Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 04:10:29 PM
Besides, even if that was a faux pas, that doesn't explain acting haughty once the waitress apologized.
I didn't excuse that, I said she was a bitch... ;)  It happens everytime, even between francophones.  Don't tell me it never happens in New York?  I heard it happens in Switzerland, though... :D

What happens? Acting haughty?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2013, 09:48:22 PM
I personally think of Quebecois as Nazis.  Viper would be Eichmann, Grallon would be Rohm and Grey Fox would be like a Rudolf Hoss commanding a camp where they re-educate people to speak really bad French.

Edit:  Oex is Rosenberg, Rex Francorum is the guy who did the soundtrack for Triumph of the Will.

:XD:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2013, 09:48:22 PM
I personally think of Quebecois as Nazis.  Viper would be Eichmann, Grallon would be Rohm and Grey Fox would be like a Rudolf Hoss commanding a camp where they re-educate people to speak really bad French.

Edit:  Oex is Rosenberg, Rex Francorum is the guy who did the soundtrack for Triumph of the Will.

:lol:

This pointless discussion suddenly took a turn for the amusing.

-----

Viper,

I'm puzzled as to why you go on wasting time with these people?  It's not like you'll see them acknowledge any of your points - this is Languish after all.  But even by Languish standards this particular topic brings out the worst in some posters - making it an even bigger exercise in futility.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 10:04:31 PM
Besides, even if that was a faux pas, that doesn't explain acting haughty once the waitress apologized.
I didn't excuse that, I said she was a bitch... ;)  It happens everytime, even between francophones.  Don't tell me it never happens in New York?  I heard it happens in Switzerland, though... :D

the Oprah story.  It was reported in the local medias, I can't imagine it didn't make CNN news headline for 24hrs?  She went into a luxury store to buy a purse, the saleswoman said "not this one, it's too expensive" (38 000$).  Apparently, it made a big story in the US, but I usually don't bother with this stuff, so I didn't even check it out.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 10:04:09 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand your position. It doesn't bother me one bit if someone starts speaking to me in another language.
If, in New York, people would constantly adress you in Chinese first, over time, you'd probably get annoyed.  It's not the isolated fact, it's the constant reminder that we are considered a colony.

With 95% of the people in the country speaking english, other languages are not a threat, yet, there are english-only movements accros the US, and many States have felt the need to establish English as their only official language.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on August 13, 2013, 06:49:33 AM
Viper,

I'm puzzled as to why you go on wasting time with these people?  It's not like you'll see them acknowledge any of your points - this is Languish after all.  But even by Languish standards this particular topic brings out the worst in some posters - making it an even bigger exercise in futility.

G.
I believe there is good in all humans.  Yes, even Neil.  :P

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2013, 08:36:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 10:04:09 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand your position. It doesn't bother me one bit if someone starts speaking to me in another language.
If, in New York, people would constantly adress you in Chinese first, over time, you'd probably get annoyed.  It's not the isolated fact, it's the constant reminder that we are considered a colony.

You have to make up your mind. It is either all the time or occasionally. It can't be both. ;)

Oh and no, if they would immediately switch to English when I responded in English, why would I care?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2013, 08:34:57 AM

the Oprah story.  It was reported in the local medias, I can't imagine it didn't make CNN news headline for 24hrs?  She went into a luxury store to buy a purse, the saleswoman said "not this one, it's too expensive" (38 000$).  Apparently, it made a big story in the US, but I usually don't bother with this stuff, so I didn't even check it out.

:huh:

What is this?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2013, 08:42:44 AM
You have to make up your mind. It is either all the time or occasionally. It can't be both. ;)
more than occasionally ;)

Francophones are latins, they are not good with numbers, "all the time" does not equal 100% :P

Oh and no, if they would immediately switch to English when I responded in English, why would I care?
Give it time? :)

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2013, 08:43:27 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2013, 08:34:57 AM

:huh:

What is this?
you forced me to read shitty newspaper article?  I hate you Garbon, I hate you!!  :D  I tried to stay away from such idiocies, but here it is:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389798/Oprah-Winfrey-branded-liar-Swiss-sales-assistant-racist-handbag-row.html

Anyway, the point was that there are haughty people everywhere :)

garbon

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2013, 08:53:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2013, 08:42:44 AM
more than occasionally ;)

Francophones are latins, they are not good with numbers, "all the time" does not equal 100% :P

Give it time? :)

I could see it if you didn't know English but you do, so it isn't as though it is making your life more difficult. At least in my scenario there would be a little difficulty as I wouldn't know what they were saying but if they switched languages like the waitress did, wouldn't be a problem.

In fact, there are plenty of people I deal with regularly that have such broken English that it makes more sense to just rely on the typical social script and I've no problem with that.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2013, 09:03:26 AM
I could see it if you didn't know English but you do, so it isn't as though it is making your life more difficult. At least in my scenario there would be a little difficulty as I wouldn't know what they were saying but if they switched languages like the waitress did, wouldn't be a problem.

In fact, there are plenty of people I deal with regularly that have such broken English that it makes more sense to just rely on the typical social script and I've no problem with that.
Well, I find it abnormal that people who spent their entire lives in Quebec, especially those whose family was here for more than one generation not to speak a word of french.  I find it distasteful from these people and a clear sign of disrespect.

They live here, in a place where the majority speaks french, yet they treat us like they are colonial masters.

I can understand recent immigrants, but people born&raised in Quebec refusing to learn the damn language? You think a francophone could survive outside of Quebec without knowing english?  How about in New York?  Could I live my life in French, teach only French to my kids&grandkids and expect that we all have a prosperous life?  It didn't seem to work that well before, but who knows...

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2013, 09:05:54 PM
Well, I find it abnormal that people who spent their entire lives in Quebec, especially those whose family was here for more than one generation not to speak a word of french.  I find it distasteful from these people and a clear sign of disrespect.

:hmm:

Isn't this the result of the bilingualism laws Quebec has insisted on though? Or don't they apply to Quebec?

I agree it's rude but isn't bilingualism in signage and government services etc. the reason they can spend their entire lives in Quebec while not speaking Quebecois French?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Viper's always trying to draw this weird equivalence between French and English.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.