that mentioning one's wife negates one's children. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quebec City is lovely.

True, though they do have a cool fort with cannon. My kid loves looking at forts.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 03:17:35 PM

Quebec City is lovely.

I didn't say it wasn't. I was just specifying as I don't see that mentioning one's wife negates one's children. :P

Oh, I thought you were being self centered commenting on it not being much of a singles city.  As for kids, there are tonnes of things to do there.

Edit: Unless you are Tyr, then you would run out of things to do in 2.5 hours.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 03:17:35 PM

Quebec City is lovely.

Oh, I thought you were being self centered commenting on it not being much of a singles city.  As for kids, there are tonnes of things to do there.

Edit: Unless you are Tyr, then you would run out of things to do in 2.5 hours.

You only see the worst in me. -_-

Good call on the Jos meme.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 03:09:09 PM
Its hard to tell what might be motivating someone who writes in a comment.  Even harder to try to understand why anyone would read them.  Still harder to comprehend how anyone could make generalized assumptions about a linquistic group from such comments.
it's the fact they are considered acceptable from "respected" newspapers like the Globe&Mail and National Post more than the comments in themselves.
See, a recent example was Facebook refusing to shut down a hate page about the Lac Mégantic tragedy.
"The Lac-Megantic Train Disaster Was Hilarious "
"Ever tried deep-fried habitant before?"
"RIP you majestic train... all the oil that could have been used will be dearly missed "
"I'm just not being moved by this. As an english speaking Canadian, Quebec has always seemed like the other side of the world to me. They speak French and consider themselves 'distinct'. 25 dead and 25 still missing, that's the tragedy of the century by Canadian standards but it might as well be Nigeria. "

and so on.

Facebook answer at first?
"We reviewed the page you reported for containing credible threat of violence and found it doesn't violate our community standard...."

Imagine doing that about the Calgary floods...  The page would be taken down faster than I could type it.

Try any racist comment towards english-canadians on a french newspaper, and it will be taken down.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

:lol:

Those kind of comments are standard on just about any topic.

Ed Anger

When I was in Montreal, I was too busy trying to survive their shitty driving. About as bad as Massholes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive