Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Norgy

:cry:

This is a Ted Lasso moment, innit?

Duque de Bragança

Much to his Languish fans' chagrin  :D , Pepe has retired.

30 min or so video to announce his retirement. The end of an era :(

Josquius

Football season started 2 weekends ago.
And at risk of jinxing things - we are facing one of the strongest teams this week - so far so good.
Two wins out of two including a very very convincing 4-0 win.
I was worried coming in. We just appointed a new manager over summer. A Frenchman named Regis Le Bris who we took from a side he just saw relegated to ligue 2.

Our first choice, Will Still, had been chased for months and was an ongoing saga. Alas he was tempted by one of the top French teams instead, and possibly scared away from our strict director of football model.
Lots of rumblings Regis was just a yes man and a repeat of our last desperate appointment....
But looking good.
We even scored some set pieces.

In football people might actually have seen - anyone see that goal of the season which the refs screw up led to being disallowed? Madness.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Spurs - Leicester for the opening of the season. I think Spurs had 75 % possession and Leicester had 1 shot on target.

Final score 1-1.  :ike:  :ike:  :ike:  :ike:  :ike:

Can someone explain the Solanke signing to me? Spurs paid 65M for his release clause lol. WHAT THE FUCK.

Syt

https://www.srf.ch/news/wirtschaft/wegen-website-in-suchresultat-fifa-klagt-vor-zuercher-gericht-gegen-google-wegen-rufschaedigung

Using Chrome's translate:

QuoteFIFA sues Google in Zurich court for defamation

FIFA is specifically concerned about a website that appears in Google search results when people search for the world football association. The site is dedicated exclusively to FIFA and directly attacks its officials, such as FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

From FIFA's point of view, the site spreads untruths: it is portrayed as a corrupt organisation riddled with mafia structures. :lmfao:  :lmfao:  :lmfao:  The world football association is demanding that Google no longer display these sites in its search results when someone googles FIFA.

FIFA's lawyer told SRF News that the world football association has no objection to critical media reports. Unlike other media, the website in question does not adhere to any rules and its content goes way beyond the mark. This constitutes a violation of personal rights. FIFA is therefore demanding that the site and its articles no longer appear in Google search results.

The US technology company with offices in Zurich takes the position that it is not Google's job to determine the veracity of the website in question. Furthermore, the page is only displayed far down in the search results. It does not appear within the first ten pages, Google argued in court.

If FIFA gets its way with its demands, it would mean a major problem for Google. It could then be the case that the search engine would have to remove many other websites from its results in the future. This scenario is impossible for the US technology company.

FIFA has its headquarters in Zurich. Google also has a prominent presence in the city with several offices. But that is not the reason why the trial is taking place in Zurich.

Swiss law is more restrictive when it comes to personal injury than other countries, such as the USA or Germany. Not only those who actively spread content that is damaging to reputation can be convicted, but also those who aid and abet it. In this case, that would be Google.

FIFA could have started the process anywhere, but it seems that the world football association is hoping for better chances in Switzerland. The judges are now deliberating on the case. It is unclear when a verdict will be reached.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

On the one hand this is kind of surprising since Switzerland is a neo liberal dystopia.
But then I remember what I was told once (and then again by a totally different person). .. In Switzerland murder as many people as you want BUT do not fuck with money or you're going away for a long time.
I do suppose this impacts on revenue streams.

Fingers crossed there's a sensible court who point out the things this site says are actually true.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

In the early days of the internet I worked on a case in which the courts had to decide whether someone who publishes a link to a defamatory publication was themselves committing an act of defamation.  It went all the way to the SCC, each level of court held that merely linking the material is not enough.  The person publishing the link would have to commit their own act of defamation, for example by saying the defamation was true.

Like what Jos just did.  It's interesting to see how casually people make defamatory comments these days.

It will also be interesting to see how the Swiss court deals with this.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 22, 2024, 01:33:18 AMOn the one hand this is kind of surprising since Switzerland is a neo liberal dystopia.
Don't see how anything there is a problem for a neo-liberal dystopia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2024, 07:08:19 AMIn the early days of the internet I worked on a case in which the courts had to decide whether someone who publishes a link to a defamatory publication was themselves committing an act of defamation.  It went all the way to the SCC, each level of court held that merely linking the material is not enough.  The person publishing the link would have to commit their own act of defamation, for example by saying the defamation was true.

Like what Jos just did.  It's interesting to see how casually people make defamatory comments these days.

It will also be interesting to see how the Swiss court deals with this.

off topic, sorry:

Different thing altogether, but what do you think of this?

So on Facebook the other day, I follow a local community page. On it someone posted a picture of a man sitting on a park bench. She said she saw this man looking at young girls playing on the swings.  And that she'd seen him there before. When questioned by some posters, that he could have been just sitting there, she edited her post to say he was "doing inappropriate things."

Now the picture did not show him doing anything inappropriate and there was no other proof other than her allegations. This would not make it into real media. I reported it to FB, but they have not taken it down.

Isn't it defamatory?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

If the identity of the person she was posting about is known then yes, under Canadian law, that is defamation.

Tamas

I have noticed the Guardian sport "journalists" have tsken great offense at Chelsea dropping an English winger. I mean Sterling of course. That guy was completely unpredictable in whether he would show up in spirit to a given game, so for me makes perfect sense not wanting to pay him, but the journos have been acting like it was some mad mistake.

Josquius

Real football on hold this week for internationals.
I note an interesting result this evening.
San Marino 1 - 0 Liechtenstein.
I do believe thats their second win ever and something like their 15th goal.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

If they're on the national team, how many matches does a fodboller play each year?  The schedule seems exhausting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2024, 06:02:52 PMIf they're on the national team, how many matches does a fodboller play each year?  The schedule seems exhausting.
It is. I think Harry Kane or Kylian Mbappe, for example, will play about 50 games a year (for their club domestically and in Europe, plus internationals) - but that's excluding friendlies or going to China for a pre-season tour where (commercially) they may need to play the big stars too.

It's insane and is not good for the players or sport.
Let's bomb Russia!