News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The End of the Space Age"

Started by Queequeg, June 30, 2011, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2011, 07:09:24 AM
There are other materials out there. There's one asteroid which is believed to be pretty much solid gold.

Believed, sure, but you'd have to survey it before investing the resources for a mining operation, and depending on the status of orbit, you may find you've got a narrow opportunity to get in and get out.  Mining asteroids wouldn't be as simple as "hey, we think Material X is on this asteroid- send some diggers."

Not to mention logistics of getting the materials back to Earth.  I'd bet on a "tugboat" kind of vessel, controlled explosions to break off chunks of the asteroid and send them toward Earth, where they get decelerated in or near Earth orbit; a space elevator would be a tremendous help there for sending chunks for terrestrial refining without burning off precious metals during entry into the atmosphere.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 02, 2011, 07:51:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2011, 07:09:24 AM
There are other materials out there. There's one asteroid which is believed to be pretty much solid gold.

Believed, sure, but you'd have to survey it before investing the resources for a mining operation, and depending on the status of orbit, you may find you've got a narrow opportunity to get in and get out.  Mining asteroids wouldn't be as simple as "hey, we think Material X is on this asteroid- send some diggers."
Who said it would be? Of course they'd survey first.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2011, 01:20:50 AM

Regarding size and climate, elephants are probably the second smartest animal on the planet, very close to human level, capable of some abstract thought and possibly even capable of moral reasoning.  They are also the largest terrestrial mammal and live in hot climates.  I'm not saying this isn't kind of counterintuitive, given the waste heat generated by a busy brain, but there they are.  (Suggestively, elephants are also one of the few non-primates situated to manipulate their environment in a more-or-less-finely-tuned manner.  If humans had never evolved, or stopped existing right now, I think it'd be really interesting to see what happened with elephants in ten million years.)

But as for sociality, that's definitely necessary.  I occasionally wonder if the major stumbling block to intelligence is the development of very high-investment reproductive strategies such as employed by primates, elephants, and cetaceans to a high degree, and just about all mammals to some degree.
Dolphins are smarter than Elephants.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Which percentage of humanity is dumber than the smartest animals? Rough guesstimate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2011, 10:17:08 AM

Regarding size and climate, elephants are probably the second smartest animal on the planet, very close to human level, capable of some abstract thought and possibly even capable of moral reasoning.  They are also the largest terrestrial mammal and live in hot climates.  I'm not saying this isn't kind of counterintuitive, given the waste heat generated by a busy brain, but there they are.  (Suggestively, elephants are also one of the few non-primates situated to manipulate their environment in a more-or-less-finely-tuned manner.  If humans had never evolved, or stopped existing right now, I think it'd be really interesting to see what happened with elephants in ten million years.)

But as for sociality, that's definitely necessary.  I occasionally wonder if the major stumbling block to intelligence is the development of very high-investment reproductive strategies such as employed by primates, elephants, and cetaceans to a high degree, and just about all mammals to some degree.

Elephants are more serious.  Dolphins are like the potheads of the mammalian species.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 02, 2011, 07:53:53 PM

Elephants are more serious.  Dolphins are like the potheads of the mammalian species.
Orcas are as smart as Elephants, are they not serious?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

How exactly do you compare the intelligence of a whale to an elephant?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2011, 08:17:32 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 02, 2011, 07:53:53 PM

How many African villages get stamped out by a rampaging Orca?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 02, 2011, 08:37:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2011, 08:17:32 PM

How many African villages get stamped out by a rampaging Orca?

Point.

CountDeMoney

Gotta admit though;  that'd be one motherfucker of an orca.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2011, 10:21:55 AM
Which percentage of humanity is dumber than the smartest animals? Rough guesstimate.

Generally or as evidenced here ?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 08:37:34 PM

All those krill questions on the IQ tests are biased against Dumbo.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2011, 10:13:11 PM
All those krill questions on the IQ tests are biased against Dumbo.

OK, that was a stupid fucking gag.  You get the shovel for that one.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 08:37:34 PM

Figure how much smarter than Timmay each of them is, and compare the 2 figures.

Neil

I guess it depends on what you mean by major.  Extrapolating from the example of the moon, Earth would have had 22,000 impacts sufficient to develop a 20km crater.  Assuming the LHB was 4.2-3.9Gya, that's once about every 14,000 years.  And there were much larger impacts as well.  (According to this NASA chick Cohen, anyway.)
It's the much large impacts we're interested in here, as the proto-life would have been somewhat hardy.
QuoteI do think there are requirements, but don't think you're right on all of them.

The issue with size is food requirements and energy usage, especially for herbivores.  Obviously it doesn't hurt having a very large skull and brain, but at the same time the elephant has an extremely elaborate cooling system for their heads to help overcome the heat.  They still need to add significant complexity to their brains in order to increase their intelligence, and they're going to have a lot of trouble with that without reducing their size.  And as the temperature increases, those problems are going to be exacerbated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.