News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The End of the Space Age"

Started by Queequeg, June 30, 2011, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I can see omnivores as being superior to carnivores, but why carnivores would be superior to herbivores, from the point of view of evolving?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

sbr

Quote from: Siege on July 04, 2011, 02:08:55 PM
I can see omnivores as being superior to carnivores, but why carnivores would be superior to herbivores, from the point of view of evolving?

Meat eaters probably eat less by volume and don't need to eat as often. Just a guess.

Neil

Quote from: sbr on July 04, 2011, 02:14:16 PM
Meat eaters probably eat less by volume and don't need to eat as often. Just a guess.
Yep.  Meat contains more energy per given volume, so they don't have to spend all their time eating just to keep their body working.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Better is a bit disingenuous (fail rates for predators hunting are still very high), but it's assumed they're smarter than prey. Theory goes that predators are smarter since the need a strategy of some sort. prey just need to know how to run and hide.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2011, 02:16:52 PM
Better is a bit disingenuous (fail rates for predators hunting are still very high), but it's assumed they're smarter than prey. Theory goes that predators are smarter since the need a strategy of some sort. prey just need to know how to run and hide.
Mind you, some of the pack hunters have very high kill rates.  I'm thinking the wild dogs of Africa, for example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2011, 02:19:52 PM
Mind you, some of the pack hunters have very high kill rates.  I'm thinking the wild dogs of Africa, for example.
African wild dogs have an insane kill rate, but they're methd of hunting is different then most. they just keep chasing the animal at low speed so until it's too tired. Other cananines, like wolves, still have low success rates. most predators are at best ambush hunters. trying to catch weak prey off guard, but after an unsuccessful attempt kind of lay down and go "ahhh fuck it" :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

They can also be smarter because they eat meat.  Big brains require lots of energy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2011, 02:25:35 PM
African wild dogs have an insane kill rate, but they're methd of hunting is different then most. they just keep chasing the animal at low speed so until it's too tired. Other cananines, like wolves, still have low success rates. most predators are at best ambush hunters. trying to catch weak prey off guard, but after an unsuccessful attempt kind of lay down and go "ahhh fuck it" :lol:
Yeah.  Ambush predation is a risky business.  As our primitive ancestors could tell you (if they had language skills), persistance brings victory.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2011, 03:11:28 PM
They can also be smarter because they eat meat.  Big brains require lots of energy.
Yeah.  If you're a herbivore, you're probably better off putting your excess energy into becoming larger rather than a big brain and the support structures that such a brain requires.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2011, 04:11:39 PM

Yeah.  Ambush predation is a risky business.  As our primitive ancestors could tell you (if they had language skills), persistance brings victory.

Some Bushmen still hunt that way.  Takes like six hours or something.  I bet Aboriginal Australians (who lacked bows) hunted that way as well till the British got there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2011, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2011, 03:11:28 PM
Yeah.  If you're a herbivore, you're probably better off putting your excess energy into becoming larger rather than a big brain and the support structures that such a brain requires.

Why?  A big brain could certainly assist a herbivore as well - both in finding / gatehring food, as well as avoiding predators.

Not all herbivores are ruminants, which may be what you are thinking of when you think of herbivores.  A lot of rodents are fairly intelligent.  The beaver, for example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2011, 04:21:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2011, 04:11:39 PM

Some Bushmen still hunt that way.  Takes like six hours or something.  I bet Aboriginal Australians (who lacked bows) hunted that way as well till the British got there.

Yes, ambushing the British probably took much less time.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2011, 02:25:35 PM
African wild dogs have an insane kill rate, but they're methd of hunting is different then most. they just keep chasing the animal at low speed so until it's too tired.
That used to be one of the main human strategies before we invented projectile weapons.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2011, 12:21:59 PM
The issue with size is food requirements and energy usage, especially for herbivores.  Obviously it doesn't hurt having a very large skull and brain, but at the same time the elephant has an extremely elaborate cooling system for their heads to help overcome the heat.  They still need to add significant complexity to their brains in order to increase their intelligence, and they're going to have a lot of trouble with that without reducing their size.  And as the temperature increases, those problems are going to be exacerbated.

Assuming a world without humans, they could migrate north (or other elphantid branches that did live north might have lost their hair).  Of course, without humans, there'd be less (or none, or negative) rise in temperatures.

Of course, I have to assume a world without humans, because we arrived first, and are too well adapted to really share our habitat, which is virtually everywhere, with other megafauna.

By the way, Tyr, I liked that painting.  Something to do with Larry Niven?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 06:59:21 AM

By the way, Tyr, I liked that painting.  Something to do with Larry Niven?
You've never read Footfall! :o

It's one of the greatest alien invasion novels ever written, go to your library at once!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point