0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2011, 01:27:10 AM
His humour will not be everyone's cup of tea,

You got that right.

I remember when I came home from the theater, and my sister told my Mom how I was crying a little when Spock died, and she was all like, "Don't worry, they'll figure out a way to bring him back."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
The Wrath of Khan and his Shiny Prosthetic Pectorals was awesome swashbuckling fun at the time but looks terribly dated now.  Bladerunner and The Thing do not.  Slight edge to to The Thing, as the Bladerunner has some slow moody parts that The Thing does not.

I just watched Bladerunner last night (never seen it before  :blush: ) and yeah it quite holds up if you discount the fact that technological progress went into a different direction (we dont have video phone booths, we have mobiles,etc).

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on July 17, 2011, 07:00:14 AM
I just watched Bladerunner last night (never seen it before  :blush: ) and yeah it quite holds up if you discount the fact that technological progress went into a different direction (we dont have video phone booths, we have mobiles,etc).
Which version did you see?  There are five (!) versions that have been released.  The 117-minute version from 2007 is the best, IMO.  It is known as the "25th Anniversary Edition."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2011, 07:13:59 AM
Which version did you see?  There are five (!) versions that have been released.  The 117-minute version from 2007 is the best, IMO.  It is known as the "25th Anniversary Edition."

Polish 'Beet' Edition.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

ET was crap.  ET remains crap.  Benevolent aliens are bullshit, unless they are Vulcans, and thus motivated by self-interest.

I voted for Khan, but it was a near thing.  On some other day, I may vote for BladeRunner.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2011, 07:17:29 AM
Polish 'Beet' Edition.
The Polish title actually translates as "TaterRunner."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Scipio

And for the record, if we're talking 1982 releases, Khan kicks BladeRunner's ass all over the place.  The 1982 release of BladeRunner is a hot mess, and not in a good way.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

grumbler

Khan was fun enough when it first came out, but had no legs (like all Star Trek movies).  I wouldn't turn on a TV to watch it today.

Conan had everything Khan had, plus better-looking chicks dressed in less.

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2011, 07:33:54 AM
Khan was fun enough when it first came out, but had no legs (like all Star Trek movies).  I wouldn't turn on a TV to watch it today.

Conan had everything Khan had, plus better-looking chicks dressed in less.
Nonsense.  Conan had only one scenery chewer- Khan was full of them.  Also, Khan had better music and better effects.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
The Wrath of Khan and his Shiny Prosthetic Pectorals was awesome swashbuckling fun at the time but looks terribly dated now.  Bladerunner and The Thing do not.  Slight edge to to The Thing, as the Bladerunner has some slow moody parts that The Thing does not.

I think they did have those, for a short period of time.  Wasn't successful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on July 17, 2011, 08:08:20 AM
Also, Khan had better music and better effects.
Disagree about the music, agree about the effects.  Khan's weren't good enough to be an asset, while Conan's were bad enough to be an asset.

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2011, 07:13:59 AM
[/quote]
Director's cut.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on July 17, 2011, 10:22:16 AM
Director's cut.
That's a good version, though the director (Scott) didn't like it because it wasn't actually done by him.  :lol:

IIRC, the DC still left out most of the evidence that Decker himself was a replicant.  The girl was a replicant in the DC, wasn't she?

I do recall that the DC got rid of the voiceovers.  That was important.

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2011, 01:27:10 AM
Speaking of which, this poll was inspired by SF-Debris' reopsting of their Star Trek II Review:
http://sfdebris.com/startrek/film2.asp

I actually like that guy's reviews a fair bit. His humour will not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is pretty good in analyzing movie/tv show plots IMO. He recently pulled a lot of his older reviews from YouTube and now re-releases them piecemeal, slightly edited, and with a few new reviews in between.

Yeah, SF Debris's good people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)