News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"The End of the Space Age"

Started by Queequeg, June 30, 2011, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

The problem with space is there's not much up there.  If we could bring back space-gold or space-spices or space-slaves, that would be one thing.  As it is, there's no incentive to go into space.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on June 30, 2011, 07:54:27 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 30, 2011, 07:48:57 PM
Even if we colonize the distant planets, the human race is still ultimately doomed.

:rolleyes:
unless we totally stop evolving, then PP is technically right.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

The fact is that the robotic exploration program has been a huge success, sufficient to render humans obsolete, certainly for any mission beyond the earth's orbit. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on June 30, 2011, 06:52:02 PM
Exploding population+exploding consumption of natural resources=The Road by the end of the century unless we start moving some stuff off planet.

Which planet are you referring to?

On earth, population growth rates are in decline.  China is on the cusp of a demographic bust and Japan and Europe all already well into one.  Even in India, the rate of growth has began to moderate for the first time since the 1920s.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

From The Economist.Unless life turns up on Mars, or somewhere even more unexpected, public interest in the whole thing is likely to wane. And it is the public that pays for it all.

More unexpected? The probability of there being life on Europa is nearly 100%.

Asteroid mining will be a Trillion dollar industry by the end of the century.

This man is a fool.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2011, 07:07:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2011, 07:05:11 PM
Give it time.

Yup.  In the course of human history, this is simply a plateau.  There will be a future for humanity in outer space.  Just not in our immediate future.
Unfortunately, it won't be Westerners going into space.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2011, 08:31:27 PM
Asteroid mining will be Trillion dollar industry by the end of the century.

:contract:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 08:08:14 PM
The problem with space is there's not much up there.  If we could bring back space-gold or space-spices or space-slaves, that would be one thing.  As it is, there's no incentive to go into space.

There's plenty of fucking gold in the asteroid belt.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

From The Economist.Unless life turns up on Mars, or somewhere even more unexpected, public interest in the whole thing is likely to wane. And it is the public that pays for it all.

More unexpected? The probability of their being life on Europa is nearly 100%.

Asteroid mining will be Trillion dollar industry by the end of the century.

This man is a fool.
... I fear for koreas future
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Hey, one out of those three sentences was error-free!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 30, 2011, 08:14:15 PM
The fact is that the robotic exploration program has been a huge success, sufficient to render humans obsolete, certainly for any mission beyond the earth's orbit.
This.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2011, 08:08:14 PM

Ungodly amounts of free energy, either in the form of direct insolation or hydrogen and helium-3.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

On earth, population growth rates are in decline.  China is on the cusp of a demographic bust and Japan and Europe all already well into one.  Even in India, the rate of growth has began to moderate for the first time since the 1920s.
As Africa explodes, and India's moderate is still far more than it will be able to handle if there are substantial changes in river flows as a result of climate change in the next century. 

I think resource consumption is more of an issue.  What will happen when the average Chinese woman consumes as much as the average Bulgarian, let alone the average Spaniard? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

More unexpected? The probability of their being life on Europa is nearly 100%.

No, it's not.  That's asinine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

Quote from: Habbaku on June 30, 2011, 08:06:39 PM
Yes, I suppose the universe will eventually die out, so we're doomed that way.

Yes. In our universe, I'm afraid it's not just women over 30 who are affected by entropy.   :(