News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2024, 06:02:52 PMIf they're on the national team, how many matches does a fodboller play each year?  The schedule seems exhausting.

Competitive games can get up to 60. This is the main reasoning behind szieable, expensive squads for rotation.
Depending on if there is an international competition like the European Championship, African Cup of Nations, Copa America or World Cup.

I think it shows that fitness levels are beyond what they were at any point before, but so is the medical teams supporting each club.

There aren't much hanging around at pubs after matches these days. For the players.

I'm becoming more and more sceptical of these developments as there is something of an inflation of games. How many European competitions are there now? Four? I can't tell you who won last year's Europa League.

Tamas

Gups

Josquius

Quote from: Norgy on September 06, 2024, 04:27:00 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2024, 06:02:52 PMIf they're on the national team, how many matches does a fodboller play each year?  The schedule seems exhausting.

Competitive games can get up to 60. This is the main reasoning behind szieable, expensive squads for rotation.
Depending on if there is an international competition like the European Championship, African Cup of Nations, Copa America or World Cup.

I think it shows that fitness levels are beyond what they were at any point before, but so is the medical teams supporting each club.

There aren't much hanging around at pubs after matches these days. For the players.

I'm becoming more and more sceptical of these developments as there is something of an inflation of games. How many European competitions are there now? Four? I can't tell you who won last year's Europa League.

Honestly my 'feeling' is kind of the opposite on Euro competitions.
I remember back in the 90s it seemed there was a bunch of European competitions and they were all quite respected and followed.
These days there's the champions league and the Europa league as a sort of second class CL failure's competition.

May just be my small c football conservatism coming through but I would like if we return back to that- could also help bring some value back to the FA Cup if the cup winners cup actually demanded winning it (or at least being runner up if the league champion does the double)

Checking up there's also the UEFA Conference League at the moment. Now that I read about it I vaguely remember hearing about it in the past when West Ham won but it had completely dropped out of my mind.

The nations league is of course stupid and needs to be just dropped.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Why do you think the lie down and cry so easily on the pitch? They are clearly over-worked.
Show some solidarity, there are limits to what 150.000 pounds a week can buy.  <_<

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2024, 05:35:29 AM

I don't think anybody is feeling sorry for them but rather is playing that many games hurting the sport in some way.

Granted these guys aren't exactly playing American Football out there. The NBA guys play many more games so I don't know. I don't play dozens of soccer games every year so I don't know the physical toll.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I would argue against the moans of man city et al about playing too many games - that's the point.
You shouldn't be firing on full across all competitions. Trying to win everything should be costing you more than if you focussed on one thing.
However that doesn't help the top players they're trying to make play a bazillion minutes a season.
I wonder whether a rule about max game time players can play in a season might be an approach worth considering?
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

So, Norway is playing away against Kazakhstan, you know, that well-known European country not at all bordering all sorts of other -stans and being well into Asia, in the UEFA Nations League. The TV production is apparently Kazakh, because a few dubious penalty decisions have not been shown in replay.  :lol:

Josquius

The AFC is a nonsensical mess. I'm not surprised they'd rather be in UEFA really.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

And it was a glorious 0-0 draw, such a delight for the neutrals. Haaland looked more likely to be stolen as a wife of some of the defenders than scoring, and Ødegaard had five Cossacks around him at all times.

HVC

Canada beat the US in an away game for the first time in 67 years. It was a friendly, but I'll take it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.