News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Canada's appeal was denied.  And for good reason.  An email was found in which Priestman was asking HR what to do about an analyst who was refusing her request to 'scout' an opposing team using a drone.  He complained that the analyst was refusing to do it for ethical reasons but she explained it is necessary, supported by Soccer Canada, used by the Men's team, and besides everyone does it.

I think a lot of heads are going to roll over this.

Jacob

Josquius

So much for Priestmans promising career?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

So... "dronegate"...

So look.  I complained about the chronic cheating in soccer earlier in this thread.  The diving, the whinging, etc.  I hate it, and it's why I"m not a bigger soccer fan.

So Canada was cheating, and deserves to be punished.

But it's also part of the damn sport (which is why I don't like it).  I keep hearing about how "everyone does it".  I don't think anyone out there in the world seems to care that Canada was spying on New Zealand.  Our only sin according to some is that we were caught.

I also think back to last month's Copa America.  Remember how Uruguay's players charged into the stands to fight fans?  It was however announced that whatever penalty would only be assessed after the end of Copa America - which meant Uruguay was unpunished going into the third place final against Canada.  And googling it now, I can't find that any punishment was levelled against Uruguay.

Finally - I don't like the "-6 points" punishment.  Look, - either kick out the Canadian women, or don't.  It doesn't make any sense to me how a team can be caught cheating, penalized in the standings, but allowed to continue competing.  Because as I understand it, if Canada can beat Colombia today, they still advance, despite the -6 points.

It's kind of like fighting in hockey (Hey forgive me - I'm Canadian).  It's against the rules - but the only penalty is a five minute penalty, usually given to both players.  If fighting is against the rules, makes it AGAINST THE RULES.  Eject the players from the game automatically - maybe even for multiple games.  You'd get rid of fighting almost overnight if you did that.  But instead it's a wink and a now we're "against fighting", but won't do much top prevent it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I don't like the minus 6 points punishment either. I would have disqualified Canada from the tournament.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2024, 11:24:30 AMI don't like the minus 6 points punishment either. I would have disqualified Canada from the tournament.

There was a poll done in which well over 90% of Canadians agree with you.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2024, 11:13:46 AMIt's kind of like fighting in hockey (Hey forgive me - I'm Canadian).  It's against the rules - but the only penalty is a five minute penalty, usually given to both players.  If fighting is against the rules, makes it AGAINST THE RULES.  Eject the players from the game automatically - maybe even for multiple games.  You'd get rid of fighting almost overnight if you did that.  But instead it's a wink and a now we're "against fighting", but won't do much top prevent it.

And as I have pointed out before, that is the problem with Hockey.

Let's not tarnish other sports in the same way.

Jacob

Yeah the "everyone does it, why is it a big deal" is anathema IMO.

It's garbage. Crack down.

... and I'd like to see some evidence that "everyone does it." Sounds like a lousy excuse to me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2024, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2024, 11:24:30 AMI don't like the minus 6 points punishment either. I would have disqualified Canada from the tournament.

In practical terms, removing 6 points disqualifies Canada from the tournament, however.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:36:32 PM

In practical terms, removing 6 points disqualifies Canada from the tournament, however.

Not if they beat Colombia today :P

6 points is weird. Dangling hope. If taking a team out effects the scoring of the others (best third place team rankings) then do a 9 point penalty. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:40:31 PMA lot of ifs.  :P

Only one if :D .

Well, two I guess, Frances outcome affects whether a victorious Canada goes second or first.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:36:32 PM

How often does the 8th ranked team loses against the 22nd in the men's game?

CWNT is going to beat Colombia.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2024, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2024, 12:40:31 PMA lot of ifs.  :P

Only one if :D .

Well, two I guess, Frances outcome affects whether a victorious Canada goes second or first.

See, two that's just a lot. :P