And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2024, 12:42:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2024, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2024, 11:24:30 AMI don't like the minus 6 points punishment either. I would have disqualified Canada from the tournament.

There was a poll done in which well over 90% of Canadians agree with you.

How often does the 8th ranked team loses against the 22nd in the men's game?

More often than you think. OTOH, the ladies' game is less competitive, I'll grant you that.

QuoteCWNT is going to beat Colombia.

On verra, comme dit l'aveugle. :P

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 01:27:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2024, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:40:31 PMA lot of ifs.  :P

Only one if :D .

Well, two I guess, Frances outcome affects whether a victorious Canada goes second or first.

See, you just discovered plural. :P

You said " disqualifies Canada from the tournament", but one "if" is all it takes to make that wrong :contract: the second if is just gravy on top :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 31, 2024, 12:15:04 PM... and I'd like to see some evidence that "everyone does it." Sounds like a lousy excuse to me.
Yeah the only other example I've heard of like this is Leeds - who had coaches spying at their next opponents' training grounds.

I can't think of anything else like this - and there's a reason they needed a drone because training camps are normally private, secure locations.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Wasn't it a thing in the NFL and MLB? Not necessarily drones, but filming practises and signs for the MLB. against the rules but everyone was doing it.

Anyway, regardless, Canada shouldn't have done it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Zoupa

I don't have anything relevant to say, except I petition BB to stop writing "So look," on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS POSTS.

I'm not sure why it bugs me, but it does.

That is all.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2024, 01:37:14 PMWasn't it a thing in the NFL and MLB? Not necessarily drones, but filming practises and signs for the MLB. against the rules but everyone was doing it.

Ah... if "everyone's doing it" means "North Americans are doing it frequently in all their different sports" then it might be true (and an indictment of North American sporting culture, IMO). I thought it meant "many if not most other countries are doing it in soccer" - which I would find absolutely shocking if true.

QuoteAnyway, regardless, Canada shouldn't have done it.

Agreed.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on July 31, 2024, 01:56:36 PMI don't have anything relevant to say, except I petition BB to stop writing "So look," on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS POSTS.

I'm not sure why it bugs me, but it does.

That is all.

So look - no.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

Ah, I've missed this passive-aggressive stuff so much.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on July 31, 2024, 04:17:46 PMAh, I've missed this passive-aggressive stuff so much.

Fuck off. 

I don't do passive-aggressive - just aggressive aggressive. :P

HVC

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2024, 12:38:17 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:36:32 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2024, 11:24:30 AMI don't like the minus 6 points punishment either. I would have disqualified Canada from the tournament.

In practical terms, removing 6 points disqualifies Canada from the tournament, however.

Not if they beat Colombia today :P

6 points is weird. Dangling hope. If taking a team out effects the scoring of the others (best third place team rankings) then do a 9 point penalty. 

To ensure they're still expected to put on a bit of a show for the paying customers?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on July 31, 2024, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2024, 12:38:17 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:36:32 PM

In practical terms, removing 6 points disqualifies Canada from the tournament, however.

Not if they beat Colombia today :P

6 points is weird. Dangling hope. If taking a team out effects the scoring of the others (best third place team rankings) then do a 9 point penalty. 

To ensure they're still expected to put on a bit of a show for the paying customers?

Thinking it over, probably in-line with BBs NHL history, a "punishment" to look tough, but without any real consequence.

Only watched the highlights, but nice goal.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2024, 04:45:26 PMI don't do passive-aggressive - just aggressive aggressive. :P

You totally do passive-aggressive :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 31, 2024, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2024, 04:45:26 PMI don't do passive-aggressive - just aggressive aggressive. :P

You totally do passive-aggressive :lol:

Fuck off, you fucking fuck-headed fuck.