Britain burns - Chavs ruin civilization

Started by Tamas, August 07, 2011, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2011, 09:47:53 AM
What the UK desperately needs now is a tightening and expansion of surveillance measures.

What they need are snipers on the rooftops. Can only been a question of time before some citizen takes to the roof with a hunting rifle and starts defending his property and/or local community... 
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Brazen

We've been told we can go home early if there's likely to be trouble in our areas. If we knew where it was going to kick off we'd be telling the police! Sorry, da feds.

Palisadoes

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2011, 10:02:36 AM
As I said before, bull shit.

Slargos said it, actually. But you are still wrong. People are not inherently inclined to riot.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on August 09, 2011, 10:30:17 AM
We've been told we can go home early if there's likely to be trouble in our areas. If we knew where it was going to kick off we'd be telling the police! Sorry, da feds.

Our London office went home early today.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2011, 10:40:08 AM
Our London office went home early today.
I can't be arsed. But if the offy is shut so I can't get a bottle of red on my way home, then I'll be rioting!

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on August 09, 2011, 09:34:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2011, 09:18:23 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 09, 2011, 09:15:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2011, 09:12:15 AM
Quote from: Palisadoes on August 09, 2011, 08:23:14 AM
The nationalisation of child raising is certainly proving to be a failure.

This sounds like a ridiculous conclusion. I hate how now everyone will come out of woodwork to trump their pet cause (austerity measures, "nationalisation of child raising", the rent being too high) as the cause, whereas the cause is simple. People behave like this when they can.

Bull. Shit.

This is a mud/chav problem, not poverty problem.

Who the fuck said it is a poverty problem? I said people behave like this when they can. As someone said, our civilization is three hot meals away from barbarity - you could add a corollary that it is also a bunch of cops away from that.

The problem is these districts were not being policed. The chavs called the bluff in one place and saw they can behave like they want to with impunity - and so chavs in other places realized that they can too, and they did.

This is not because people today are different, but because in the past if they tried something like this, they would have been mowed down.

Reminds me of the Vancouver Riot. There was no 'structural' reason for it at all - the rioters rioted because they could get away with it.

The main feature these days is social media, which makes it much easier to organize a critical mass of rioters.

I seriously doubt that wide scale rioting, murder and thievery is only curbed by the presence of an all-mighty police force.

Sure, there's wide-spread illegal hunting in rural parts of Sweden, but the last time there was a riot in ethnically homogenous parts is not in living memory and some of those places don't see a cop for months at a time.

Although to be honest, I guess it's possible to term the Ådalen Shootings a riot.

Martinus

Slargos, as I said, Poland is as ethnically homogenous as they come, and still the "underclass" ocassionally riots (e.g. during football hooligan fights or "trade union" protests). That's when you whip up rubber bullets and water cannons and the rabble gets its come-uppance.

But then Poland is not a country for half-measures. When back in July football hooligans ravaged a stadium in one of the Polish cities and it was clear the football clubs can't be arsed to do anything about their riotous fans, the government shut down all stadiums in Poland for fans for 2 months (message to clubs: start cooperating in curbing hooligan violence or lose shitload of money) and dawn-raided homes of known "football fan" leaders with SWAT teams for questioning.

The government ratings went up immediately.

Edit: Of course both the leftist and the right wing opposition parties protested but who the fuck cares.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2011, 11:06:22 AM
Slargos, as I said, Poland is as ethnically homogenous as they come, and still the "underclass" ocassionally riots (e.g. during football hooligan fights or "trade union" protests). That's when you whip up rubber bullets and water cannons and the rabble gets its come-uppance.

But then Poland is not a country for half-measures. When back in July football hooligans ravaged a stadium in one of the Polish cities and it was clear the football clubs can't be arsed to do anything about their riotous fans, the government shut down all stadiums in Poland for fans for 2 months (message to clubs: start cooperating in curbing hooligan violence or lose shitload of money) and dawn-raided homes of known "football fan" leaders with SWAT teams for questioning.

The government ratings went up immediately.

Edit: Of course both the leftist and the right wing opposition parties protested but who the fuck cares.

Actually, fair enough. If you define "riot" so loosely, then they're not exactly uncommon here either. I'm not comfortable with defining hooliga violence under the same terms as the London riots since the aims and methods of the involved are so different.

Slargos

Bah. After a bit of research I can only conclude that I am wrong on several counts.  :D

Still, it appears that most of the "riots" in Sweden during the 20th century have been demonstrations turned ugly, and fights with the police or ideological opposition.

No mention of this kind of wide-spread looting and destruction before the 90s.

MadImmortalMan

Sales of baseball bats and self defense weapons are skyrocketing on Amazon.uk as riots in Britain continued yesterday for a third-straight night.

In the past 24 hours, sales of Aluminum baseball bats on the site have risen by 5,149% — and are even on sale.

Orders of Military Police Telescopic Tonfas are up over 5,000% as well, while wooden bats appear slightly less popular, but are still up 3,664%.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/sales-of-aluminum-bats-on-amazonuk-up-over-5000-as-riots-continue-2011-8#ixzz1UY6bBFlq

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 09, 2011, 11:22:03 AM
Sales of baseball bats and self defense weapons are skyrocketing on Amazon.uk as riots in Britain continued yesterday for a third-straight night.

In the past 24 hours, sales of Aluminum baseball bats on the site have risen by 5,149% — and are even on sale.

Orders of Military Police Telescopic Tonfas are up over 5,000% as well, while wooden bats appear slightly less popular, but are still up 3,664%.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/sales-of-aluminum-bats-on-amazonuk-up-over-5000-as-riots-continue-2011-8#ixzz1UY6bBFlq

Metal is good for better darky bashing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

I came out of another weekend long retreat only to find out there's been riots in London for 3 days now - spreading to other cities.  This is reminiscent of what happened in France some years ago.  So Brits - what's going on?

Are there Muslims involved again?  Or is this just youthful exuberance?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on August 09, 2011, 11:10:33 AM
Actually, fair enough. If you define "riot" so loosely, then they're not exactly uncommon here either. I'm not comfortable with defining hooliga violence under the same terms as the London riots since the aims and methods of the involved are so different.
As I said repeatedly, the situation in London did not start as a mass looting in several districts at once - it deteriorated to that state.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on August 08, 2011, 05:48:52 PM
If this continues, I'm walking across the street to talk to the local business owners about setting up a civil defence unit.

Down in Dalston, the Turks took up kebab knives to defend their shops. Awesome.
My area too.  The looters tried to attack a few shops on Whitechapel and got chased off by the East London Mosque's Ramadan prayers congregation :)

Lots of the shops are shuttered for the night now.  The middle-aged men of the area are meeting at Mosques and trying to keep things safe/chase looters away.  Having said all that my area is the sort that could get targeted (we've got a Curry's and a PC World).  Hopefully it'll be quiet again tonight.

We need rain.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2011, 08:14:40 AM
I don't think he is a leftie. He is a bit like me - an elitist.
Shouldn't elitists be actually elite?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.