And we're back!

Main Menu

"The End of the Space Age"

Started by Queequeg, June 30, 2011, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2011, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 08:08:14 PM
The problem with space is there's not much up there.  If we could bring back space-gold or space-spices or space-slaves, that would be one thing.  As it is, there's no incentive to go into space.

Ungodly amounts of free energy, either in the form of direct insolation or hydrogen and helium-3.

The energy is not free.  You have to go up there and get it.  Something that is really fucking hard.  Helium-3 would require intensive mining, something that would be rather difficult.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2011, 08:38:37 PM
The problem with space is there's not much up there.  If we could bring back space-gold or space-spices or space-slaves, that would be one thing.  As it is, there's no incentive to go into space.

Ungodly amounts of free energy, either in the form of direct insolation or hydrogen and helium-3.
You could also beam down solar power from satellites.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 08:46:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2011, 08:31:27 PM

More unexpected? The probability of their being life on Europa is nearly 100%.

No, it's not.  That's asinine.
Where there is water there is life.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Nothing worth the cost, no. 

I guess I'm okay with some small-scale unmanned exploration, but only with a close eye on cost and some tangible benefits.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2011, 09:10:36 PM

you're the reason people mistrust science
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2011, 07:21:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 30, 2011, 07:17:01 PM
The pessimistic, whiny tone of people who flail their arms about the shuttle program ending drives me up the wall.  They're the ones that are too short-sighted to realize that, well, sometimes you need to wait.

They're the Veruca Salts of the space program: the technological paradigm will eventually shift, but they just want to see it now, not four or six generations from now.

Can't fight the seether!  :punk:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2011, 09:10:36 PM

And you base this on what?  The vast number of planets discovered by science that have both water and life?  It's not even know how or why life developed on Earth.  It's not entirely clear as to even when.  Life has never been observed spontaneously occurring.  For all we know, it could have been a one time event, and something occurs very rarely.  And since it's likely that oceans predate life, there is clear evidence that you can have water without life.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Well, we have decent hypotheses as to how, and we do know it was not at all long after the Late Heavy Bombardment.  Archaea and bacteria are extremely old, and evidently did not need much time (geologically speaking) to develop.  The abbreviated period between the formation and cooling of the Earth and the appearance of life suggests that unicellular organism are unlikely to be extremely rare.  Probably not "wherever there is liquid water" (Europa has its own problems, although it could have an ecosystem based on extremophiles as primary producers), but I find it very difficult to believe that Earth or its solar system are special.

Multicellular life is evidently more difficult to arrive at, but if it's common, I wouldn't be sure intelligent life would be that rare.  Hell, there are a half dozen species on Earth that approach human intelligence.  And intelligence is an obvious adaptation.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

My theory is that Europa is populated by mermaids.

Crazy_Ivan80

It's space, it's there and that's enough to guarantee that people will go.

as it is the space age is only about as old as the time between henry the navigator and the discovery of the americas. It's only just begun.

The Brain

The Space Age (v1.0) as it was envisioned in the 50s ended when Apollo was scrapped and focus shifted from grand exploration to orbit taxis. FWIW my impression is that if we don't suffer major civilizational setbacks we will see humans going into the solar system to do stuff instead of just planting the flag (a Space Age 2.0), but it won't happen soon.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 09:04:31 PMHelium-3 would require intensive mining, something that would be rather difficult.

God, everything's a sequel nowadays isn't it?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

Helium 2 - Faster Than The Speed Of Sound was quite decent.

Ed Anger

Helium-4: Electric Bugaloo was shallow and pedantic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive