Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 01:15:32 PM
Pretty clearly, newspapers cannot print every letter to the editor.  What makes the internet so powerful is that they can post every comment on their web site.

I fear that what ABB was asking for was not to be heard, but to be validated.  He was going to be frustrated no matter what the papers and whatnot did.

Yeah, pretty much.

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:30:35 PMYeah. I'm sure starting a newspaper, especially in this economical climate, is easy as taking a crap in the woods.  :D

So the complaint is not so much that the views are muzzled, but that people who don't agree with those views don't spend their time and money promulgating them?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2011, 01:40:12 PM
Going to church isn't "cool", Ned.

:lol:

Cool as in "that's alright, your business." Not cool as in "hottest new fashion, all the kids want to do it!"  :P

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2011, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:30:35 PMYeah. I'm sure starting a newspaper, especially in this economical climate, is easy as taking a crap in the woods.  :D

So the complaint is not so much that the views are muzzled, but that people who don't agree with those views don't spend their time and money promulgating them?

You're glossing over a very real problem.

I guess though that if people who shared my political views had a near total monopoly in the market of propaganda, I wouldn't be too concerned about it either. So I suppose you're off the hook.

Martinus

Indeed. It sounds like a bitch's complaint to me.

To quote Jacek Kuron, one of the leaders of the Solidarity movement, "Don't blow up committees. Start your own."

The Brain

I'm shocked that the papers won't print that young innocent people should be mass murdered.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 24, 2011, 01:49:39 PM

To quote Jacek Kuron, one of the leaders of the Solidarity movement, "Don't burn down committees. Start your own."

I guess they should start their own universities then, aswell, huh?

Oh, wait. There's a monopoly there aswell.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2011, 01:50:32 PM
I'm shocked that the papers won't print that young innocent people should be mass murdered.

Indeed. Maybe if they printed it, they would have caught the guy earlier.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 24, 2011, 01:49:39 PM

To quote Jacek Kuron, one of the leaders of the Solidarity movement, "Don't burn down committees. Start your own."

I guess they should start their own universities then, aswell, huh?

Oh, wait. There's a monopoly there aswell.

You have a goddamn democracy. You are not a poor country. If your views are not represented, then either you are lazy or perhaps you are a fringe nut.

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2011, 01:37:39 PM

Do you want to limit other peoples' enjoyment of the rights, do you want to control members in your family through violence, do you want to impose change on society through violence or illegal acts, do you want to force other people to adhere to your particular cultural values? Not cool.

Are you disingenuous enough to believe that one doesn't proceed from the other?  Or are you actually incapable of seeing it?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Slargos should put manifestos in each of the cabinets he sells.  That would be a good way to spread the message.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 24, 2011, 01:52:04 PM

You have a goddamn democracy. You are not a poor country. If your views are not represented, then either you are lazy or perhaps you are a fringe nut.

I was going to elaborate more on the subject but frankly it's like beating my head against a wall, unconstructive and not very amusing.

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on July 24, 2011, 01:55:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 24, 2011, 01:52:04 PM

I was going to elaborate more on the subject but frankly it's like beating my head against a wall, unconstructive and not very amusing.

Really? I find it strangely rewarding.

Slargos

Quote from: Grallon on July 24, 2011, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 24, 2011, 01:37:39 PM

Do you want to limit other peoples' enjoyment of the rights, do you want to control members in your family through violence, do you want to impose change on society through violence or illegal acts, do you want to force other people to adhere to your particular cultural values? Not cool.

Are you disingenuous enough to believe that one doesn't proceed from the other?  Or are you actually incapable of seeing it?

G.

That is certainly the million mohammedan question. Are they stupid, or are they just deluded?