Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 12:06:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 11:48:25 AM
Speaking French west of St-Laurent street in Montreal will get you dirty looks ;)

Probably because everyone understands what you are saying about them. ;)
In downtown Montreal, english is still the language you'll most often hear.  People will use english first, then switch to French if you insist.

I find hard to believe all those tales of English Canadians who were "molested" by angry mob of French speakers, especially when most American tourists will say they were very well treated in Quebec...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 01:10:36 PM
I find hard to believe all those tales of English Canadians who were "molested" by angry mob of French speakers, especially when most American tourists will say they were very well treated in Quebec...

I've never actually heard any such tales.

Either of English speaking people being molested by mobs ... or of Montrealers being polite to Americans.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 01:23:20 PM

I've never actually heard any such tales.

Either of English speaking people being molested by mobs ... or of Montrealers being polite to Americans.  :P

:lol:

Viper - I generally had everyone start up in French unless I spoke in English*. Most people didn't give any lip though there were a couple in QC. Oh and that waitress in Montreal who proceeded to give me the opposite of everything I asked for. :D

*in fact, I had one transaction conducted entirely in French but that's because I never spoke up. A price check at the grocery store.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 01:10:36 PMIn downtown Montreal, english is still the language you'll most often hear.  People will use english first, then switch to French if you insist.

Is that okay?

QuoteI find hard to believe all those tales of English Canadians who were "molested" by angry mob of French speakers, especially when most American tourists will say they were very well treated in Quebec...

I haven't heard any such tales of Anglos being molested. Perhaps they're reported more prominently in the French press?

crazy canuck

I find hard to believe all those tales of English Canadians who were "molested" by angry mob of French speakers

So do I - at least I would not believe them if I had heard any such tales.

viper37

Either of English speaking people being molested by mobs
obviously, I was exagerating a little :)
But on blog comments, it's frequent that you'll see English Canadians complaining that Quebecers are rude to them while Americans consider they met very polite people ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 01:40:52 PM
I haven't heard any such tales of Anglos being molested. Perhaps they're reported more prominently in the French press?
English Canadians blogs on sites such as Toronto Star, Globe And Mail, Sun networks, National Post, etc.
Read the comments at the end of the weekly anti-Quebec editorial, it's enlighting ;)

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 02:14:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 01:40:52 PM
English Canadians blogs on sites such as Toronto Star, Globe And Mail, Sun networks, National Post, etc.
Read the comments at the end of the weekly anti-Quebec editorial, it's enlighting ;)

Reading the comments on newspaper sites is never enlightening. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Read the comments?

Are you mad? That's a terrible idea.

fhdz

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 02:29:10 PM

Read the comments?

:D

Here, I'd like you to read the comments on this YouTube cat video, please. I'd like a full report.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: fhdz on August 08, 2013, 02:32:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 02:29:10 PM

Read the comments?

Here, I'd like you to read the comments on this YouTube cat video, please. I'd like a full report.

Guys, please. Be kind. You are trampling on Viper's whole world-view with your mockery.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 02:13:56 PM
Either of English speaking people being molested by mobs
obviously, I was exagerating a little :)
But on blog comments, it's frequent that you'll see English Canadians complaining that Quebecers are rude to them while Americans consider they met very polite people ;)

Montrealers, polite?

Now I know you are exaggerating.  ;)

viper37

I would love to study in a human science field, like sociology and be paid to read these things.  The few glimpse I got of Youtube is they are fucking insane.  And they usually switch to "America is Evil", "Israel is Nazi" and the "Nazis were cool" very quickly.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 02:36:11 PM
Montrealers, polite?

Now I know you are exaggerating.  ;)
well, I didn't say specifically Montrealers.  They are as polite as Parisians ;)
If English Canadians' taste of Quebec is only Montreal, than I understand the negative complaints ;)

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 02:57:43 PM

I would love to study in a human science field, like sociology and be paid to read these things.  The few glimpse I got of Youtube is they are fucking insane.  And they usually switch to "America is Evil", "Israel is Nazi" and the "Nazis were cool" very quickly.

I interviewed for a job once at a company that did just that. Thought was even if some comments are garbage, they are out there and influencing people. (One of their clients was one of the arab emirates which was trying to improve its image).  Unfortunately, they only wanted to pay 35k.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.