News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The End of the Space Age"

Started by Queequeg, June 30, 2011, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 05, 2011, 12:30:31 PM
It would require some knowledge of Human anatomy to do that.  Which means they would need to capture humans.
What makes you think they haven't.

Siege

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 12:33:48 PM
It would require some knowledge of Human anatomy to do that.  Which means they would need to capture humans.

An almost impossible task for aliens who have developed the ability to travel to other habitable planets.

Exactly. They would be so civilized that their rules of engagement will not allow them to kidnap humans unless the human inquestion have kidnapped one of them first.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on July 05, 2011, 12:49:55 PM
What makes you think they haven't.

Cause nobody has seen them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 05, 2011, 12:48:00 PM
99.9% fatality rate leaves 6 million people, presumably some of them will have access to US/Russian/PRC/Euro armories. The alien invasion force is likely to be much smaller than that, though having superior firepower. So there's still potential for some good ground battles.

Ha. Right.

There are 6 billion humans, of those, about 60 millions have ever used a weapon outside a video game.
Of those, about 6 million would have actual combat training in these times of peace.
Of those, about 600 000 would have actual combat tested combat skills that could be used against aliens.

Now, in case of an alien invasion, all us soldier boys in active service will be dead during the first week, and only the few civilians that survived would be left to find your weapons and fight.
Lets just say that the learning curve will have a high attrition rate.

And in the end, every alien invasion movie is nothing more than an analogy of western invasion of 3rd world countries.

Eddie Teach

The aliens are likely to be mainly civilians as well. But you're right that they'd win out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2011, 12:51:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 12:33:48 PM

An almost impossible task for aliens who have developed the ability to travel to other habitable planets.

Exactly. They would be so civilized that their rules of engagement will not allow them to kidnap humans unless the human inquestion have kidnapped one of them first.

if they've come this far  they want something. if they only want to study us they'd send probes or something. why send a fleet if they just want to say hello. if an alien fleet ever comes kiss your ass goodbye
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 05, 2011, 01:08:33 PM
The aliens are likely to be mainly civilians as well. But you're right that they'd win out.

I agree. It will probably be some deep space exploration ship.
Or maybe a trade ship looking for exotic goods. Maybe art pieces.

Worst would be a ship belonging to a mining company.
If there are rare valuable minerals at our planets' core that we don't know about, we are fucked.
A mining company would have no use for us. Some form of extermination will be in store for us.
Maybe asteroids, if that is the cheapest way.
If nukes are cheap for them, they just need to show one little ship in orbit and start nuking our cities.
By the 3rd city, our society would collapse, panic would ensue, and we would starve ourselves.
Society would collapse into anarchy all the way down to the warlord level.
We would fight each other for scraps of food.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

The alien(s) will be solar system sized clouds of sentient gas.  They will just envelop the entire solar system and transmute all the life and materials and resources therein into energy that it will then consume.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 05, 2011, 12:48:00 PM
99.9% fatality rate leaves 6 million people, presumably some of them will have access to US/Russian/PRC/Euro armories. The alien invasion force is likely to be much smaller than that, though having superior firepower. So there's still potential for some good ground battles.

That's why I said a couple of viruses with 99.9% fatality rates.

Quote from: PRCThe alien(s) will be solar system sized clouds of sentient gas.  They will just envelop the entire solar system and transmute all the life and materials and resources therein into energy that it will then consume.

Not on Ferro Lad's watch.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Wait a minute - they would make us breed?

I for one welcome our new alien overlords who can take over our planet with no need of a ground war.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 11:39:04 AM
I don't read books that don't have pictures in them.  It's inefficient.

Anyway, I really doubt any book that features ground combat can possibly be one of the "greatest alien invasion novels ever written," since aliens would never need to deign to resort to infantry tactics.  It would be like instead of dropping the bomb, just landing the Enola Gay on Uchibori Street, running up to the palace, and challenging Hirohito to a swordfight instead.
You should read it, if you like SF.  It is dated, but one of the better Niven-Pournelle books, and they made a pretty good team.

Unlike you, the authors don't start with the assumption that they will create a society which will win an encounter with humans with trivial ease.  They instead create a society with social norms and expectations, and play with the idea of how those would impact the success of their invasion.  Your hypothetical "America" wouldn't need to deign to engage in ground combat in Iraq; it would just nuke the country and kill everyone.  Your "America" is boring, though, so your book would suck.

Footfall isn't brilliant (it was nominated for several awards, but didn't win) but is well above average for a SF book.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Thinking of books that touch on the subject material in this thread, anybody read the Cobra Trilogy by Timothy Zahn?
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2011, 03:33:18 PM

Anyway, I really doubt any book that features ground combat can possibly be one of the "greatest alien invasion novels ever written," since aliens would never need to deign to resort to infantry tactics.  It would be like instead of dropping the bomb, just landing the Enola Gay on Uchibori Street, running up to the palace, and challenging Hirohito to a swordfight instead.
You should read it, if you like SF.  It is dated, but one of the better Niven-Pournelle books, and they made a pretty good team.

Unlike you, the authors don't start with the assumption that they will create a society which will win an encounter with humans with trivial ease.  They instead create a society with social norms and expectations, and play with the idea of how those would impact the success of their invasion.  Your hypothetical "America" wouldn't need to deign to engage in ground combat in Iraq; it would just nuke the country and kill everyone.  Your "America" is boring, though, so your book would suck.

I wouldn't necessarily suck, but it would probably be pretty depressing.

QuoteFootfall isn't brilliant (it was nominated for several awards, but didn't win) but is well above average for a SF book.

Ah, well, I may check it out some time then.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2011, 07:03:15 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 06:59:21 AM

By the way, Tyr, I liked that painting.  Something to do with Larry Niven?
You've never read Footfall! :o

It's one of the greatest alien invasion novels ever written, go to your library at once!

They spam Rods From God everyway and drop an 5km asteroid on the planet. What more do you want?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point